Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 31, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #41,386 of 64,379
Have to run, so combined posts.

You’re most welcome. The personal side of the listening experience together with the shared love and affection (and annoyance and exasperation) for the headphones and related audio products of this improbably successful Knowledge Zenith brand form a strong and interesting bond among us who frequent or are residents of this thread, that much I’ve perceived in the relatively short time I’ve been here, despite the differences of opinions present, and that by the way run the gamut from the very slight and tangential to contrarian to polar opposites.

It’s noticeable, too, when such bond is weak because the discussions take a turn towards silliness or the ludicrous. But I don’t mind silliness or irreverence—I enjoy it. What I mind is condescension, an attitude that I intensely hate. And which attitude, when you think about it is ironic, misplaced and ridiculous since how we listen to music is defined by subjective impressions, which are uniquely personal, to say the least.

As for the over-reliance on frequency response (FR) graphs, I can relate to how you feel since I was sideswiped with a snarky comment then was drawn into a preposterous running discussion with a fluid point of argument that was ultimately hinged on some graph. There’s nothing wrong with FR graphs; I believe they do have immense value if the measuring equipment used and methods are indicated; or if such graphs were part of a large enough database wherein identical, standardized and carefully calibrated equipment is used. There are at least 2 that I know here in head-fi: its very own slowly growing collection measured through its own SOTA measurement lab and that of crinacle. As for comparison overlays I find them useful where 2 or more of those in-ears measured are known to me, for at least they provide a rough idea of how the one I’m interested in might sound. A solitary FR graph could only give some approximation of the magnitude of a headphone’s reproduction in the audible frequency range; but, if it’s presented by someone whom I trust and whose ears more or less coincide with my own hearing then it’s more than welcome. Ultimately what I hear is paramount. Anyhow here’s the complete quote from the Preface and Introduction to Peter Damaske’s Acoustics and Hearing (Springer, 2008) that I’m currently trying to read and that I surprisingly could now understand, with some help:

However, powerful measuring techniques should not be allowed to mislead us to forget that acoustical quality is basically defined by subjective sound impressions.”

I almost forgot. You have the C10 coming, right? It’s very exciting to read that the enthusiasm for this KZ cousin is growing and that those who have it recognize its abilities, admit that it indeed is a superlative IEM and place it among their top list of favorites. For a while even after I posted my C10 impressions update I thought the AS06 betters it in the bass department but for the last couple of days, going through my music library and listening to my reference songs many, many times, I’ve changed my mind.

The CCA C10 is It.

Welcome aboard! Glad to have some nice company in this wonderful fast-moving sub-$30 realm. :beerchug: :smile_phones:

Well… I could name a few in this thread, mostly transients but where KZ is concerned one very recently gave a valedictory comment and ironically it took someone who’s supposed to have already left to remind that person that what was delivered was an insult. :shrug:

Lately I’ve been spending more time as a guest in the other threads and forums, including the so-called high-end threads in my quest for the perfect gift and frankly I was taken aback with the gradations of shade tossed about when “Chi-Fi” is mentioned. I won’t even talk about the ones my beloved KZ is receiving. I couldn’t help it; precision and the ability to discern nuances and submerged subtleties are crucial in my profession. It does seem that there are more of those stereotypes than are previously thought. :person_frowning:

You are right, though; Chi-Fi should be taken to mean exactly as it should, nothing more, nothing less.

The best one for me is a pair of old, slow-rebound, medium-sized, wide-bore ball-shaped foam tips. The ones I've been using and through which my impressions in my C10 update were obtained. If the foam tips are not the right size and not wide-bore they'll definitely affect the sound for the worse. SpinFits didn't work. I believe BadReligionPunk uses JVC Spiral Dots on his, which I'd like to try but the right size (M or MS) is difficult to get in our part of the world.

Mine:
1. CCA C10
2. CCA C10
3. CCA C10
:ksc75smile:

Also:
KZ ZSN - for those perk-me-up mornings
AS06 - exclusively for cellos, string chamber music and double bass sessions

+1 (Although I wouldn't put it in such terms) :smile_phones:
Lol! Your top three reminded me of the 60s when the top five in the charts were occupied by the Beatles!

Jan 31, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #41,387 of 64,379
I have them both (since Monday) and bought them for on-stage-monitoring purpose. Just having listened to some nice recordings (jazz, rock, singer songwriter, classical music) I prefer the AS10 a lot over the zs7. Listening to Joe Cocker with the AS10 literally made me happy. And smile :). To me the sparkling trebles of the AS10 are a real joy. The zs7 is much more leveled and maybe the better choice for bass seeking listeners. But I probably will send back zs7 (bought it with Amazon prime).

But for me the question is: what sounds better, the cca c10 or the AS10?

The AS10, though bigger, looks also more comfortable to wear to me. I had a problem with my KZ5's formfactor as it's angular shape created hot spots in my ear when wearing them for a longer time. I manually heated and molded the shape into something more comfortable. I can see myself buying the AS10 though.

Jan 31, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #41,388 of 64,379
The AS10, though bigger, looks also more comfortable to wear to me. I had a problem with my KZ5's formfactor as it's angular shape created hot spots in my ear when wearing them for a longer time. I manually heated and molded the shape into something more comfortable. I can see myself buying the AS10 though.

Indeed zs7 are more comfortable to my ears! The smaller size and especially the inclined nozzle helps a lot! The metal housing doesn't make it less comfy!

But again: sound of as10 is beautiful!
Searching for a as10 sound with zs7 comfort :).

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #41,389 of 64,379
Just got this yesterday from AE. Wondering if it had enough "juice" to power the ZS5v1. It has...
It sounds beautiful with every pair of KZ I plug to, unlike FiiO x3ii, which is rather picky with some iems (impedance?).

IMG_20190131_132740.jpg

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #41,390 of 64,379

You melted the ZS5 housing and remolded the shape? How did you do that without damaging the drivers?

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #41,391 of 64,379
For c16

I try on one music with as10 there is 10min. The as10 is slightly more bassy but clearly more slow. More balanced sound

One instrument need a very great speed to ear all. The as10 is not enough fast.

On metal music the clarity of the guitar is very obvious. Nothing to see with my collection. I didn't wait this level of speed, detail, clarity,. Soundstage

Go on !

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #41,392 of 64,379
I just (very clumsily) heated the little part of the shell that caused a hot spot in my ear. Just enough to get rid of the sharp edge but keep the shape of the ZS5 mostly intact. Nowadays with so many great Christmas IEMs I probably would choose another IEM.

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #41,393 of 64,379
Just got this yesterday from AE. Wondering if it had enough "juice" to power the ZS5v1. It has...
It sounds beautiful with every pair of KZ I plug to, unlike FiiO x3ii, which is rather picky with some iems (impedance?).

What DAP is that?

Jan 31, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #41,394 of 64,379
Jan 31, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #41,395 of 64,379
Would you folks buy a high end tv from Massdrop?

I’m just in from outside, took out garbage, I’m in Bethlehem Pa. and its “zero”. I never remember feeling that cold ever in my lifetime.

Back on topic.....so Panda, Slater, mbWilson111, etc......anybody itching to get C16 ? Mine is waiting on small pot of gold supposedly coming overnite.
I’m totally into my C10s so its got a long way to go to become daily driver but I can’t pass up the price/driver no mortgage needed price myself.

Jan 31, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #41,396 of 64,379

I’m just in from outside, took out garbage, I’m in Bethlehem Pa. and its “zero”. I never remember feeling that cold ever in my lifetime.

Back on topic.....so Panda, Slater, mbWilson111, etc......anybody itching to get C16 ? Mine is waiting on small pot of gold supposedly coming overnite.
I’m totally into my C10s so its got a long way to go to become daily driver but I can’t pass up the price/driver no mortgage needed price myself.

No, too much gear here already.

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #41,397 of 64,379

Anymore these days, I have enough gear that I like. So I would only consider buying new gear after it has been out for at least a month, and has lots of consistent positive feedback from numerous users (including at least 1-2 people I trust or who I know have the same tastes as me).

I’m not saying that’s a good or bad way to do it; just the way I do it nowadays.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #41,398 of 64,379
Anymore these days, I have enough gear that I like. So I would only consider buying new gear after it has been out for at least a month, and has lots of consistent positive feedback from numerous users (including at least 1-2 people I trust or who I know have the same tastes as me).

I’m not saying that’s a good or bad way to do it; just the way I do it nowadays.

I have enough good stuff to revisit that I should not buy anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back