Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 20, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #41,971 of 63,939
True, but I'm not aware of any other companies that release as many products as KZ, which is why I mentioned them. Sure, there are more surely, but they aren't on my radar. KZ's are too good, and it's so easy to buy them all. But I'm not doing that any longer nor am I trusting any Headfi user that says they're buying every single color of a particular model. What's the point? There is none.

You ever seen how many IEM and earbud models Sony, Philips, Skull Candy, Pioneer, TFZ, and others release? It makes KZ look like child’s play.

As far as owning every color just for the sake of owing every color, yeah that’s an individual thing.

Some people collect IEMs, some do it because they have the money to burn.

Others do it because sometimes there’s tuning differences between colors (for example, the white and black Rock Zircons sound different, and some say the purple ZSN sounds different).

But to each their own. Different strokes for different folks, and all that. Some people buy lots of shoes, to go with different outfits or different occasions. Some buy different wrist watches (1 for business, 1 for casual, 1 for black tie affairs, 1 for scuba diving or hiking, etc). Jay Leno collects an insane number of cars.

But I’m with you; nowadays I usually don’t buy any gear until numerous impressions are out and I decide if I would even like that model. If I don’t think I’d like it based on what people describe, or if I feel it would be a sidegrade, I skip it. It was one thing back when KZs were $4-$6 each. Now they’re commonly approaching $40-$80+ each.

And that’s true of not just KZ, but other brands as well. I’d be in the poor house if I blindly jumped on every FOTM hype train that came rolling through town (TRN, CCA, Moondrop, TFZ, things certain popular YouTube reviewers recommended, etc).

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #41,972 of 63,939
You ever seen how many IEM and earbud models Sony, Philips, Skull Candy, Pioneer, TFZ, and others release? It makes KZ look like child’s play.

that’s an individual thing.

Some people collect IEMs, some do it because they have the money to burn.

just like sound preferences and hearing abilities, I didn't think this needed to be even explained, but I guess it does.

I like KZ and chi-fi generally because I just like hearing about and playing with new toys. If I'm looking for absolute SQ, I know where to look for TOTLs.

That being said, I only buy new toys every other month now instead of every other week, so that's progress.

Feb 20, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #41,973 of 63,939
I just asked the seller and yes, just a few lucky sellers made a deal with a KZ agent so they could sell the KZ ZS7's.

The thing is, I don't know why this fact is incompatible with KZ at least advertising the ZS7 in their web page. That really I don't understand.

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #41,974 of 63,939
I just asked the seller and yes, just a few lucky sellers made a deal with a KZ agent so they could sell the KZ ZS7's.

The thing is, I don't know why this fact is incompatible with KZ at least advertising the ZS7 in their web page. That really I don't understand.
Agree. At least they should have advertised it on the Aliexpress page

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #41,975 of 63,939
Maybe one of the components is in short supply or something (IIRC they said the release was limited to 1000 units), so if they advertise it it will sell out too fast or people will try to resell it at high prices.

Probably redundant, but I found an image clarifying what I mean with the KZ plugs.

kz-2pin-plug.jpg

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #41,976 of 63,939
Maybe one of the components is in short supply or something (IIRC they said the release was limited to 1000 units), so if they advertise it it will sell out too fast or people will try to resell it at high prices.

Probably redundant, but I found an image clarifying what I mean with the KZ plugs.

Wow, so that means our KZ IEM's including ZS7, don't have an universal standard 2 pin connector?

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #41,977 of 63,939
Apparently. The balanced cables I currently use are made by KZ and they have the right plugs. But from what I read here other 0.75mm connectors do work, I just wish there were more options with the correct plugs.

Feb 20, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #41,978 of 63,939
Hi Guys, i recently bought a KZ ZST still brand new and i'm Loving it!!
After that I have read that KZ ZS10 is still better, even compared with 500$ earphones, like Shure 530 or something

Is that true? If it is I think i will buy it very soon, if worth for 40 bucks :astonished:

Or is better to have a good source first? Or a good amp?
I am too curious about this brand

Feb 20, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #41,979 of 63,939
I'm currently reading a book on how Chinese companies do business and it's all about making money

Do you know of any companies that do not want to make money?

nor am I trusting any Headfi user that says they're buying every single color of a particular model. What's the point? There is none.

Hey, I don't buy jewelry... why not have two different colors of ZSNs?

Feb 20, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #41,980 of 63,939

You can use non-KZ 2-pin cables with your KZs. I use TRN as well as generic 2-pin cables with my KZs just fine.

Since they aren’t keyed with the rounded and flat ends, you just have to make sure you plug each cable in facing the proper direction so the IEM stays in phase.

Feb 20, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #41,982 of 63,939
You can use non-KZ 2-pin cables with your KZs. I use TRN as well as generic 2-pin cables with my KZs just fine.

Since they aren’t keyed with the rounded and flat ends, you just have to make sure you plug each cable in facing the proper direction so the IEM stays in phase.
Dumb question: does it matter ‘which way round’ or just that both l+r are oriented the same.

Feb 20, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #41,983 of 63,939

What do you mean by "stays in the same phase"?
Does it matter if you plug the 2 pin cable in one way or another?

I mean, if the cable has one round side and one flat side, you only have one option, but if the cable admits connecting it regular and reverse... does that matter?
I've been working and repairing headphones for quite some time and I know it doesn't matter if you reverse, in the earpiece end, the ground with the left/right cable.

Feb 20, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #41,984 of 63,939
After that I have read that KZ ZS10 is still better, even compared with 500$ earphones, like Shure 530 or something

Is that true? If it is I think i will buy it very soon, if worth for 40 bucks :astonished:

NO, whoever telling you that, either he actually never try $500 earphones, or he paid overpriced $500 earphone that sounds like below $25 earphone.
Im sorry but that is the truth. Or he is the 1 of KZ company owner. Too much hyperbole hype around. be careful.

I own ZS10, its quite good, but tonality is off, mid bass a bit bleed, i suggest you better try C10, its their sister company, for around $28, surely better than ZS10. Or try BQEYZ , still below $50. KC2 or KB100.

what is your preference sound signature btw?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #41,985 of 63,939

Yes, they should be in phase. I'll try one of those cables then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back