Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 28, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #50,116 of 64,385
Thanks for the replies guys!

Bluetooth 5.0 should provide less lag compared to 4.0 right?
The Z1 seems to have BT 5.0 and AAC, the same with S2, so in theory would it provide the same performance? The Z1 is interesting and I like the design better.

The KZ Bluetooth cables has 300-500ms latency? Wow. I thought the BT 5.0 + aptX-HD cable would be better than that.

The S2 does have a "low latency/performance mode", based on several Head-Fi reviews https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-s2.24302/.
And on the official KZ store in my country it is advertised "with gaming mode" https://www.tokopedia.com/kz-official/knowledge-kz-s2-hybrid-tws-headset-bluetooth-with-gaming-mode

But I'm not sure how low the latency is with the so called "performance mode"

Gosh, 150ms latency? That's borderline unplayable for online gaming. I guess even aptX-HD is a no go for me.
Do you know any affordable AptX-LL IEMs? Apparently the list on aptx.com is not exhaustive. The KZ bluetooth cables aren't there.

Problem is my phone don't have a 3.5mm jack. I used a Baseus 3.5mm & Type-C combo adapter, but it broke on me after a couple months of use due to the weird angle of the connector (the adapter cable got nicked and left me with audio only on one ear). I bought another one but lost it before I got to use it. I spent $15 total for the two Baseuses (Baseii?). It got me thinking to buy a wireless IEM for like $30 and be done with it.

Have you tried any the more expensive TWS IEMs for gaming? Which one?
I think you should ask the guys over at the wireless thread.

This one: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/going-fully-wireless-iems-too-soon-or-are-we-there-yet.861024/

May 28, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #50,117 of 64,385
@elzafir - the KZ Z1 is dynamic driver only. I say this as you want a hybrid design. For me it's an absolutely fantastic little TWS, but my needs are entirely different to yours. I neither know nor care about lag for gaming as I simply don't use it for that. They don't lag enough to put YouTube videos out of sync, that's about all I can tell you.

May 28, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #50,118 of 64,385
@elzafirThey don't lag enough to put YouTube videos out of sync, that's about all I can tell you.

The BT protocol has the ability to communicate the latency to the host so the host can delay video playback by the latency amount to keep things in sync. (In online games you can’t do that, so you will always experience BT latency in games.)

May 28, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #50,119 of 64,385
My backup ED9 arrived today. Except for the BL-03, this is the only pair of IEMs that I have two of. To me they're truly great, and not only "for the price".
IMG_20200528_204352.jpg
I went with the silver colour this time and I gotta say I like them even more than the black ones.
My unit came with a defect, but nothing a little E8000 glue wouldn't fix.
IMG_20200528_183738.jpg

May 29, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #50,121 of 64,385
Does the cable with MIC makes any difference in sound quality compare to cable without MIC? thanks
It shouldn't, the mic uses a separate wire independent from the left and right wires.

The only difference might be the thickness of the cable on the side with the mic but usually only a very thin strand of wire (running down the center) is used so it wouldn't be noticeable.

May 29, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #50,123 of 64,385
Does the cable with MIC makes any difference in sound quality compare to cable without MIC? thanks

Some of my friends use measuring equipment and they do report occasionally in some budget cables, the side with a Mic has increased resistance, which possibly may cause channel imbalance. Generally an added Mic is also a potential point of failure in the signal chain, so for pure music purposes, I prefer non Mic cables. But I understand some of us need the IEM to be multi functional for calls and work purposes, so YMMV.

May 29, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #50,124 of 64,385
Rip KZ, they stopped pushing the fidelity in favor of the TWS stuff.
That seemed like a cool direction until you realize that the only thing they can do is just integrate the same qualcomm crap everyone else has access to. Not even into their already developed lineup.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #50,125 of 64,385
Rip KZ, they stopped pushing the fidelity in favor of the TWS stuff.
That seemed like a cool direction until you realize that the only thing they can do is just integrate the same qualcomm crap everyone else has access to. Not even into their already developed lineup.

Well KZ (or sister company CCA) just released a CCA CA16, their first wired gear in the last 6 months or so. (not to be confused with the older CCA C16).

We're waiting for reviews on this new set, so stay tuned.

May 29, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #50,126 of 64,385
Well KZ (or sister company CCA) just released a CCA CA16, their first wired gear in the last 6 months or so. (not to be confused with the older CCA C16).

We're waiting for reviews on this new set, so stay tuned.
I hope that's where things are going for CCA if KZ really goes all in on TWS and doesn't look back.

Though I'd still prefer both CCA and KZ releasing wired iems.

May 29, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #50,128 of 64,385
Definitely a wired version of the Z1. I'd love to hear it fed by a decent DAC.

May 29, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #50,130 of 64,385
Hello, i have some KZ:

ATE, ED9, ZST, ZS3, ED12, ED3...

I like the bass, middle part of the ATE, and the medium high part of the ED9 ( vocals seems too nasal/old telephone sound for me, but they have a high sensitivity and they can manage a good amount of power...)

Is there a model that combine those characteristics?

Maybe with a little more bass, but for me is more important the overall sound quality and how they can handle the power...

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back