Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 3, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #29,956 of 63,897
You mentioned the-store-that-shall-not-be-named-nor-linked-to. Just look through this thread and you'll see where I used that phrase. Just a few posts after is a helpful group of links explaining why.

I wish this could be a sticky post/notification somewhere, somehow.

I see the picture now. Perhaps @ricemanhk would be able to provide a link.

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #29,958 of 63,897
That makes sense, but without any distinguishing mark other than the price, it seems like a real gamble. I've been on the lookout for a quality bluetooth cable for my KZs, ideally with 120mAh battery, aptX and AAC codec support. After the TRN disappointment I was thinking of getting a Meizu EP52, and splicing in the KZ 0.78mm plug cable.

On the surface, is it safe-ish to say that
store might have the real deal of the TRN cable ?

The the specs are in the different listings. If AptX isn't highlighted, its safe to say that's the non-AptX version.

The differences in pricing just makes it a little easier to spot.

Do check the listing descripstions for explicit listing of AptX compatibility before buying though. Whichever seller you choose.

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #29,961 of 63,897
Yep my ZSE were miswired too. Bought in Jan. How easy was it to open it without destroying?

Also, I don't know if this was posted before but I happened across it by accident. Someone modified the ZS6 crossover as an alternative to using the 75ohm impedance adapter. Suggested an 18ohm series resistor on the BA wiring and/or wiring the BA's in series with each other. It sounds like later he made some different mods instead.

http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2944

So, spend some time on the tuning mission...

My final take is simple:

1) Wire the two BA tweeters in series, this cuts output by 6dB and quadruples the impedance in the treble, making the overall impedance of the IEM more resistive.

2) Change the crossover cap for the BA tweeters to Panasonic ECPU 680nF/16V. This is larger than what you would expect from the impedance change (in theory 0.25uF should be used), however I like the way it sounds.

3) Change the crappy resistor to a Melf type replacement.

4) Use comply Foam tips with earwax screen or use the stick-on filters sold as replacements for HiFiman RE-400 with any tips you like.

The result to my ears deserves the moniker "Monitor". Next to it a 200 USD 4-Driver IEM widely well reviewed sounds muddy, with overblown bass and a total lack of midrange, making what I'd call "Hilarious dummy sound".

Anyway, it is not the ultimate IEM, but out of what I have had at hand longer term so far - all the way to 500 USD - I like this best. Ok, I'm cheating, my cable is Kondo KL level silver litz.... Will probably re-cable the internals in the same silver silver one rainy day.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #29,962 of 63,897
Yep my ZSE were miswired too. Bought in Jan. How easy was it to open it without destroying?
I've destroyed one pair of ZSE, trying to open the housing to replace the cable with 3 button remote. Splicing the cables were much easier for a second pair.
Maybe some solvent could work to weaken the glue, but the acrylic housing itself might get etched or dissolved.

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #29,963 of 63,897
I see the picture now. Perhaps @ricemanhk would be able to provide a link.

I bought mine on taobao, together with my ZS10. There are indeed 2 versions, older module only supports SBC, the newer one supports aptX. I don't see any physical distinguishing features between the 2, other than from the shop listing, so I would say get it from a reliable source in case there are any issues. There's not even any mention on the box or in the manual both in English or Chinese about aptX, I've only been able to check through my Android phone that shows which codec being used.

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #29,964 of 63,897
KZ Team, could you please tell more about? :D

Zrzut ekranu 2018-04-04 o 08.43.40.png

Apr 4, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #29,965 of 63,897
Apr 4, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #29,966 of 63,897

KZ ZSE bought on GearBest some time ago. Sounded terrible so I discarded them for a while as they costed very cheap. I Recently discovered the Right side was out of phase thanks to the audiocheck test and today I opened it and re-cabled it. Now they sound right, with the usual KZ sound, not bad at all for that price. Bass is prominent and highs are energetic, enough for outdoors light listening. Aesthetically strange but with their own style, pairs fine with my X3 in Rockbox mode and New Bee tips.
The box came torn in the middle but unopened. This was bought December 31st (took 40 days to arrive), and it is possible other batches are defective as with ZS3. I suspect many people don't realise some cheaper models are out of phase.
I hope Quality Control is improved in this new KZ year full of products.

Yeah, I've been meaning to check mine. I only listened to them for a short while before packing them away. Not that they were bad; I just have way too many IEMs and only 1 set of ears.

Apr 4, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #29,967 of 63,897
I just saw the purple colored ZS10. Now I'll need to buy one of those. Every time I've seen a purple IEM that I liked and that didn't cost $250+ when I went to actually order one that color choice was unavailable.

I think it only appears purple because the body is blue and the crossover circuit board is red (blue+red=purple).

Unless you are talking about the ZS10 entry @DocHoliday put on HF (in anticipation of a review). Because he color-manipulated that photo (you can tell by the color of the circuit board).

Apr 4, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #29,968 of 63,897
That makes sense, but without any distinguishing mark other than the price, it seems like a real gamble. I've been on the lookout for a quality bluetooth cable for my KZs, ideally with 120mAh battery, aptX and AAC codec support. After the TRN disappointment I was thinking of getting a Meizu EP52, and splicing in the KZ 0.78mm plug cable.

You mentioned the-store-that-shall-not-be-named-nor-linked-to. Just look through this thread and you'll see where I used that phrase. Just a few posts after is a helpful group of links explaining why.

I wish this could be a sticky post/notification somewhere, somehow.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1978#post-14135342

Apr 4, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #29,969 of 63,897

Doh!
I made the same mistake, ordered the cheaper one without realising that it didn’t have Apt-x

Interesting if you look at the apt-x version listings the chip the mention using is exactly the same as the Meizu EP52 you mentioned above!

Although no mention of AAC on that!

Does anyone know of a similar form factor that does have AAC? (Either naively for KZ or that can be spliced?)

Thanks

Apr 4, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #29,970 of 63,897
Here guys, this should help: http://shinytoylabs.com/jargon/

Be sure to choose the "audio" option.
"After my personal space cowboy unintentionally tainted my program, I obviously couldn't print it."

You can't make this stuff up.

Really.

It takes a specialized machine to make this stuff up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back