Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 16, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #33,721 of 64,001
My only gripe with the zs6 is the isolation when walking in traffic, commuting etc. I had been considering buying the zsr for the isolation. How do the new ES4 and ED16 stack up against the zsr in terms of isolation?

ED16 is less bulky and isolates similar to ZSRs, didn't try ES4 but I guess it fits and seals like ZSTs. In my ear ZSR and ED16 have the best isolation, ED16 is smaller and sound more natural IMO. So I recommend ED16, very good IEMs.

Thanks for the isolation comments!

How much worse is the ZST/ES4 than the ZSR/ED16?

Have you compared other brands IEMs isolation? Or the KZ EDR2 style?

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #33,722 of 64,001
Hey guys, new on the forum, but I've been lurking this thread for months (I guess the last 3-500 pages).
I currently own a pair of zs6 which I love (after putting in some kitchen sponge to cut the highs). I'm considering a trn bt3 instead of the current kz bluetooth cable i have. There is still some audio delay in the bt3 right? Does it change pitch sometimes as well like the kz bt cable does (sometimes it has minor glitches where the notes are wrong)?

My only gripe with the zs6 is the isolation when walking in traffic, commuting etc. I had been considering buying the zsr for the isolation. How do the new ES4 and ED16 stack up against the zsr in terms of isolation?

I can tell you that the TRN BT3 is light-years ahead of the crappy KZ bluetooth headsets. I tried all models of the KZ bluetooth and they have a terrible connection and crap battery life. The BT3 is by far the best Bluetooth experience available for the KZ. I have the aptx version and basic. Not much of a difference between the two. Battery lasts all day. There is very little audio delay. Well worth the purchase.

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #33,723 of 64,001
I can tell you that the TRN BT3 is light-years ahead of the crappy KZ bluetooth headsets. I tried all models of the KZ bluetooth and they have a terrible connection and crap battery life. The BT3 is by far the best Bluetooth experience available for the KZ. I have the aptx version and basic. Not much of a difference between the two. Battery lasts all day. There is very little audio delay. Well worth the purchase.

It should be for the price and size. The KZ modules aren't that bad for what they are. Mine is used with the Rose Mojito and I generally get just over 4 hours of use and very rarely run into disconnects (connected to either my LG G5, Shanling M1, or Asus FX53V laptop). More stable than a number of more expensive dedicated Bluetooth devices I've got. For less than 5 bucks, you can't really complain. The delay is annoying though, esp. since it starts out with none and suddenly there's a good second or so of it. Not for videos, that's for sure. Might have to scoop up one of those TRN cables to see how it is. Not a fan of the around-the-neck thing though.

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #33,724 of 64,001
Thanks for the isolation comments!

How much worse is the ZST/ES4 than the ZSR/ED16?

Have you compared other brands IEMs isolation? Or the KZ EDR2 style?

Bigger shell with less holes in it will isolate U better, if the shape is right and it sits tight in your ear. For example KZs isolates me better than my Shure or Westone universal IEMs. But human ears are different, you know)

Jun 16, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #33,725 of 64,001
It should be for the price and size. The KZ modules aren't that bad for what they are. Mine is used with the Rose Mojito and I generally get just over 4 hours of use and very rarely run into disconnects (connected to either my LG G5, Shanling M1, or Asus FX53V laptop). More stable than a number of more expensive dedicated Bluetooth devices I've got. For less than 5 bucks, you can't really complain. The delay is annoying though, esp. since it starts out with none and suddenly there's a good second or so of it. Not for videos, that's for sure. Might have to scoop up one of those TRN cables to see how it is. Not a fan of the around-the-neck thing though.

True for the price it does work but barely in my experience. I didn't like the connection being sketchy, battery, and the awkward module being on one side. I was always readjusting it. I mainly use mine at work so it's mostly tucked into my collar. I can get understand not liking the over the neck thing. My friend always called it a horseshoe lol! I used the LG models for years so I'm used to it. I've tried the truly wireless models in several good brands but they aren't quite "there" yet including Bose. I guess I've been a nut for bluetooth for well over 10 years now. For the 20-30 bucks, you can't beat the BT3. It does sync with video as long as you have a decent wireless connection for data. I could never get the KZ models to sync properly. The battery lasts 8 hrs plus. It's very comfortable. The mic is decent (not great only good) just make sure it's not under your collar. I always have that issue at work but otherwise it's sounds a bit better than speakerphone mode according to most folks I talk to on the phone. It does sound about 90% as good as the silver plated or newer copper cords so that's good. I highly recommend it to any KZ user. Good stuff

Jun 16, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #33,726 of 64,001
Bigger shell with less holes in it will isolate U better, if the shape is right and it sits tight in your ear. For example KZs isolates me better than my Shure or Westone universal IEMs. But human ears are different, you know)

Yeah I've been trying to figure out which ones have bass vents and on which side. The ES4 has 2 of them facing the ear, but maybe since there aren't any facing outside it still does well? I also read that the ZS5 isn't great, but that appears to only have 1 vent hole facing the ear, though it is smaller. What about other KZ IEMs? Is there a good way to find out? Finding good pictures?

And of course everyone's ears are different and these opinions I'm finding are for different people.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #33,727 of 64,001
Yeah I've been trying to figure out which ones have bass vents and on which side. The ES4 has 2 of them facing the ear, but maybe since there aren't any facing outside it still does well? I also read that the ZS5 isn't great, but that appears to only have 1 vent hole facing the ear, though it is smaller. What about other KZ IEMs? Is there a good way to find out? Finding good pictures?

And of course everyone's ears are different and these opinions I'm finding are for different people.

ZS5 has driver vents on the side of the shell, and the bass vent on the front of the shell by the nozzle.

Jun 16, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #33,728 of 64,001

KZ5, even the version 2, is pretty awesome - especially considering the 15eu coughed up. The soundstage is amazing and the treble issues fade away (EQed at first, the got used to it. Still some tracks are a nono) and the comfort/fit issue I had a first also dissolved in a few weeks of use. I'm really happy with it and adore being able to walk around in the rain without worry and get back home with my IT01. I also treat it like crap and it's holding up well! Although all is better with the IT01, the exception lies with its soundstage.

I'm considering a KZ6 even if ED16 and ES4 are getting good reviews.

Jun 16, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #33,729 of 64,001
Can anyone compare the ED4 and ED16? They both seem to get rave reviews.

Out of all my KZs, the ZS6 and ZSR are my favorites. The bass and midrange of the ZSR, and the clarity and overall balance of the ZS6.

On paper, the ED16 seems to be basically be a ZSR in a different shell. I wouldn’t get it unless it’s ‘better’ in some way.

Thanks!

Jun 16, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #33,731 of 64,001
Can anyone compare the ED4 and ED16? They both seem to get rave reviews.

Out of all my KZs, the ZS6 and ZSR are my favorites. The bass and midrange of the ZSR, and the clarity and overall balance of the ZS6.

On paper, the ED16 seems to be basically be a ZSR in a different shell. I wouldn’t get it unless it’s ‘better’ in some way.

Thanks!
I would describe the ES4 as smooth and warm. Elevated but controlled bass with great extension. Full, forward mids that have great detail but are not thin and crispy. Relaxed treble with no nasty peaks. Very wholesome and natural sound overall. Good but not great soundstage. Very relaxing. Good detail but not the kind that smacks you in the face like the ZS6. Subtle detail.

Ed16 has nice bass with good extension. Probably less bleed into the mids than ES4. Mids are nice and detailed but not as full as the ES4. Treble is elevated and there is a lot of air. Huge Soundstage. My only complaint is that the treble is a touch too strong but that may just be me. I eq'd the treble down about 3db and it sounds amazing.

Love them both. Hate the cheapo cable on the Ed16 tho....
These 2 are both very comfortable. They compliment each other well.

Jun 16, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #33,732 of 64,001
I put in my ZSR's for a bit for comparison to the Ed16. The Ed16 bass is less boomy and more controlled. ZSR has more upper bass and thicker mids. Ed16 has better detail. ZSR has smoother treble but less air up top. Also, to me it seems like the ZSR has a little reverb like the treble is colored by the shell if that makes sense. Not sure if that's accurate but that best describes how I hear it. ZSR is definately thick in the mids a bit like the ES4. Ed16 is more airy and detailed to my ears. ZSR is more relaxed but boomy in upper bass and mids. Hope that helps you Slater.

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #33,733 of 64,001
@MDH12AX7 I hear the ED16 the way you describe. It has been awhile since I last used my ZSR but I remember liking it. I love how flat in my ear the ED16 lies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back