Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 1, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #49,592 of 63,917
PSA TO ALL ZSX OWNERS: VENT YOUR IEMs!!!

I was missing the sound of open back headphones. I freaking love the zsx terminators but the one thing I hated the congested sound. and the bass feels like it’s “trapped” sometimes like it’s too powerful for the housing. So I fixed it.

I was reading about vented iems for better bass.
so I decided I have nothing to lose. And neither do you.

I put them in a vice grip and took my smallest drill bit (1/16”) and carefully made a tiny hole on the “wing” of the housing on the back side

you can cover it up with tape for the original sound

I can’t believe how much more relaxed the sound is and the bass is a bit less impact but feels so much more real and spacious now.

it’s well worth the 5 minute it took me to do the mod and I’m freaking out about how GOOD it sounds.

if you go slow until the drill breaks thru you won’t break anything on the inside.
VENTED ZSX FTW!!!!

F4BB0C2C-D66D-4249-B6AB-B8DD4B95EC21.jpeg

Apr 1, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #49,593 of 63,917
Just arrived: BA10. After a quick listen I can pronounce these as the best KZ I have tried so far. I prefer them to the ZSX and even the ZS7, which they resemble except the BA10 sounds tighter. No fit issues, either as I have large ear canals. They sound softer than expected, nothing like A10 or C16 and are more similar to TRN BA5, but the sub bass is massive! Thanks, Podster, for recommending these!

Apr 1, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #49,594 of 63,917
Just arrived: BA10. After a quick listen I can pronounce these as the best KZ I have tried so far. I prefer them to the ZSX and even the ZS7, which they resemble except the BA10 sounds tighter. No fit issues, either as I have large ear canals. They sound softer than expected, nothing like A10 or C16 and are more similar to TRN BA5, but the sub bass is massive! Thanks, Podster, for recommending these!
Do you have AS10 to compare with? They share the same drivers. BA10 are definitely tighter.

I now largely listen to AS16, I gradually learned to enjoy the elevated treble, and they do everything for me at the moment - brilliant with string quartets.

Apr 1, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #49,595 of 63,917
Speak about the devil, after months of radiosilence, KZ are coming up with a new TWS KZ S2:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kz-s2-next-generation-hybrid-tws-in-ear-monitors/coming_soon
https://www.linsoul.com/pages/kz-s2

For those that bought their recent wireless gear, I read there were connectivity problems? Hopefully it is fixed with this.

Just noticed that linsoul's own page now says that the KZ S2 is aac only and using realtek 8763 instead of the qcc3020. hmmm....

Apr 1, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #49,597 of 63,917
I was interested in buying the AS16 but they are still so expensive. I have the AS10 but never tried the BA10 due to the shape of it.

I would wait on feedback for the KZ S2 before ordering them.

I think AS16 is KZ's most expensive KZ still to date. But it didn't sell that well cause at the $100 price range, there's lots of competition. Reviews were also equivocal for it at some audio sites/blogs. Seems their sister's CCA C16 sold better, and it was no doubt cheaper too. At the budget segment, a mere difference of $20 - 30 can swing sales.

KZ is still a big market leader at the sub $50 range and I thought they would press on their advantage after the successful KZ ZSX (terminator), but seems they are putting their money on the wireless segment these days.

I'm definitely gonna wait for reviews on the KZ S2, KZ's track record with wireless gear isn't the most stellar.

Apr 1, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #49,598 of 63,917
Do you have AS10 to compare with? They share the same drivers. BA10 are definitely tighter.

I now largely listen to AS16, I gradually learned to enjoy the elevated treble, and they do everything for me at the moment - brilliant with string quartets.
No, I do not have the AS10. The ZS7 shares the same mid and treble BAs and the BA10 sounds similar but the bass BA is superb, better than the TRR BA5 or any CCA model I have.I

Apr 1, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #49,599 of 63,917

I would have to agree but for balls to the wall rock I'm still on board with the ZSX or ZS7's , not that I like KZ (16 Pair) or anything:smirk:

Glow Plugs.JPG

Rock-ItZ.JPG

I got my ZSX on sale for $36 and IMO for that price they are some serious rockers and I like their bass just the way it is so I'm by-passing the port hole Mod and if I want less bass I'll wear my BA10's:wink:

I've actually been working on my Laptop all day at home letting these two duke it out to classic rock albums and for the price I paid the ZSX takes the M6 down even with BGVP filters in them. I like my M6 but they cater to softer passage stuff for my ears where as the X's light up from end to end and at half the VU. For me they are closer to a ZS6 but as always we all hear them just a bit differently:beerchug:

A Gray Area.JPG

Guess it's just a GRAY area:open_mouth: LOL

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #49,600 of 63,917
Not sure if I wanna take the plunge in the ZSX. I'm loving my ZS10 PRO so much, I'm not sure i can justify getting this set. With the music i listen to, i cant justify spending more. ZS10 PRO is my current favorite.

Apr 1, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #49,601 of 63,917
Not sure if I wanna take the plunge in the ZSX. I'm loving my ZS10 PRO so much, I'm not sure i can justify getting this set. With the music i listen to, i cant justify spending more. ZS10 PRO is my current favorite.
ZS10 PRO are more wild and cheerful. I once listened to electric guitars like I've never heard them before, an amazing experience. Those "steely" 30095s can work like nothing else :)
(For acoustic music I prefer ZSX to ZS10p, while favouring AS16 and AS12 (with treble filters removed) over ZSX).

So your answer would largely depend on your listening preferences.

Apr 1, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #49,602 of 63,917
ZS10 PRO are more wild and cheerful. I once listened to electric guitars like I've never heard them before, an amazing experience. Those "steely" 30095s can work like nothing else :)
(For acoustic music I prefer ZSX to ZS10p, while favouring AS16 and AS12 (with treble filters removed) over ZSX).

So your answer would largely depend on your listening preferences.
Yup, I concur. I enjoy alot of older 70's to 90's rock, as well as late 70's-80's dance and funk. Even a bit of pop from that era also. Can't say I can detect any "steeliness" with the material I mostly listen to. Then again, I don't often listen to much acoustic or anything with much higher stringed instruments like violin, etc. ZS10 PRO is still my favorite set, with TFZ NO.3 a close second for more dance oriented music.

Apr 2, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #49,603 of 63,917
Can't stand when people repeatedly talk about ZS10 pro = automatically = steely timbre.
I played violin for last 30 years and one thing I can tell you is that ZS10 PRO's timbre for classical music is not that bad.
Violin E strings use steel or plated steel strings F F S. It sounds amazingly accurate compared to my other way more expensive BA sets.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #49,604 of 63,917
Can't stand when people repeatedly talk about ZS10 pro = automatically = steely timbre.
I played violin for last 30 years and one thing I can tell you is that ZS10 PRO's timbre for classical music is not that bad.
Violin E strings use steel or plated steel strings F F S. It sounds amazingly accurate compared to my other way more expensive BA sets.
Clearly not many people here really spend that much time listening to their kz iems.

Apr 2, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #49,605 of 63,917
ZSX are quite better than the TRN V90 in my opinion after about a month of rotating quarantine use. I originally thought they were similar but the ZSX just deliver a wider soundstage, better deeper reaching low end, and are more refined with no sibilance anywhere. TRN V90 are good, but ZSX is still much better. ZSX run circles on all IEM's I own.

Looking at likely being furloughed this week after being promoted to a large pay increase, so TRN V90 are probably my final IEM for awhile. Was really looking forward to being severely disappointed by the big IEM players :).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back