Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 10, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #51,632 of 63,914
Oct 10, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #51,634 of 63,914
i must have played Dire Straits, Love Over Gold thousands of times, but must admit that i've really heard it today for the first time... all those tiny details in Private investigations...
Brilliant track! One of my favourites.

Oct 11, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #51,636 of 63,914
These asx look elusive. No review yet. I am pretty hyped about them. I have the c12 on the way but a full ba looks appealing to me. I hope we will have some response graphs by the beginning of november.
Its because its not released yet. It will start shipping on Oct.15. Hopefully they process it fast because I have already pre-ordered one.

Oct 11, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #51,638 of 63,914
What is actually new with the ASX and ASF?
New editions of the old BA drivers right?
Anything else?
That and new all BA driver IEM. Most of their new releases have been hybrid.

Oct 12, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #51,639 of 63,914
Damnit. The transparant pieces around the connector for my KZ ZS10 pro broke. The cable now moves loosely over the connector and won't stay in. Is this common, and how do I fix it?
How is it called anyway? I have a 3D printer available.
kz.jpg

Mine broke too, first the right monitor and then the left. In the end I gave up and superglued them. Hasn’t been a problem for me since. Could always use use acetone (carefully) to dissolve the glue layer in if I needed too but I don’t need the cable for anything else.

Oct 12, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #51,640 of 63,914
I have the ZAX coming soon. I am confused so far by the reviews of it here on Head Fi, there are three very different opinions. We have cool mids, warm mids, lack of treble extension, good treble extension, wide soundstage, average soundstage! It will be interesting to see how mine sound in comparison.

Oct 12, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #51,641 of 63,914
I have the ZAX coming soon. I am confused so far by the reviews of it here on Head Fi, there are three very different opinions. We have cool mids, warm mids, lack of treble extension, good treble extension, wide soundstage, average soundstage! It will be interesting to see how mine sound in comparison.

what i've found out with my actual limited hardware is that the ZAX, being so easy to drive and revealing, requires adequate source files and adequate music player. The Onkyo HF player for android is giving me way better output in every aspects compared to any other player i tried, and i've tried many.
my beloved neutron for example has a much smaller soundstage in which voices may sound recessed while onkyo with its much wider soundstage and precision places voice exactly where the sound engineer wanted them placed.

Oct 12, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #51,642 of 63,914
what i've found out with my actual limited hardware is that the ZAX, being so easy to drive and revealing, requires adequate source files and adequate music player. The Onkyo HF player for android is giving me way better output in every aspects compared to any other player i tried, and i've tried many.
my beloved neutron for example has a much smaller soundstage in which voices may sound recessed while onkyo with its much wider soundstage and precision places voice exactly where the sound engineer wanted them placed.

*Cries in Spotify 320kbps

Oct 12, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #51,643 of 63,914
I hardly hear any different from lossless to mp3 320kbps. Of course it has to be a real 320kbps not from 128kbps upscaled to 320kbps.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #51,644 of 63,914

not sure, my KZ ZS10 Pro is heavily modded, as you can see, the sound profile is close to ZAX.

I have not put ZAX on DAC/amps yet, only playing it on Iphone for now.

So far, I can't put ZAX on full volume with the stock star tip, to me, the sibilance is real. Maybe because I got used to CCA CA16 profile. However, on low volume level, with Comply tip, it's good for classical, jazz, marvin gaye album for sure and my imogene dragon.

Bad for KPOP female

As far as CCA CA16 I like it better for use daily, but you have to have an exact tip, CP800 or CP100. if you want more treble extension, thinner mids, go with CP100. CP800 will make the mids fuller, but will dampen the treble more.

I did eq my CCA CA16 previously, NOT GOOD for eq-ing, sounded really bad. CCA CA16 definitely not for EQ - using pyle audio amps/eq. I don't think CCA CA16 can handle party style power, but again, unless you are deaf, I don't think you will amp your CA16 to that level.

Not sure, but to me my CCA CA16 on Iphone sounded better than Westone W60.

As you know, high end driver, usually need to be paired with a good amp to drive their full potential. So, when I said sounded like $1000, was without amping or eq-ing it.

expensive IEM without a good amp - sounds like a tin can.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #51,645 of 63,914
not sure, my KZ ZS10 Pro is heavily modded, as you can see, the sound profile is close to ZAX.

I have not put ZAX on DAC/amps yet, only playing it on Iphone for now.

So far, I can't put ZAX on full volume with the stock star tip, to me, the sibilance is real. Maybe because I got used to CCA CA16 profile. However, on low volume level, with Comply tip, it's good for classical, jazz, marvin gaye album for sure and my imogene dragon.

Bad for KPOP female

As far as CCA CA16 I like it better for use daily, but you have to have an exact tip, CP800 or CP100. if you want more treble extension, thinner mids, go with CP100. CP800 will make the mids fuller, but will dampen the treble more.

I did eq my CCA CA16 previously, NOT GOOD for eq-ing, sounded really bad. CCA CA16 definitely not for EQ - using pyle audio amps/eq. I don't think CCA CA16 can handle party style power, but again, unless you are deaf, I don't think you will amp your CA16 to that level.

Not sure, but to me my CCA CA16 on Iphone sounded better than Westone W60.

As you know, high end driver, usually need to be paired with a good amp to drive their full potential. So, when I said sounded like $1000, was without amping or eq-ing it.

expensive IEM without a good amp - sounds like a tin can.
ZAX expose sibilance when the recording is mixed in a way that is sibilant, it does not introduce sibilance where it doesn't exist in the mix. CA16 kills the treble so much that I've never heard it sss-ing but that's more of a con than a pro to me.

ZAX don't benefit whatsoever from amping. I tried it out, they're sensitive enough to play great from pretty much anything, including onboard laptop audio and any phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back