Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 1, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #38,806 of 63,915
Wow, my ZSN can keep up with my unamped 58x running from my phone. It nearly matched the speed, soundstage width, and even surpasses it on bass impact. The only glaring weakness is vocals and a bit on seperation(though that's hardly a weakness). The high vocals sound shrill(y) which is kinda annoying when you A/B it with headphones that handles the same sound less offensively. Also, the 58x brings the vocals forth a bit compared the the ZSN. Once I amped both, the 58x showed it chops and the gap became more noticeable. But damn, these are worth totally worth the $20 I paid for it. I did not expect it to hold a candle to the 58x. Time will tell if the build and material holds up to the Sennheiser's, but KZ nailed it with the technical capabilities for the price. Furthermore, they handily beat my Sony MH1, ATH IM50s, and Brainwavz Delta in overall sound.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #38,807 of 63,915
I have a new drug I'm addicted to: KZ IEM's. I've decided to sell every pair of audio gear I have (on ears, over ears, iems and earbuds) that aren't KZ or Superlux.

I'm also tired of being burned by the reviews on Audiobudget, a few too many times. 5 star reviews for sometimes 1 star headphones. Lame.

I'm only buying KZ for now and know that will ease the wasting of money.

Uhmm...that's a bit drastic, don't you think? :scream:

Dec 1, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #38,809 of 63,915
found on fb, as10 w/ fp modded
VNbciXAB0K0nCZn5BUMKPQQFdhHc-naVP29Y26T0djEL4mHzgxBDICU358gjYuWg6W7321gUMS3o-0Ftsg=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

Dec 1, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #38,812 of 63,915
I just received a pair of AS10s and they seem to have some white noise. It disappears after like 10 seconds of me stopping the music on the device. If I unpause, it immediately comes back and stays for a few seconds after paused. It's as if I can hear them turning on and off. I've only owned an ATR from KZ and this behavior was not present. Is this normal?

Dec 1, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #38,813 of 63,915
Dec 1, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #38,814 of 63,915
I agree with your considered assessment

I had a snarky response written up and decided it would be best to remove it since it added nothing positive to the thread.

I just received a pair of AS10s and they seem to have some white noise. It disappears after like 10 seconds of me stopping the music on the device. If I unpause, it immediately comes back and stays for a few seconds after paused. It's as if I can hear them turning on and off. I've only owned an ATR from KZ and this behavior was not present. Is this normal?

That's the AS10 picking up noise from your device. One of the downfalls of sensitive iems. Tossing in an impedance adapter fixes that issue.

Dec 1, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #38,815 of 63,915
I had a snarky response written up and decided it would be best to remove it since it added nothing positive to the thread.

That's the AS10 picking up noise from your device. One of the downfalls of sensitive iems. Tossing in an impedance adapter fixes that issue.

Damn, I wish I knew this before ordering, so that they would arrive at the same time. Is this what I'm looking for? 75 Ohm is my guess.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DUN...pter-3-5mm-Jack-Professional/32839680827.html

So basically if I want to plug my headphones into my phone I have to have this huge adapter sticking out of it? What would happen If I bought a new Iphone that could only use a lightning headphone adapter. Would I need to plug it in that one as well? Also what if I bought one of those bluetooth cables (looking at the TRN one, based on previous posts in this thread) ? Are they complete garbage?

Dec 1, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #38,816 of 63,915
Damn, I wish I knew this before ordering, so that they would arrive at the same time. Is this what I'm looking for? 75 Ohm is my guess.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DUN...pter-3-5mm-Jack-Professional/32839680827.html

So basically if I want to plug my headphones into my phone I have to have this huge adapter sticking out of it? What would happen If I bought a new Iphone that could only use a lightning headphone adapter. Would I need to plug it in that one as well? Also what if I bought one of those bluetooth cables (looking at the TRN one, based on previous posts in this thread) ? Are they complete garbage?

Something like that or the iFi EarBuddy would probably work. No idea how you'd deal with anything on an iPhone. Only adapter I have is the iFi ieMatch which is way more expensive and a lot more bulky, but I need it for a few earphones. Might pick up that Dunu one for myself and see how it does. Someone more knowledgeable on this subject would be better suited to giving you suggestions on a cost effective way to resolve this.

Dec 1, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #38,817 of 63,915
You don't need such a big impedance adaptor.

A poorly conducting cable is all you need.

On mine, I never had any obvious noise issues on high gain mode with the original cables. But I switched to some 8-core cables that were like 0.5 Ohms lower in resistance and all of a sudden I was picking up obvious noise at very low volumes in the same high gain mode.

Maybe a cheap cable extender/ adaptor that adds 1~2 Ohm is all you need.

Dec 1, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #38,819 of 63,915
Something like that or the iFi EarBuddy would probably work. No idea how you'd deal with anything on an iPhone. Only adapter I have is the iFi ieMatch which is way more expensive and a lot more bulky, but I need it for a few earphones. Might pick up that Dunu one for myself and see how it does. Someone more knowledgeable on this subject would be better suited to giving you suggestions on a cost effective way to resolve this.

I was under the impression that something like the IEMatch and an impedance adapter plug (that adds a certain resistance value) are different and that they might not work the same regarding removing hiss.

I'm still not clear on the difference, since I think they're all just resistors?

Dec 1, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #38,820 of 63,915

Another option would be to use a different source. You can get a budget ChiFi DAP in a wide range of prices, some basically the same price as an iFi adapters or fancy cables.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back