Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 16, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #33,737 of 63,914
I put in my ZSR's for a bit for comparison to the Ed16. The Ed16 bass is less boomy and more controlled.

"Less boomy and more controlled" is a welcome change.

Also, to me it seems like the ZSR has a little reverb like the treble is colored by the shell if that makes sense. Not sure if that's accurate but that best describes how I hear it.

Your thoughts echo my own.......
Excerpt from my review:

..... the ZSR is not as adept at layering and has slightly less defined imaging (compared to the ZS6), but I'd bet that this has more to do with sonic reflection due to the amount of space under the ZSR's dome-like faceplate. All those acoustics dancing about inside the ZSR's spacious housing would have a slight effect on diffusion and focus.

.......or "lack of focus".

Ed16 is more airy and detailed to my ears.

To my ears, more air is always an upgrade (so long as things remain cohesive).

ZSR has more upper bass and thicker mids.

The "thicker mids" are the ZSR's "ace in the hole" as far as I am concerned. Upper-bass, not so much.

Ed16 has better detail.

Another welcome change for my micro-detail addiction.

ZSR has smoother treble but less air up top.

For me, the alleged improvement in "air" and micro-detail are enough to set the ZSR and ED16 apart

.......and justify my excuse to add the ED16 to my collection.

Just look at it! It needs a good home.

612WV-01zpL._AC_SL1500_ (0).jpg

.....how could I not adopt one?

I promise to train and feed it regularly!

I'll even get it a fancy leash!

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #33,738 of 63,914
"Less boomy and more controlled" is a welcome change.

Your thoughts echo my own.......

.......or "lack of focus".

To my ears, more air is always an upgrade (so long as things remain cohesive).

The "thicker mids" are the ZSR's "ace in the hole" as far as I am concerned. Upper-bass, not so much.

Another welcome change for my micro-detail addiction.

For me, the alleged improvement in "air" and micro-detail are enough to set the ZSR and ED16 apart

.......and justify my excuse to add the ED16 to my collection.

Just look at it! It needs a good home.

.....how could I not adopt one?

I promise to train and feed it regularly!

I'll even get it a fancy leash!
I know you will love them! KZ did a great job on the tuning. Nice to hear that my impressions are validated.

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #33,739 of 63,914
Oye guys....

There is some info or rumour flowing in China about KZ ED16.

According to Chinese people, they think ED16 is trash and weird. KZ stopped the production once for a week but then continued it as people all over globe were praising it.

I was thinking, why do Chinese people consider ED16 as trash, it is way better than ZSR.

And Chinese people accepted ZSR like a gem.

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #33,740 of 63,914
Do you like neutral sound signature? It’s not for everyone. Some find it boring, and the biggest complaint of the T2 is the lack of sub bass. Trying to fix it by taping the vent hole is a ghetto fix, and doesn’t really address the issue without causing new ones.

You could always wait and see what the reviews are like on the T2 Bass Pro and also the T3, as they are supposed to be coming out soon (exactly when I don’t know).

It would suck to get the T2 now, only to kick yourself later, right?

If you count Tin Audio's little brother, the T515, as neutral then hell yeah I'd love a neutral sound signature. My favourite IEM up to date is still the T515 and I was hoping the T2 to be a direct upgrade from it with a more brighter treble, but yet still retaining the same kind of sound signature as the T515.

I'm actually okay with the lack of bass, I'm not that big of a basshead like I was before. Plus I recently also bought the I-INTO i8 which is a super bass heavy IEM from the looks of it.

Jun 17, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #33,742 of 63,914
After 48hours of continuous playing burn in tracks from the moment I received the ES4, I'm glad to report back that well done KZ on this one. Not that great to out perform my daily driver IT01, but I must say it's a step up from my previous KZ's owned (zst, zs3 and zsr).

I'm not too technical to give detailed impressions but from what I heard so far. ES4 somehow presents some deep rumble subbass (not overly done) missing from the zst and just right amount of details missing from the zs3.

Played the ES4 on my ipod classic 5.5 gen paired with Ibasso PB3 amp and with Zishan Z1(burson V5iD opamp). I never used EQ during my listening sessions.

I'm just glad to know that KZ has done a great job on this ES4.

Jun 17, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #33,743 of 63,914
Can anyone compare the ED4 and ED16? They both seem to get rave reviews.

Out of all my KZs, the ZS6 and ZSR are my favorites. The bass and midrange of the ZSR, and the clarity and overall balance of the ZS6.

On paper, the ED16 seems to be basically be a ZSR in a different shell. I wouldn’t get it unless it’s ‘better’ in some way.

Thanks!
Oh my! You know what? After the ZSR, ZS10, EDR1, ED9, ES4 and ZSA this year?

I’ve just bought those too! :D

(Man, this needs to stop)

Jun 17, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #33,744 of 63,914
After 48hours of continuous playing burn in tracks from the moment I received the ES4, I'm glad to report back that well done KZ on this one. Not that great to out perform my daily driver IT01, but I must say it's a step up from my previous KZ's owned (zst, zs3 and zsr).

I'm not too technical to give detailed impressions but from what I heard so far. ES4 somehow presents some deep rumble subbass (not overly done) missing from the zst and just right amount of details missing from the zs3.

Played the ES4 on my ipod classic 5.5 gen paired with Ibasso PB3 amp and with Zishan Z1(burson V5iD opamp). I never used EQ during my listening sessions.

I'm just glad to know that KZ has done a great job on this ES4.

Thanks for impressions! Glad I went with ES4. I hope it arrives soon. Don`t want to jump at ED16 without real need if ES4 proves to be worthy sidegrade to IT01.

Jun 17, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #33,745 of 63,914
Oye guys....

There is some info or rumour flowing in China about KZ ED16.

According to Chinese people, they think ED16 is trash and weird. KZ stopped the production once for a week but then continued it as people all over globe were praising it.

I was thinking, why do Chinese people consider ED16 as trash, it is way better than ZSR.

And Chinese people accepted ZSR like a gem.

Different tastes. Chinese market likes a specific signature which lots of brands try to cater to. Again, I'm glad KZ dials in so much variety with their signatures which gives people options.

I'm also in the ZSR is a gem camp. Not really interested in the ZS7/ED16 based on the comments, and I'm certainly not a fan of the look.

Jun 17, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #33,746 of 63,914
Btw, guys, can someone measure ED16 impedance? Is it really low as 8 Ohm they claim?

Jun 17, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #33,749 of 63,914
Jun 17, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #33,750 of 63,914

Users who are viewing this thread

Back