Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 19, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #33,826 of 63,915
Hifingage..

They are official KZ distributor in india

And they are checking QC issue, and channel balance before selling..

Just some of their extra charges, but worth every penny.

Plus, who want cable like Alpha and delta D6..

Venture electronics gives option for customisation and the cable I customised was of 65$.

Pure silver 8 braid with silver sleeve and machined MMCX and rhodium plated Standard 3.5mm...

Cool

And cable is better than super expensive one

Cable resistivity is 0.1ohm

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 19, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #33,827 of 63,915
Half a dozen of you can assist us all in getting a more clear picture since the ZS10 reviews still seem to be all over the place. It would be great if several ZS10 owners could give feedback on the same exact files.

.........of course, I've listed several files below to facilitate said feedback.

Tell us what you are hearing and a clearer picture will begin to emerge.

ORCHESTRAL

TRUMPET

Guitar & Vocals

Vocals/Folk

General statements can only serve as fuel for confusion because sonics vary from recording to recording. Of these two recordings one is torturous while the other is inviting.

Please tell us what you are hearing.

For those of you that wish to participate please "Reply" to this post so on-lookers have a reference point for your comments.

p.s. - Otto, feel free to PM me if you'd like to weigh in.

*** edit ***
An oversight on my part:
The first track somewhat sets the stage, if you will.There are moments of exuberance with occasional peaks but it should be a pleasant listening experience included mostly as a starting point and to provide a basis for contrast with subsequent tracks. Regarding "recessed mids" does the flute get buried? Can you hear the harpsichord? etc., etc., etc.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #33,828 of 63,915
Half a dozen of you can assist us all in getting a more clear picture since the ZS10 reviews still seem to be all over the place. It would be great if several ZS10 owners could give feedback on the same exact files.

.........of course, I've listed several files below to facilitate said feedback.

ORCHESTRAL

TRUMPET

Guitar & Vocals

Vocals/Folk

General statements can only serve as fuel for confusion because sonics vary from recording to recording. Of these two recordings one is torturous while the other is inviting.

For those of you that wish to participate please "Reply" to this post so on-lookers have a reference point for your comments.

I'll bite.

Bach
I think most baroque music is a bit lacking in intense dynamics, and the flute has too soft a tembre, to really highlight the issue. I will say some of the high notes were unpleasant, such as at 3:55 and 4:01 but I don't think this piece has the dynamics to showcase the ZS10's problems. When it comes to orchestral music, I would say it's usually the timpani, higher strings, and brass during peaks and crescendos that are most likely to give me problems. This piece didn't really have much of that.

Louis Armstrong
Completely unlistenable. Every note the trumpet played had so much bite I could feel it pounding on my eardrums. I had to turn it down low enough to the point that I would not be able to enjoy the music at all. At this volume, I was able to hear the air conditioning across the room, which isn't exactly normal during IEM use. The T2 did not present any issue, nor the ES4, though with the latter it certainly had a bit of bite to it.

Van Morrison
Vocals sounded a bit off and that thing he does with his voice at 0:40 made me squirm a bit and want to turn down the volume. Same when the dynamics pick up at 2:44.

Simon and Garfunkle
Another song that's a bit too soothing to take issue with. The vocals seemed a bit buried in the mix at times and the higher notes in the instrumental accompaniment like at 0:43 seem a bit unpleasant but probably nothing I would have paid attention to if I wasn't listening for it.

Edit: Just realized I completely overlooked your second spoiler.

The Menuhin/Oistrakh was impossible to listen to on the ZS10 for more than a few seconds. I skipped around but it was bad throughout. The recording quality isn't the best but it didn't really bother me with the T2 and ES4. I didn't listen enough to note whether there were specific parts that I couldn't listen to with these other earphones.

The Steinbacher/Suwanai was mostly fine but accents such as at 0:47 were still overly harsh. There were others but I'd have to listen closely to take them all down. Overall it was a much better quality recording but also a softer presentation of the piece.

I'm also including two tracks below.

Female vocals, piano, strings, metal ballad

Vocals at 2:47 start to sound really nasal to me. It's a repeat of what happens at 1:54 but I think the slightly wider vibrato and increased dynamics is what made it more noticeable.

Solo violin

With the ZS10 harsh and grating from the very first note. Piercing on the high notes. Sounds great with T2 and ES4.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #33,829 of 63,915
@NeonHD I had a similar feeling about my ZS6. I modded one pair by blocking one BA in each shell with poster tack.

I find for music, the single BA mod is the ticket.
For gaming I prefer them stock.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #33,830 of 63,915

ORCHESTRAL

TRUMPET

Guitar & Vocals

Vocals/Folk

Agree with @ChaoticKinesis

Got my zs10 from my friend back just to test

Bach

To soft in representation, shows the recessed mid nature, well detailing is good, the instruments don't show the forwardness, laid back and far away, but percussion and transition is smooth..
Flute seems weaker and blurred though..

Louis Armstrong

Nasal behaviour plus trumpet are to much. They come forward and hit my face. Soundstage depth is negligible in this track for me.. Have to use neutralizer and then it came out pretty good.

Van Morrison

Mids were fine, but I think crossover is colouring the vocals. Warmish and good but still not accurate and too loud. Treble here was airy and smooth...again neutralizer came to rescue but I think after neutraliser, his vocal started to ring(treble decay) a little which I found annoying.

Simon and garnfunkle

Laid back and blurred but somehow giving me the sound of airyness, which seemed artificial...but its okay

Beethoven symphony 5

Okay, good sense of space but piano came to forward sometimes. Relaxing but some energy is at wrong place

Vocals
Scarborough fair(Japanese version from shummatsu nano)

Females vocal at 1:07 is unbearable and wrong sense on instrument location

Amplifier is Neurochrome HP1

Smartphone is Lenovo Z2 plus(24bit DAC enable hack)

Compared with TinAudio T2, KZES4 and ZhiYin Z5000

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #33,831 of 63,915
Jun 19, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #33,832 of 63,915

Thank you very much for all the help! They're definitely tighter now and I'm really happy with them again .

On a side note, I just ordered this to replace my stock cable and bypass the noisy headphone jack in my Xiaomi A1. Has anyone read anything about it? Sorry for uploading the screenshot but I can remember if AliExpress links are allowed.
pls let us know if the dac and amp of the cable is good, thank you.

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #33,833 of 63,915
Can someone recommend a good set of tips for KZ ZSR? I usually use the blue "whirlwind" wide-bore ones, but the bore is so wide, that the nozzle comes out of the tip almost completely and I can actually feel the mesh against the inside of my ear. Not really pleasant.

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #33,834 of 63,915
Using the ZS6 for a while now. Amazing for the price. They fall out of my left ear cause of my weird deformed ear canals or whatever. But the comply tx500 seem to work well on these.

Does anyone know a good replacement cable?

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #33,835 of 63,915
You're correct about the frequency of the fundamentals for the notes in question. However, the voice and instrumental music contains a lot of harmonic content. This page has some graphs for typical frequency responses of the human voice: http://www.bnoack.com/index.html?http&&&www.bnoack.com/audio/speech-level.html

Also, here you can see the frequency response of a violin, along with some interesting sound samples demonstrating the effect of harmonics on the sound: http://acoustics.org/pressroom/httpdocs/159th/cfritz.htm

I bring up violins because I listen to a lot of violin music and I find violin dynamics painful with the ZS10. You'll note in the above link that the peaks in the violin FR are right around the same place as that of the ZS10. I'll just point out that the highest note on a violin is E7, which corresponds to 2637.02 Hz, and isn't actually played all that often, so all that treble comes from harmonics.

Thanks. Yes, I am aware that the overtone series and the strength of various overtones is really what gives instruments and voices their characteristics. For example, a clarinet only produces the odd overtones, which explains a lot about why they sound the way they do. I also looked at some FR curves for the ZS10, which tell me what you have been saying. Still do not hear what you and a few others are hearing with these iems. They sound nothing like what the curve shows. I will listen to a few of the posted tracks later today or tomorrow to see if I can hear what you are describing. I listen to a lot of large orchestral music, and was a trumpet player, so I listen to a lot of brass music. Even large brass passages in recordings I am very familiar with do not show the kind of problems being described. When I hear others (not you) call somethng unlistenable, that is a pretty strong statement. I hear nothing of the sort...

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #33,836 of 63,915
Thanks. Yes, I am aware that the overtone series and the strength of various overtones is really what gives instruments and voices their characteristics. For example, a clarinet only produces the odd overtones, which explains a lot about why they sound the way they do. I also looked at some FR curves for the ZS10, which tell me what you have been saying. Still do not hear what you and a few others are hearing with these iems. They sound nothing like what the curve shows. I will listen to a few of the posted tracks later today or tomorrow to see if I can hear what you are describing. I listen to a lot of large orchestral music, and was a trumpet player, so I listen to a lot of brass music. Even large brass passages in recordings I am very familiar with do not show the kind of problems being described. When I hear others (not you) call somethng unlistenable, that is a pretty strong statement. I hear nothing of the sort...
You would be experiencing something clear and upfront but for some people it may be unbearable

Everyone ears are different

Our gem can be your nightmare and vice versa

Instruments player and singer have a strong ear drum(pun intended, but no offense) and you get used to that...

Normal people find my 64audio u18t trebly, I don't find it.
They find etymotic lifeless and low fi, I find the cold and analytical bright.

They find ES4 super bassy and I find them good..

Jun 19, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #33,837 of 63,915
KZ ED16 and ZSR is the series I respect. Whoever the one designed them(because I am damm sure, it is the same person, my instinct tells me), I want his autograph.

When you see the FR, you see a weird 4kHz dip which may look wrong. When you listen to all the KZ, they have ringing at 4kHz which make them sharp. The BA design had this fault and KZ won't spend money at improving BA when they are releasing model so quick. What they did, as per my knowledge, is to create a dip there which would be automatically compensated by ringing of driver itself(by the way ringing do get reduced as well, but still enough to compensate the dip).

This create a little more stage as instrument smoothly linger due to that lovely decay(its no more ringing).

So it creates a pseudo stage which an IEM should not be able to produce.

ED16 is plain love.

ZS10 sounds better with vocals and few instruments. It does resolve better when there are very few instrument in song..

六等星の夜 Magic Blue ver. By AIMER was well placed and huge in stage..

This song gets least effected by FR, until or unless the IEM is very bad and ZS10 did show its caliber. But female vocal were a little upfront but that's okay.

Piano were amazing and precis....

But ZS10 can't take Live It Up FIFA Russia 2018 anthem properly..

ES4 blew me away, slayed ED16 when playing FIFA anthem. Ohh man, the stage and separation...it shook the iBasso it01 and near 100$ iem price taggers.

FLAC 24bit 192kHz FIFA anthem

Jun 19, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #33,838 of 63,915
Got my ED16, burned them for about 40 hours. The sound signature is really close to the ZS6. Not as good though, they don't sound as open, the upper mids and treble have a similar elevation and format with ZS6 but they are harsher and even distorted at some points. Just like you would imagine a ZS6 would sound if pushed over the limit and started distorting a tiny bit. Tried to listen for two hours at 40% volume and there's something about that unclear high range that gave me a headache. I can listen to ZS6 for hours no problem, even though they sound almost the same. I'll leave them to burn in some more, if nthing changes I'll open them up to block one of the BA.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #33,839 of 63,915
Got my ED16, burned them for about 40 hours. The sound signature is really close to the ZS6. Not as good though, they don't sound as open, the upper mids and treble have a similar elevation and format with ZS6 but they are harsher and even distorted at some points. Just like you would imagine a ZS6 would sound if pushed over the limit and started distorting a tiny bit. Tried to listen for two hours at 40% volume and there's something about that unclear high range that gave me a headache. I can listen to ZS6 for hours no problem, even though they sound almost the same. I'll leave them to burn in some more, if nthing changes I'll open them up to block one of the BA.
I think your ED16 is damaged or QC issues...

ED16 is actually a little darker than ZS6 and little more smoother.

Harsh high range is not possible as harshness comes from 4kHz to 8kHz... And 4kHz is dipped with 8kHz recessed.

Do sine wave sweep by some android app showing you which freq is going while playing...

If 4kHz to 8kHz is elevated, then your ED16 is The defective version... The above frequency can sound elevated, but if its harsh then get it replaced...

They only have high treble and half the strength of ZS6

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #33,840 of 63,915
I think your ED16 is damaged or QC issues...

ED16 is actually a little darker than ZS6 and little more smoother.

Harsh high range is not possible as harshness comes from 4kHz to 8kHz... And 4kHz is dipped with 8kHz recessed.

Do sine wave sweep by some android app showing you which freq is going while playing...

If 4kHz to 8kHz is elevated, then your ED16 is The defective version... The above frequency can sound elevated, but if its harsh then get it replaced...

They only have high treble and half the strength of ZS6

I've measured both channels and get the exact same frequency response for left and right, I find it hard to believe the same defect exists in both headphones. You always assume the headphones are defective if it doesn't match your opinions. Do you have the ZS6 and ED16 in hand to do a side by side comparison? I'm telling you, they sound damn near close but I much prefer the ZS6.

ZS6.fr.png

ED16.fr.png

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back