Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 20, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #42,646 of 64,162
Isn't having a Testarossa a midlife issue:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Mar 20, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #42,648 of 64,162
Been spending time with the ZS7 via Opus#1 today and can't say that I'm as favorable of the pairing as I was with the AS10. I'll give the caveat that I'm putting faith into reviewers' comments that the Opus#1 is a relatively neutral player, therefore allowing me to hear the headphones/IEMs more than the source. Granted, that may not 100% be the case, but it could justify some of the things I'm hearing.

On the Opus#1 and playing CDs I've personally ripped into 16/44 FLAC, I've noticed a lot of smearing in the treble. If anything, it reminded me of what I used to hear out of the ZS6 through sources like the Shanling M0 or Sony A45. Also, there's a weird dip somewhere in the lower midrange or upper bass that makes the overall sound signature seem a little hollow. These observations were done putting the #1 on Low Gain with a volume setting of about 85 (which is well below the max volume threshold), and stock M starline tips. Sense of space has gone up a bit compared to pairing the ZS7 with other sources, but in this case, I find the cons outweigh the pros. Can't really recommend this as a good combo, but YMMV.

To keep this from being a complete doom-and-gloom post, what little time I do remember in pairing the ZSN with the Opus#1 was significantly more positive. I'll go into more detail after spending a little more time with that combo; today just happened to put the ZS7s in front of me for consideration.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #42,649 of 64,162
Been spending time with the ZS7 via Opus#1 today and can't say that I'm as favorable of the pairing as I was with the AS10. I'll give the caveat that I'm putting faith into reviewers' comments that the Opus#1 is a relatively neutral player, therefore allowing me to hear the headphones/IEMs more than the source. Granted, that may not 100% be the case, but it could justify some of the things I'm hearing.

On the Opus#1 and playing CDs I've personally ripped into 16/44 FLAC, I've noticed a lot of smearing in the treble. If anything, it reminded me of what I used to hear out of the ZS6 through sources like the Shanling M0 or Sony A45. Also, there's a weird dip somewhere in the lower midrange or upper bass that makes the overall sound signature seem a little hollow. These observations were done putting the #1 on Low Gain with a volume setting of about 85 (which is well below the max volume threshold), and stock M starline tips. Sense of space has gone up a bit compared to pairing the ZS7 with other sources, but in this case, I find the cons outweigh the pros. Can't really recommend this as a good combo, but YMMV.

To keep this from being a complete doom-and-gloom post, what little time I do remember in pairing the ZSN with the Opus#1 was significantly more positive. I'll go into more detail after spending a little more time with that combo; today just happened to put the ZS7s in front of me for consideration.

I’m convinced the Starline tips are not right for the ZS7 (and CCA C10) at all.

If you try wide bore tips, I’ll bet you’ll be much happier with the results. Generic wide bores (like for Powerbeats), Auvios, KZ or Tennmak Turbo/Whirlwind, SpiralDots, wide bore dual flange, etc.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #42,650 of 64,162
I’m convinced the Starline tips are not right for the ZS7 (and CCA C10) at all.

If you try wide bore tips, I’ll bet you’ll be much happier with the results. Generic wide bores (like for Powerbeats), Auvios, Turbo/Whirlwind, SpiralDots, etc.
I was thinking this after I wrote the post and the wider bore will most likely help a bit. Will have to check out when I get home. Chances are that the Auvios will provide a little bit of a fix.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #42,651 of 64,162
I was thinking this after I wrote the post and the wider bore will most likely help a bit. Will have to check out when I get home. Chances are that the Auvios will provide a little bit of a fix.

Yeah that’s basically what it is; a fix.

I mean, I don’t care what IEM it is, if you don’t like the tuning or something else bothers you about it, tips might provide a fix (or it could be that particular IEM just isn’t your cup of tea).

For example, KZ looooooves to boost mid bass in their IEMs. It seems like that’s become part of their house sound. But a lot of people dislike mid bass bumps. So for those people, most KZs end up disappointing them.

Just like I dislike W shaped tunings (like the ED4). No amount of tip rolling is gonna change that.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #42,652 of 64,162
Yeah that’s basically what it is; a fix.

I mean, I don’t care what IEM it is, if you don’t like the tuning or something else bothers you about it, tips might provide a fix (or it could be that particular IEM just isn’t your cup of tea).

For example, KZ looooooves to boost mid bass in their IEMs. It seems like that’s become part of their house sound. But a lot of people dislike mid bass bumps. So for those people, most KZs end up disappointing them.

Just like I dislike W shaped tunings (like the ED4). No amount of tip rolling is gonna change that.
The onus is mostly on me for being relatively satisfied with the ZS7 in stock form on players that were considerably more rolled off on the top-end, which was masking the issue. Now that the extra information's there, it'll allow me to "troubleshoot" and see if I can't bring it back to something my ears can better get along with. Not giving up yet.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #42,653 of 64,162
Forgot to post this little ZS7 update here a few days ago.

'I was totally wrong about the ZS7. For whatever reason, it just doesn't pair with the XDuoo Nano D3. Updated it to the new firmware which fixed the screen issues so I could actually use it again. Been planning to revisit the old review so I've been using it on and off for the last couple days. For whatever reason, with the D3 the bass boosts through the roof. Tossed the ZS7 on this morning with the Shanling M0 while doing some chores and it sounded like a completely different earphone which is how I caught the problem. Doesn't do it with any of my other players, and I haven't had that issue with the D3 and any other iems. Also tried some other cables in case that was causing problems. Nothing. Only the D3 and ZS7 together. Really weird.'

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #42,655 of 64,162
Forgot to post this little ZS7 update here a few days ago.

'I was totally wrong about the ZS7. For whatever reason, it just doesn't pair with the XDuoo Nano D3. Updated it to the new firmware which fixed the screen issues so I could actually use it again. Been planning to revisit the old review so I've been using it on and off for the last couple days. For whatever reason, with the D3 the bass boosts through the roof. Tossed the ZS7 on this morning with the Shanling M0 while doing some chores and it sounded like a completely different earphone which is how I caught the problem. Doesn't do it with any of my other players, and I haven't had that issue with the D3 and any other iems. Also tried some other cables in case that was causing problems. Nothing. Only the D3 and ZS7 together. Really weird.'

The Shanling are bass light, and output 80mw @ 32ohm. The D3 is bass neutral but outputs 250mw @32ohm. Its likely that the power is making that dd hit like a mofo. Or you have an eq preset on and forgot about it.

Either way its amazing how different DAPs play with different IEMs, Earbuds, Headphones ect.

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #42,656 of 64,162
Just got my ZSN (silver/cyan) couple days ago from Amazon Canada. I really want to like them but I am so disappointed... especially because I bought them after reading all the rave reviews.

I have UE TF10, Nu Force NE7M, and ATH M50x, for reference. I love my TF10 minus the cable which has a new cable on its way. NE7M has its cable sleeve deteriorating after 10 years of heavy usage which is why I bought the ZSN, as its replacement as a beater.

Tried comply foams and different size tips, burn in tracks, different genres, but I just can't stand them... way too much untamed bass on some tracks and the sound staging is letting me down.

Is this the limitation of low budget iem or perhaps I have a lemon?

I'm thinking of returning these tomorrow. Final Audio E1000/E2000/E3000 sounded like a good choice but I need isolation at work, so my search continues. Ordered a couple of Sony MDH-755's for fun from eBay, and other contenders for now are TinAudio T2/T2Pro/VSonic GR07. Any recommendations are welcome. Preferably under US$50, well balanced, somewhat neutral, slightly warm/bright, non-basshead, closed, no accessories needed, just sound quality and soft non-tangly cables.

Mar 20, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #42,657 of 64,162
The Shanling are bass light, and output 80mw @ 32ohm. The D3 is bass neutral but outputs 250mw @32ohm. Its likely that the power is making that dd hit like a mofo. Or you have an eq preset on and forgot about it.

Either way its amazing how different DAPs play with different IEMs, Earbuds, Headphones ect.

I actually feel the exact opposite about the M0 and D3 :D D3's low end rolls off disappointingly early. You can always find my review to understand how much I hate that thing. And if you heard how the ZS7 sounded through it vs. other players, you'd think there was something wrong. It's not a normal interaction, lol. Either way, I'm enjoying the ZS7 now which is the important part. Before I felt like I spent 50 CAD for a fancy shell.

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #42,658 of 64,162
Just got my ZSN (silver/cyan) couple days ago from Amazon Canada. I really want to like them but I am so disappointed... especially because I bought them after reading all the rave reviews.

Tried comply foams and different size tips, burn in tracks, different genres, but I just can't stand them... way too much untamed bass on some tracks and the sound staging is letting me down.

Is this the limitation of low budget iem or perhaps I have a lemon?

I'm thinking of returning these tomorrow.
Unfortunately, I was hyping the ZSN a while ago and hope you didn't buy them because of me.

I don't think I like them anymore either. I'm really disappointed in KZ. It seems like they are shooting out IEM's from their butts without the quality of past models like the AS10, etc. I heard the AS06 is even better?

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #42,659 of 64,162
Hello everyone. I got unlucky with my second pair of ZS10. A got exactly the same problem which is dynamic driver in right ear dying after few weeks of usage. Is this a known issue or am i just very unlucky. First one was purchased on gearbest and second was on aliexpress from so called "official kz store".
Another question - which IEM would be an upgrade for ZS10?
AS10. Lol. I heard AS06 is even better. But no one's talking about it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back