Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 18, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #33,811 of 63,962
On aliexpress app just search KZ ED15 most stores only have silver with mic at the moment but there are a few that still have black no mic

Jun 18, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #33,812 of 63,962
Yea zs10 is unlistenable to me without eq. That mount everest peak in the upper mids is brutal. Have over 200 hours on them and just had to put em away. There are other superior iems in the same price bracket, that I have moved on from them.
I can see if listening music very quietly or on low volume not hearing that peak. I listen at loud volumes though. Typically at 40/100 from cayin n5 on high gain, 85-90 on sony nwa45 and 10/10 on axon 7 m phone.

Oh well. Differant ears and differant gears. We hear what we hear and enjoy what we like. No right or wrong.

Jun 18, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #33,813 of 63,962
I can see if listening music very quietly or on low volume not hearing that peak. I listen at loud volumes though. Typically at 40/100 from cayin n5 on high gain, 85-90 on sony nwa45 and 10/10 on axon 7 m phone.

I have no desire to listen at high volume. Typically around 40/100 on the Cayin N3 low gain with iems. Medium gain with headphones.

Actually that IS loud to me...sometimes I turn it down to 30 something.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #33,814 of 63,962
Screenshot_20180618-101116.png
OK, as promised, here is the 2 things you can try.

I would not do both. I would honestly try #1 first. 99 out of 100 times, it is all you need to get the job done.

1. Splay the legs of the male 2-pin cable a few degrees. Not much, but just enough so the plug stays in the socket.

What you do is use pliers and BARELY bend the pins away from one another. You don't need much; just a very tiny amount. Then, plug in the cable and you will see that it fits much more securely now. Like this:

4. Use a needle to close the female pins in the 2-pin socket slightly. The female pins are split to allow flex, and you can use this flex to your advantage and make the pins smaller.

In the below photo you can see how the pins have a 'cut' down the middle. This allows them to flex and open up when you insert the cable pins. Well, you want to do the opposite - you want to use a small pair of pliers or the point of a needle, and push them closer slightly (making each hole smaller). This way, when you insert the cable, they will grip the pins tighter.

See how the 'cut' is wider on the right pin vs the left? The pin on the left (in this example) will fit tighter, and the pin on the right will fit much looser. I think your pins look like the one on the right. You want to tweak both of your pins so that they look like the pin on the left.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much for all the help! They're definitely tighter now and I'm really happy with them again .

On a side note, I just ordered this to replace my stock cable and bypass the noisy headphone jack in my Xiaomi A1. Has anyone read anything about it? Sorry for uploading the screenshot but I can remember if AliExpress links are allowed.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #33,815 of 63,962
Are the 500 the more appropriate for ZS6? How about sound quality with waxguard?

To be honest, I actually don't remember the model number, but 500 seems wide enough. Sound is a bit dampened, but if you have problem with sweat/wax entering your IEM, the tip definitely is a solution.

Jun 18, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #33,816 of 63,962
I have no desire to listen at high volume. Typically around 40/100 on the Cayin N3 low gain with iems. Medium gain with headphones.

Actually that IS loud to me...sometimes I turn it down to 30 something.
Yup my wife is the same way. Infact i think most people listen at lower volumes. I have just always been a punk though. Lol

Jun 18, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #33,817 of 63,962

Thank you very much for all the help! They're definitely tighter now and I'm really happy with them again .

On a side note, I just ordered this to replace my stock cable and bypass the noisy headphone jack in my Xiaomi A1. Has anyone read anything about it? Sorry for uploading the screenshot but I can remember if AliExpress links are allowed.

So glad you got your issue worked out!

I always prefer the easy solutions whenever possible:)

And yes, Aliexpress links are definitely allowed (and greatly appreciated by HeadFiers) as long as 1) they are not for a banned seller and 2) you remove all of the ‘referral junk’ after the .html

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #33,818 of 63,962
About 120 hours of full-album burn-in and full-playlist listening, I realize what the over-ear sound equivalent is to the KZ ZS6: Beyerdynamic DT880 (2012)! The semi-open and bright sound with the slight details of a closed-back is what both have sound-wise. However, what differs from both is the fun-sounding-aspect of the ZS6 and the analytical-monitoring-aspect of the DT880. Either way, those who have a ZS6 and want an over-ear equivalent should call their local Guitar Center or local music store to see if they have a DT880 for audition.:ok_hand:

Jun 18, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #33,819 of 63,962
About 120 hours of full-album burn-in and full-playlist listening, I realize what the over-ear sound equivalent is to the KZ ZS6: Beyerdynamic DT880 (2012)! The semi-open and bright sound with the slight details of a closed-back is what both have sound-wise. However, what differs from both is the fun-sounding-aspect of the ZS6 and the analytical-monitoring-aspect of the DT880. Either way, those who have a ZS6 and want an over-ear equivalent should call their local Guitar Center or local music store to see if they have a DT880 for audition.:ok_hand:

1More H1707 is very close as well.

Jun 18, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #33,820 of 63,962
I had a big live gig this weekend. Ended up opening for a major artist. Went out with my ZS10 on the drums for my iems.

I have never had such a clear sound on stage as I did with these. I could hear my singer, guitars, and keys all individually, crystal clear. The bass was absolutely slamming. Highs were perfect.

I've been wanting to get a full workout of them to see how they'd perform and they did absolutely amazing. I could easily ditch every IEM I own with these but I'll keep my zsr for backup.

Jun 18, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #33,823 of 63,962
3dB is 2x power, but 10dB is 2x perceived loudness. They are not the same. http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm

Also, 20dB is actually a 100x increase in power because it's multiplicative.

Looking at the graphs again, I guess it's not really fair to say 20dB. Compared to 1kHz, 2.4kHz is roughly +12-15dB (depending on graph) and 4kHz is +10dB. This is according to every result possible when you Google "KZ ZS10 frequency response."

These peaks are also a good 8-10dB above the highest point in the midbass, depending on whose measurements you look at. This is equal to at least a 5-8dB increase in that range over any other KZ that does not attempt to attenuate that peak.

Thanks for the correction. As far as the peak you are talking about, it is a ways above even soprano voice range. Tuning A is 440hz, Middle C is 261hz. A soprano can sing about 3 octaves. So the very top of a sopranos range is a little over 1000hz....

I do not hear the nasal characteristics you speak of, and I listen to a fair amount of female vocals in classical and other genres...

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #33,824 of 63,962
So glad you got your issue worked out!

I always prefer the easy solutions whenever possible:)

And yes, Aliexpress links are definitely allowed (and greatly appreciated by HeadFiers) as long as 1) they are not for a banned seller and 2) you remove all of the ‘referral junk’ after the .html

Ah, great. Well, here it is: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KZ-...260.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3da24c4ddh7obf

It does seem I'm one of the first people to jump on it since I can't find any reviews or information on these anywhere. I'll let you guys know how they work, once I get them in a month or so.

Jun 18, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #33,825 of 63,962
Thanks for the correction. As far as the peak you are talking about, it is a ways above even soprano voice range. Tuning A is 440hz, Middle C is 261hz. A soprano can sing about 3 octaves. So the very top of a sopranos range is a little over 1000hz....

I do not hear the nasal characteristics you speak of, and I listen to a fair amount of female vocals in classical and other genres...
You're correct about the frequency of the fundamentals for the notes in question. However, the voice and instrumental music contains a lot of harmonic content. This page has some graphs for typical frequency responses of the human voice: http://www.bnoack.com/index.html?http&&&www.bnoack.com/audio/speech-level.html

Also, here you can see the frequency response of a violin, along with some interesting sound samples demonstrating the effect of harmonics on the sound: http://acoustics.org/pressroom/httpdocs/159th/cfritz.htm

I bring up violins because I listen to a lot of violin music and I find violin dynamics painful with the ZS10. You'll note in the above link that the peaks in the violin FR are right around the same place as that of the ZS10. I'll just point out that the highest note on a violin is E7, which corresponds to 2637.02 Hz, and isn't actually played all that often, so all that treble comes from harmonics.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back