Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 16, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #33,706 of 64,290
Stop listening to music altogether for a week...
And get some earplugs when you sleep. Brain will reboot and addiction is kept in check.... And its easy for you as you don't listen to technicalities.
+1
This thing does amazing "restart" to Your ears! I keep doing 4-5 days brakes 1-2 times in month - it re-adjusts Your brain/hearing and not to mention You differentiate IEMs more accurately, You also enjoy music more too!
Just received my es4 and immediately paired it with trn cable and wide bore medium size tips of my tennmak piano. Initial impression is it has more bass quantity and tamed highs compared with my first loved kz iem zst. Just like my IT01, i prefer the wide bore tips on the es4. It somehow lessen the bass a bit but still with enough punch on the lower end and reveal some clarity compared with the narrow bore tips I've tried. Will try to burn this in for awhile on my blackberry Q10 and see if there's any significant change.
Can You please compare IT01 vs. ES4 in more detail and make some side-by-side pics of shape&size? Please? Preferably both with wide-bore tips. Are those Auvio S size on pic?
My ES4 is still on the way along with burson V5i opamps.

Anyway, ES4 (in teal color) in my eyes is one of the nicest looking plastic IEM KZ has ever made.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #33,708 of 64,290
+1
This thing does amazing "restart" to Your ears! I keep doing 4-5 days brakes 1-2 times in month - it re-adjusts Your brain/hearing and not to mention You differentiate IEMs more accurately, You also enjoy music more too!

Can You please compare IT01 vs. ES4 in more detail and make some side-by-side pics of shape&size? Please? Preferably both with wide-bore tips. Are those Auvio S size on pic?
My ES4 is still on the way along with burson V5i opamps.

Anyway, ES4 (in teal color) in my eyes is one of the nicest looking plastic IEM KZ has ever made.
IT01 is more smooth and dynamic in nature compares to ES4, but suffers from mid bass bleed which is absent in KZ.

IBasso is way more coherent and enjoyable as bass seems to stitched together with mids and treble(sometimes leaks are good). It has natural decay.

KZ ES4 is more like v shape with boosted bass and treble, but KZ tamed both if compared to ZST or ES3. ES4 shows greater speed in SubBass and high treble, which makes it a little disjoint from mids compared to IBasso it01, but still is the greatest pair of KZ made till now. The only bad part of KZ is that they really don't know how to tune a BA, but ES4 shows that they did their homework, if not great, but still good. It is the most coherent multi driver KZ in market.

Why wise bore on both KZ and iBasso, is that both bleeds a little and wide bore makes sound thinner, so they counter react to get pleasant sound.

My suggestion is use JVC spiral dot with KZ to tame the treble without loosing the focus(comply makes you loose treble focus).

And iBasso goes with symbio W, it can't get cleaner sounding than this. No bleed and insane subbass boost.

@CoiL @Slater , mod is calling you, we need mods.....

And yah, I tried takstar pro82( closed ports) with hifiman super porous filter today.

Simply speaking, this is a godly headphone

Jun 16, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #33,709 of 64,290
IT01 is more smooth and dynamic in nature compares to ES4, but suffers from mid bass bleed which is absent in KZ.

IBasso is way more coherent and enjoyable as bass seems to stitched together with mids and treble(sometimes leaks are good). It has natural decay.

KZ ES4 is more like v shape with boosted bass and treble, but KZ tamed both if compared to ZST or ES3. ES4 shows greater speed in SubBass and high treble, which makes it a little disjoint from mids compared to IBasso it01, but still is the greatest pair of KZ made till now. The only bad part of KZ is that they really don't know how to tune a BA, but ES4 shows that they did their homework, if not great, but still good. It is the most coherent multi driver KZ in market.

Why wise bore on both KZ and iBasso, is that both bleeds a little and wide bore makes sound thinner, so they counter react to get pleasant sound.

My suggestion is use JVC spiral dot with KZ to tame the treble without loosing the focus(comply makes you loose treble focus).

And iBasso goes with symbio W, it can't get cleaner sounding than this. No bleed and insane subbass boost.

@CoiL @Slater , mod is calling you, we need mods.....

And yah, I tried takstar pro82( closed ports) with hifiman super porous filter today.

Simply speaking, this is a godly headphone

Completely agree with the detailed comparison. IT01 sound quality is still way better for me. By the way @CoiL here arw some photos side by side..
20180616_145237.jpg 20180616_145313.jpg

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #33,711 of 64,290
Need some suggestions on music types based on KZ models so I can figure out who to give them to
The models are:

ATE
ATR
ZST
ZSR
ZS3
ZS10
ZSA
ES4
EDR9
EDR1

I would like to match these KZ models with some DAPs to give to family/firends
So any ideas on IEM matches based on their sound profiles to these DAPs?

Benjie T6
ZiShan Z3
QNGEE X2
Cowan Plenue D
Cowan D2
Apple iPod Shuffle

thanks

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #33,712 of 64,290
Need some suggestions on music types based on KZ models so I can figure out who to give them to
The models are:

ATE
ATR
ZST
ZSR
ZS3
ZS10
ZSA
ES4
EDR9
EDR1
‘Pretty good for almost all of the genres’ —> ‘apply all’.

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #33,713 of 64,290
‘Pretty good for almost all of the genres’ —> ‘apply all’.
Except the zs10, its nassal.

ATE is enjoyable bass dark earphone(enjoyable bass bleed)
ATR is added treble
ZST is v shape detail maker with good bass
ZSR is cave story soundstage, like all old flagship headphones...huge
ZS3 is ATR with cleaner and boosted bass, but dark treble and extreme isolation
ZS10 is technical monster, tuning failure....fastest KZ but to nasal and weird high range.
ZSA is ZS6 inspired tuning with high range done right and more linear bass, but the midrange is little blurry compared to ZS6, with metallic resonance in subbass.
ES4 is what I defined, second flagship.....top is ED16

No info on EDR9 and EDR1

ED9 was technical inferior with tuning done right. Open and clear sounding, but issues were in QC.

ED9B is new cheap flagship, tuning remains same but decay is faster, sounds cleaner and treble is little more controlled compared to old ED9.

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #33,714 of 64,290
which comply tips will fit es4 tx-200 is small
will t400 fit?

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #33,715 of 64,290
Hey guys, new on the forum, but I've been lurking this thread for months (I guess the last 3-500 pages).
I currently own a pair of zs6 which I love (after putting in some kitchen sponge to cut the highs). I'm considering a trn bt3 instead of the current kz bluetooth cable i have. There is still some audio delay in the bt3 right? Does it change pitch sometimes as well like the kz bt cable does (sometimes it has minor glitches where the notes are wrong)?

My only gripe with the zs6 is the isolation when walking in traffic, commuting etc. I had been considering buying the zsr for the isolation. How do the new ES4 and ED16 stack up against the zsr in terms of isolation?

Jun 16, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #33,716 of 64,290

Interesting... I got no midbass bleed with stock IT01 nor with modded configuration.
Maybe we have too different source gear, amping etc. ,idk.
Just to be clear, I`m driving my IT01 out of HW&FW modded DX50 (specifics in my profile), 3.1V/80mA per channel @ high gain.
Using Auvio S size tips.

Inmodified configuration I get insane fast and controlled mid-bass/bass/sub-bass and percussion with zero bleed.
ATR is added treble
Current ATR & use exactly same driver. No sound difference whatever.
ZST I would call more of W-shape with overly harsh/sibilant highs.
And all the ZS3`s I got are nothing like ATR (which is better). My ZS3s have boosted bloated boomy bass, recessed mids and harsh highs.

Idk if we got different version/batches or whatever but my impressions seem to differ quite a lot from Yours.
But it is KZ... and we know they make changes without notice + QC is bad.

But ED16 gets raving impressions.... seems I just need to get it sometime soon -.-

Completely agree with the detailed comparison. IT01 sound quality is still way better for me. By the way @CoiL here arw some photos side by side..
Thanks for photos!
I like what I see - ES4 is larger than IT01 but not much and shape is also kind of similar. Though, I have small ears, ES4 still might have fit problems for me.
I hope not.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #33,717 of 64,290
My only gripe with the zs6 is the isolation when walking in traffic, commuting etc. I had been considering buying the zsr for the isolation. How do the new ES4 and ED16 stack up against the zsr in terms of isolation?

ED16 is less bulky and isolates similar to ZSRs, didn't try ES4 but I guess it fits and seals like ZSTs. In my ear ZSR and ED16 have the best isolation, ED16 is smaller and sound more natural IMO. So I recommend ED16, very good IEMs.

Jun 16, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #33,718 of 64,290
Except the zs10, its nassal.

ATR is added treble
ZSR is cave story soundstage, like all old flagship headphones...huge
ZS10 is technical monster, tuning failure....fastest KZ but to nasal and weird high range.
ZSA is ZS6 inspired tuning with high range done right and more linear bass, but the midrange is little blurry compared to ZS6, with metallic resonance in subbass.
ES4 is what I defined, second flagship.....top is ED16

No info on EDR9 and EDR1

ED9 was technical inferior with tuning done right. Open and clear sounding, but issues were in QC.

ED9B is new cheap flagship, tuning remains same but decay is faster, sounds cleaner and treble is little more controlled compared to old ED9.
Sometimes I’ve got the feeling you just write some random sentences, but this list makes a lot of sense. :)

The ATR has the same driver as the ATE now by the way, so that difference is gone.

Jun 16, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #33,720 of 64,290
Sometimes I’ve got the feeling you just write some random sentences, but this list makes a lot of sense. :)

The ATR has the same driver as the ATE now by the way, so that difference is gone.
Well my ATE was different from ATR(old versions) and I don't know what happened to new versions.

@CoiL
I find ZST v shape....

And ZS3 of mine, fortunately was cleaner on bass but was too much compared to ATE and treble dark..

Anybody with ZS10, I don't want to trigger you guys, I just didn't like it.

@Bartig I don't write random sentences....I think I try to be accurate from my ear point... Sorry if you find some things of mine random and crappy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back