Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 3, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #49,621 of 63,914
There’s a significant drop in traffic to HeadFi in general due to the global pandemic. As you might imagine, that is a slightly more important issue for most people right now.

In addition, the KZ thread has not been very active lately due to basically no new models being released lately.

I’d answer your eartip recommendation question, but unfortunately I don’t own the ZSX.
Thank you man.
I would be very interested to know a couple of your favorite non KZ branded tips , and i will keep it in mind that i will have to be responsible for making sure they fit the ZSX.
Have a good one man & thank you.

Apr 3, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #49,622 of 63,914
In an attempt to keep myself sane during self quarantine, I've been modding some of my extra iems. Just finished these ED9s today.
20200403_191350.jpg

Apr 3, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #49,623 of 63,914
Thank you man.
I would be very interested to know a couple of your favorite non KZ branded tips , and i will keep it in mind that i will have to be responsible for making sure they fit the ZSX.

A few of my favorite non-KZ tips are Auvio, Azla SednaEarfit Light, Tennmak Whirlwind/Turbo wide bores, the stock tips from Sony MH755, the stock tips from Rock Zircon, and generic Sony Hybrid tips.

Also, don’t forget that you can convert your stock KZ Starline tips into ‘FlipTips’. You may find that you like those better than the regular KZ tips.

Apr 3, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #49,624 of 63,914
In an attempt to keep myself sane during self quarantine, I've been modding some of my extra iems. Just finished these ED9s today. 20200403_191350.jpg

Nice job!

Those are awesome looking. I love the gold and black. I’ve always wanted to do that to mine. Now I can see what it would look like :)

Apr 4, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #49,625 of 63,914
I'm curious. Are my posts not showing up in this thread or does nobody here give a single screw to even acknowledge my posts?
If you like foamies, this is good, better than the newbee foamies imho. For me, the starline silicone tips fits me good, but I like foamies too.
Earphone Tips F FEYCH Premium Replacement Earbud Tips Memory Foam Earphone Tips Blocking Noise Foam Tips Suit for 4.5-6.3mm Nozzle in-Ear Earphones with Storage Box(Small, 6 Pairs, Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SJSTB44/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_wIaIEbBVAM3D8

Apr 4, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #49,626 of 63,914
You know, I’ve been thinking about that. I wonder if the nickname they gave the ZSX -> “Terminator of Hybrid Technology”, was their way of saying ‘this is the last of its kind from us; the best we can do; the pinnacle of the KZ hybrid line of wired earphones’. Terminate means the ending of something.

Seeing how they and CCA haven’t come out with a single wired model after the ZSX, it might signal that as far as KZ is concerned, it’s TWS from here on out. Sure seems to be that way...
If that's the case, then it's a shame. Many of their wired earphones sound great, but there are still a lot of problems with TWS sets, and tbh, I'm not inclined to buy a set for the sheer fact that I'd be worried about losing one or both while wearing them. Even the crappy cables they normally ship with (sans chin slider) on their wired sets will at least prevent them from falling down the drain or under the wheels of a passing car. Just give me a good sounding wired set, and I'll do bluetooth with something like an ES100, BTR5/3. I might look at TWS again in a few years, but right now they just ain't there yet.
Thank you man.
I don't own the ZSX, but I do have it's predecessor the ZS10 PRO. I use Newbee foams on it, as well as on all my other iems (Moondrop Kanas PRO, TFZ NO.3, Nicehck NX7). I prefer the isolation of these soft memory foam tips compared to silicones, and they don't make my ears so sweaty that the iems either fall out or cause me ear discomfort. I've got another set of foams on the way from Anjirui on Aliexpress for 10 pairs that look like Newbees but are less expensive. Hope this helps you

Apr 4, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #49,629 of 63,914
How many TWS does KZ have now anyway?

I remember I reviewed the KZ E10 before and while I liked the sound of it (second only to the KZ ZSX), the issues it had with the Bluetooth modules made it impossible to use for me.

That said, I'm looking forward to reviewing the KZ S2. I like that it seems to borrow the Sabbat E12's physical button instead of a touch interface.

Apr 4, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #49,630 of 63,914

I remember I reviewed the KZ E10 before and while I liked the sound of it (second only to the KZ ZSX), the issues it had with the Bluetooth modules made it impossible to use for me.

That said, I'm looking forward to reviewing the KZ S2. I like that it seems to borrow the Sabbat E12's physical button instead of a touch interface.

They kicked things off with the T1, which they always called a public beta (or something like that) and as far as I know, not available anymore. Was 42$ in nice metal case. Biggest fail was the 'volume hump' ... there's like no increment between 30% and 70% ... i still like them

Then the E10, which I know many many MANY people have connection issues with. I guess I got lucky, I barely have an issue ... my issue with them is that they are clunky to put on .. and I need to put different tips on, with which they don't fit into the case. And since sometimes for re-pairing they have to be in the case and you have to press a button (super cumbersome), this makes for a bit of an ordeal ... on the other hand, only AptX and 1DD+4AA makes this technically one of the most advanced TWS I own. Still available for 60$

And then new-ish, the S1 / S1D for 20-22$ ... nice, similar to the T1, but less 'premium' feel (cheapo case), does not have the volume hump, but also does not dazzle me as much as the T1, although same setup (1DD 1BA in the S1)

kztwss.jpg

Apr 5, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #49,631 of 63,914

The S2 has touch controls though. not physical buttons :joy:

Apr 5, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #49,633 of 63,914
So, overall, what is the most balanced and neutral KZ?
ZSX is fairly neutral, but I would recommend the BA10, if you can get a good fit.

Apr 5, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #49,634 of 63,914
So, overall, what is the most balanced and neutral KZ?
ZSX and BA10 are a very good answer.

ZSX is definitely a KZ's masterpiece hybrid IEM for the average HiFi tastes (especially considering ZSX price).

BA10 is a luxury/upgrade version of AS10 (the same set of drivers). The latter offers more friendly fit.

From AS10 to BA10 to AS16 (KZ line of fairly neutral all-BA IEMs), treble becomes progressively more prominent.

Apr 5, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #49,635 of 63,914
Here's what a good bass BA can do: BA10 with this track:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back