Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 12, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #33,481 of 63,916
ZS6 added the following changes over the ZS5 v2:
  • CNC aluminum shell (more mass loading)
  • Shell has redesigned shape to provide much better comfort
  • Midrange driver is tuned differently
  • Front hole is 50% smaller to provide more sub bass
  • Rear vents significantly larger, moved from sides to back
  • Blue driver dampening coating deleted
  • Different nozzle filter
  • Addition of nozzle lip (on newer ZS6)
  • Additional color choices

The ZS6 is definitely my favorite with the ZSR coming in at a slightly distant second. If the ZS7/ED16 can bridge the gap between the ZSR's gently tapered mid to upper frequencies and the ZS6's full onslaught of all frequencies then KZ might just have something quite special.

What do I get out of it if I buy the ZS6 then the ZSR and finally the ZS7/ED16?

An inexpensive education ($45 + $28 + $24 = $97), equipment that facilitates further training of my ears (discernment) and three great IEMs......for under $100 total.

This is why I don't mind them releasing several models. Bridging the gap between sound signatures is a way to cover all the bases.

Those who find the ZST a bit too shimmery or bass-shy can go for the ES3 with it's slightly tapered upper-treble and thicker bass impact.

51uADqmEsVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The ES3 loses "air" but gains body. I still can't pick a favorite between the two. I love the ZST's air but the ES3's visceral kick gets me every time. To my ears, the ES3 bridges the gap between the ZST (improved separation) and the ZS3 (tapered treble and copious amounts of lower end).

Those who find the EDSE a bit too shimmery or bass-shy can go for the EDR1 with it's slightly tapered upper-treble and thicker bass impact.

Those who find the ED3 "Perfection" a bit too shimmery or bass-shy can go for the ED3 "ACME" with it's slightly tapered upper-treble and thicker bass impact.

Those who find the HDS1 bass-shy with too intimate a soundstage can go for the HDS3 with it's thicker bass impact and near holographic presentation.

.....and so on and so on.

By the way, think about that last one. More bass and more air seem "almost" counter-intuitive (despite the HDS1 and HDS3 having identical triple vents in the rear) but KZ pulled it off.

Bridging the gap has been KZ's M.O. for quite some time.

Their raison d'etre?

Find a need and fill it.

20160727_132739.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #33,482 of 63,916
They were never recessed to my ears. Have you read the past several
pages?

I've read the past several ages (and searched for all comments on ED16) and haven't seen many comments on the midrange. The general KZ sound is a bit V shaped with recessed mids which many here enjoy.

I guess the question is: how do the mids compare to other KZ's? Are they more forward or similar?

KZ's with the most prominent mids, from what I have been reading, are the single driver ones, specifically EDR1/2, HDS1/3 ATE, ATR, ED9. The best multi-driver are the ZSR. I've read positive things about the ES4's mids by one or two people, but the only comments on the ED16 I've found were that it was a bit better than ES4 (with no specifics if it was referring to mids or other things, and it wasnt the people that enjoyed the ES4 for more forward mids)

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #33,483 of 63,916
I've read the past several ages (and searched for all comments on ED16) and haven't seen many comments on the midrange. The general KZ sound is a bit V shaped with recessed mids which many here enjoy.

I guess the question is: how do the mids compare to other KZ's? Are they more forward or similar?

KZ's with the most prominent mids, from what I have been reading, are the single driver ones, specifically EDR1/2, HDS1/3 ATE, ATR, ED9. The best multi-driver are the ZSR. I've read positive things about the ES4's mids by one or two people, but the only comments on the ED16 I've found were that it was a bit better than ES4 (with no specifics if it was referring to mids or other things, and it wasnt the people that enjoyed the ES4 for more forward mids)
Even though I've only had a few hours with the ZS10 (and several weeks with the ES4), I can immediately tell you that the distant mids problem isn't there with the ES4; I had actually wondered where the hell my vocals went for the first couple hours of listening to the ZS10. So far, the ES4 seems like a better all-rounder in terms of sound signature while the ZS10 will work better in more isolated use cases.

Jun 12, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #33,484 of 63,916
Please help

Between zsa and es4 which is more comfortable for laying down on the bed? ( with one of the side face down) thank alot
Both are quite good. TRN V20 is the best for me, due to the soft touch it has. I prefer the ZSA slightly over the ES4. It's lovely small and comfy.

Jun 12, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #33,485 of 63,916
That's why I try and concentrate on the models that offer something unique (either in sound tuning, design, or features):
  • ANV (1st large diameter dynamic)
  • ED9 (solid copper body and changeable filters)
  • ZS1 (1st dual dynamic, 1st with crossover)
  • ZN1 (built-in amplifier)
  • HDS2 (smallest KZ, more neutral model)
  • ZS3 (1st KZ with CEIM-type design, 1st with 2-pin removable cable)
  • ZST (1st hybrid from KZ)
  • ZS5 v1 (1st quad driver from KZ)
  • ZS6 (flagship, aluminum shell, excellent sound)
The new models seem to just be a race to see how many virtually similar models they can crank out. The only one I am excited about is that large round one, because it will be the 1st large-diameter dynamic since the ANV. I forget the model code, but it looks like a big round bubble.

@Slater, I am a long time lurker on this forum and have come across many of your modding instructions. You also had an informative post on several methods of taming the treble on the ZS6. Back then you stated you liked mod #3 the most. I was wondering if this is still the case, would you say it improved the sound or did it have side effects, would you still advice people to try it?

Jun 12, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #33,488 of 63,916
kzatekingyou.jpg

For KZ, i am finding KINGYOU to be much better for isolation and long term comfort. Better seal = more bass texture/dynamics IME. As much as i LOVE comply, sometimes it feels like bugs are crawling in your ear canal after an hour of use and laying eggs in there, which are hatching at at alarming rate.

giphy.gif

I think they add a bit of a unique premium look as well :D

Makes me want to dabble more with KZ than throw into the closet now.

Jun 12, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #33,489 of 63,916
Thanks for this, from initial first listening and the audio check website listed this seems to be case!

My main concern is now is the cable prongs seem too big for my zs5!

They very well may be.

KZs use 0.75mm pins. Most non-KZ 2-pin plugs use 0.78mm pins. Assuming they are 0.78mm, it will be a ridiculously tight fit to get the plugs in the socket, but it is possible. Keep in mind that when you are done, however, the KZ socket will be permanently stretched, so from that point on only 0.78mm cables will fit (ie you will no longer be able to use KZ-compatible cables, as they will fall right out).

Jun 12, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #33,490 of 63,916
@Slater, I am a long time lurker on this forum and have come across many of your modding instructions. You also had an informative post on several methods of taming the treble on the ZS6. Back then you stated you liked mod #3 the most. I was wondering if this is still the case, would you say it improved the sound or did it have side effects, would you still advice people to try it?

Yes, for those that find the ZS6 has too much treble, then somehow disabling or removing 1 BA is my personal preference.

You could do it many different ways - plugging 1 of the BAs with laser bond/blue tac/beeswax/clay/epoxy, ripping 1 out with pliers (hopefully not damaging the other BA), etc.

However, since I made that post other methods have come out by others, mainly manipulation using resistors - directly soldering, using an impedance adapter, or using a $3 3rd party in-line volume control adapter (which are simply adjustable resistors ie rheostat/potentiometer). The advantages of the volume control is its 1) low cost 2) fully reversible 3) infintely adjustable so you can tailor the treble to your liking.

If you search for content by @Otto Motor, he beautifully details how to use one on the ZS6 (and I think he even includes graphs showing the effect on treble).

There are other methods of tuning the ZS6 as well, but they are much more advanced for the average Joe.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #33,491 of 63,916
Giant thanks to @Slater for the logo removal mod with nail buffing/polish removal sponges from Sally Beauty Supply. It worked out brilliantly!!! :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

1. Started with the KZ ZST. I followed @Slater advice to go from coarse to fine.

HzAXSA1.jpg

2. Leaving the sponge on the table, using my free hand to hold it at times and sanding while holding the nozzle was the most comfortable and quickest way for me.

GHVkpRj.jpg

WoojHU3.jpg

A75zQhL.jpg

Cuc7j3R.jpg

U2uFWrP.jpg

PT03iSD.jpg

8. Used a little bit of glass cleaner and a micro fiber cloth as the last step

U0uoxkR.jpg

9. Did the same thing in the same order of sponges with my ZS3

OxAS6Br.jpg

10. Cabled and ready to go (TRN Black Replacement Cable)

kSZCiCj.jpg

wPyeeLm.jpg

Jun 12, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #33,492 of 63,916
Giant thanks to @Slater for the logo removal mod with nail buffing/polish removal sponges from Sally Beauty Supply. It worked out brilliantly!!! :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

1. Started with the KZ ZST. I followed @Slater advice to go from coarse to fine.

HzAXSA1.jpg

2. Leaving the sponge on the table, using my free hand to hold it at times and sanding while holding the nozzle was the most comfortable and quickest way for me.

GHVkpRj.jpg

WoojHU3.jpg

A75zQhL.jpg

Cuc7j3R.jpg

U2uFWrP.jpg

PT03iSD.jpg

8. Used a little bit of glass cleaner and a micro fiber cloth as the last step

U0uoxkR.jpg

9. Did the same thing in the same order of sponges with my ZS3

OxAS6Br.jpg

10. Cabled and ready to go (TRN Black Replacement Cable)

kSZCiCj.jpg

wPyeeLm.jpg

Good job!

Every time I look to my ZS3 after this mod I can't believe I paid less than $10 for it. It looks like a $300+ IEM also the fit and isolation are incredible.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #33,493 of 63,916
Any comparisons of the ZS6 to ES4? I've halfheartedly committed to not buying another KZ until the 5 BA comes out. However, the ES4 doesn't look aesthetically pleasing (imo) but more importantly, the FR looks great. I'd like to hear impressions about the clarity relative to the ZS6 if possible. Thanks!

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #33,494 of 63,916

Nice job :)

You didn't want to buff them, so they are shiny and glossy? The buffing block looks just like the sanding blocks. It just has some sort of polishing surface that gets rid of all the sanding marks and makes it look like polished glass.

Also, I actually finished a few of these myself.

One tip I found in doing a number of these - you don't always have to start with the coarse one. Depending on how thick the logo/writing is, you can often skip the coarser ones and just start with the medium or even fine sander. It saves a load of time!

For example, on the ATE the writing is really thin, allowing me to start with the fine one. Then I hit it with the buff block and I was done. This took under 30 seconds TOTAL!

ATE Before:
KZ ATE Before.jpg

ATE After:
ATE after.JPG

Granvella A8 (ie iRock A8) Before:
Granvella A8 - before.jpg

Granvella A8 (ie iRock A8) After:
DSCN0094 - Edited (1).jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back