Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 19, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #41,026 of 64,402
My French Twitter review. The translate should be ok to understand
https://twitter.com/Chifi_Fr/status/1086667645791977473?s=19

I love them ! But cca 10 can be a very good alternative. I don't compare them for the moment.

I saw that zs7 have same 4 ba than as10. And ba of zs10
And cca C10 exactly same hardware than zs10 but PCB and intern arrangement are different. The tuning is totally different, like a hardware correction.

Jan 19, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #41,027 of 64,402
sadly I think not a lot of models using that form factor outside qdc (and their cheapest entry level IEM is the usd$200 Neptune, IIRC)

hm...basically its a toss-up now, lol. To be fair, I haven't actually gotten any defective/QC issues on either seller, so hopefully that continues.

both seller have really nice cables though

Absolutel as I should have mentioned I’ve gotten some other nice 8 & 16 cores from both:wink:

Jan 19, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #41,028 of 64,402
Finally ordered C10s for $26 from AE official store. Was really confused between ZS7, ZS10 and AS06 but was swayed by the notion of how much ZSNs can be evolved. Should get them in 2-3 weeks.

Jan 19, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #41,029 of 64,402
Okay, I tried to get some up close pics of the mysterious unsoldered wire in each of our KZ ZS7s. I've circled them here in blue. And I have no idea where they go. Maybe someone who's built iems before can identify the correct location. I do want to reiterate that these sound fantastic (and despite QC problem and all) are a large improvement over the ZS6. I'd say they sound as good as the AS10/BA10 with a improvement in the sub bass only dynamics can produce. BUT... The ZSN and ZS6 might be slightly stronger in sub bass department. So, in conclusion, the ZS7 comes close to perfection but isn't quite there at 100%. I guess we'll still be chasing the dragon

Maybe the 8 sided BA will do the trick?
Screenshot_20190119-155925_QuickPic.jpg

Screenshot_20190119-155833_QuickPic.jpg

Screenshot_20190119-155910_QuickPic.jpg

The last two shows closeups of the board and side soldering points
20190119_160142.jpg

20190104_190933.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #41,031 of 64,402
It's so awesome this zs7

Jan 19, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #41,032 of 64,402
Symphonic recordings have all the piercing highs and gushing lows, and incredible density of multiple instruments - can be most challenging for audiophiles and alike :)

I listen to classical music, and AS10 (close relative of BA10) is currently my favourite by far. (Sonically GT600s pro was very nice as well, minus its non-sonic problems).

What better cables worked for you?
(For me, strangely AS10 sounds best with its stock cable; similarly IEmatch makes AS10 sound more even, but less fun).

I have small ear and wearing this is a bad combo for thick cables. therefore i need a thin cable and after a while i ordered the opera factory /whizzer upgrade cable and it works for my ba10.
therefore it must work for the as10.
if you have small ears go for this cable. the other thing is you need good eartips. my own experience is that silicone tips are better than foam tips.
i ask for the cca c16 because of its price. many of us don`t have the money for high-end gear. 100 USD is affordable - even 200 USD but then there is a limit.
Second thing is that many high priced touch screen players like the hiby r3 sucks. that is my personal opinion. i have a flickering problem with my hiby r3 and it doesnt offer gapless playback. for example my benjie s5 works without these problems. therefore i wont spend 200 USD again for a lossless player. everything regarding touchscreen which cames after apple sucks.
iam very very disappointed with my hiby r3.
i was going to order the new hidizs player. but after realize that is have the same system like hiby i cannot recommend it. but again this is my personal opinion.
the last thing is that iam afraid that it is a matter of time since we have to pay import duty on goods which come from china. it started with ebay and than goes to aliexpress.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #41,033 of 64,402
A few recent observations: The silver upgrade cable for the ZSN makes the earphone sound much much worse than how amazing the ZSN sounds with the copper cable. The cable makes it sound so bad that I want a refund on the "silver" upgrade cable and the ZSN.

Ohm adapters work: They seem to add a bigger body, a wider soundstage and more clarity. Cool.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #41,034 of 64,402
Sucks to hear some of you guys may have received a faulty ZS7. It seems I lucked out in getting a properly working one, along with a few other members here. Amazon is your friend in these instances.

Me thinks the most meaningful bit of information we can derive comes from direct comparisons to other IEM's from the same set of ears(factoring in preferences). Not from frequency response graphs. Anecdotally, real world experience comparing audio gear rarely matches what FR graphs led me to believe.

Many of my pricier IEMs sound duller, and more flat in comparison to these. Flat in a boring way, rather than reference-flat. Or they have sibilance, or their mids are veiled, perhaps recessed. Wait -- maybe it's because I just always unintentionally bought crappy earphones, haha!

Geez, the more I listen to these the more I'm convinced: KZ not only showed me they can make a knockout, but you don't also have to steal consumers' money in doing so.

Our cheap little treasure.

Jan 20, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #41,035 of 64,402
the price of the CCA C10 is ridiculously cheap for a 5 driver earphone, i wonder if its better to get those or the ZS7 since the ZS7 almost cost twice as much, any comparison since i cant get a simple answer for it

also about the ZSN, i've settled on trn v80 stock tips, they fit the best & sounds the best, gone those aggressive peaks and it sounds great now

Jan 20, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #41,036 of 64,402
Okay, I tried to get some up close pics of the mysterious unsoldered wire in each of our KZ ZS7s. I've circled them here in blue. And I have no idea where they go. Maybe someone who's built iems before can identify the correct location. I do want to reiterate that these sound fantastic (and despite QC problem and all) are a large improvement over the ZS6. I'd say they sound as good as the AS10/BA10 with a improvement in the sub bass only dynamics can produce. BUT... The ZSN and ZS6 might be slightly stronger in sub bass department. So, in conclusion, the ZS7 comes close to perfection but isn't quite there at 100%. I guess we'll still be chasing the dragon

Maybe the 8 sided BA will do the trick?

The last two shows closeups of the board and side soldering points

Cool pics.

I will remind myself to have fire extinguisher near at all times.

wowwey

giphy.gif

There ain't no party like a KZ party.

S-Club 7 reference :p

Jan 20, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #41,037 of 64,402
*please take everything I said with a grain of salt. I'm just a student who's looking for cheap ways to really enjoy my music.*

Hey guys. I just got my green ZS6's yesterday. I think KZ sorted out the sibilance issue with the ZS6's. If not, then I guess my ears are not as treble-sensitive as I thought. For reference, I had the ZS5 V1's (which unfortunately were lost by a friend who I lent it to) and until recently the ES4 (I lent it to my father, he's turning into an audiophile although he doesn't have much experience with earphones in general, he much prefers his car's sound system.) I believe the ZS6 is way better. Much more balanced and pleasing with great detail and good soundstage. I found the ZS5 V1's a bit lacking after almost a year of using them while I still had them, and weirdly enough I kind of found it uncomfortable to listen to (both physically and sonically). The last time I consistently used the ZS5 V1's, the combination of the recessed mids and the well known KZ spike in the high's made it a chore to listen to the beloved ZS5 V1's. The ES4's are indeed much easier to listen to, but the lack of instrument separation as well as detail retrieval often disappointed me. I used the neutralizer app on my Xperia Z3 running a custom nougat rom with Viper4Android installed and I also used the best SPC cable KZ offered as well as wide bore tips (the ones that come with the skullcandy titans *cough cough*, those are the only wide bore ear tips I have unfortunately). The combination of all that made the sound better and cleaner. However my sentiments remain. When I learned that the green ZS6's were back in production I immediately ordered a pair. Two days into owning the ZS6's, I find almost everything nice and crispy. It's not a treble cannon in my opinion, the bass is a little tight and unnatural though. It's also a lot more balanced compared to the ZS5's in memory with better-controlled bass and richer mids. The high's are a little cleaner too it seems to me, although there's still a lot of detail, sparkle, and what not (which I barely found on the ES4).

On a side note, unfortunately I dropped the right side from around knee level (I'm 5'7") and dented one of the edged corners on the housing. No difference with the sound. Are the housings really that easy to damage? Anyone have a similar experience?

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #41,038 of 64,402
A few recent observations: The silver upgrade cable for the ZSN makes the earphone sound much much worse than how amazing the ZSN sounds with the copper cable. The cable makes it sound so bad that I want a refund on the "silver" upgrade cable and the ZSN.

Ohm adapters work: They seem to add a bigger body, a wider soundstage and more clarity. Cool.

What values of Ohm adapters did you use with ZSN?
Did you try them with AS10?

I found AS10 being very sensitive to the output impedance and even cables (unlike other IEMs I have).

Jan 20, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #41,039 of 64,402
the price of the CCA C10 is ridiculously cheap for a 5 driver earphone, i wonder if its better to get those or the ZS7 since the ZS7 almost cost twice as much, any comparison since i cant get a simple answer for it

also about the ZSN, i've settled on trn v80 stock tips, they fit the best & sounds the best, gone those aggressive peaks and it sounds great now

Zs7 33€ cca C10 26€

But both are excellent for the price.
I must compare to have the most accurate answer. I'm sure of one/2 things. They are incredible and detailed. C10 seems more aerial and zs7 more impact/dynamic

But they are very awesome for the price. It's a good choice in both cases.

Jan 20, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #41,040 of 64,402
*please take everything I said with a grain of salt. I'm just a student who's looking for cheap ways to really enjoy my music.*

Hey guys. I just got my green ZS6's yesterday. I think KZ sorted out the sibilance issue with the ZS6's. If not, then I guess my ears are not as treble-sensitive as I thought. For reference, I had the ZS5 V1's (which unfortunately were lost by a friend who I lent it to) and until recently the ES4 (I lent it to my father, he's turning into an audiophile although he doesn't have much experience with earphones in general, he much prefers his car's sound system.) I believe the ZS6 is way better. Much more balanced and pleasing with great detail and good soundstage. I found the ZS5 V1's a bit lacking after almost a year of using them while I still had them, and weirdly enough I kind of found it uncomfortable to listen to (both physically and sonically). The last time I consistently used the ZS5 V1's, the combination of the recessed mids and the well known KZ spike in the high's made it a chore to listen to the beloved ZS5 V1's. The ES4's are indeed much easier to listen to, but the lack of instrument separation as well as detail retrieval often disappointed me. I used the neutralizer app on my Xperia Z3 running a custom nougat rom with Viper4Android installed and I also used the best SPC cable KZ offered as well as wide bore tips (the ones that come with the skullcandy titans *cough cough*, those are the only wide bore ear tips I have unfortunately). The combination of all that made the sound better and cleaner. However my sentiments remain. When I learned that the green ZS6's were back in production I immediately ordered a pair. Two days into owning the ZS6's, I find almost everything nice and crispy. It's not a treble cannon in my opinion, the bass is a little tight and unnatural though. It's also a lot more balanced compared to the ZS5's in memory with better-controlled bass and richer mids. The high's are a little cleaner too it seems to me, although there's still a lot of detail, sparkle, and what not (which I barely found on the ES4).

On a side note, unfortunately I dropped the right side from around knee level (I'm 5'7") and dented one of the edged corners on the housing. No difference with the sound. Are the housings really that easy to damage? Anyone have a similar experience?
That's the main problem I have with painted metal earphones. My Nuforce HEM1 and EDC since they are (durable) plastic I handle them them without any care having them dangle, bang into each other or tables. Meanwhile I handle my ZS6 and ZS7 like I'm carrying quail eggs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back