Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 2, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #29,866 of 63,897
I got a new KZ ZS3 so far my impressions are underwhelmed:

- I can't use my favorite eartips Tennmak Turbo due to this nozzle lipless even Starlines are getting stuck in my ears.
- That sounds different from the first version I've had (the matte one).
- Harder to get loud volumes on my phones.
- I bought that expecting a fun IEM with a good bass, so far the SQ isn't quite close to something like LG QB3, KZ ZST/ZS5v1 or Blitzwolf ES-1. (Using sources: Sansa Clip+, Sabaj DA2, LG V20)

Well, that is my first impressions after 1 year since I lost my old KZ ZS3. I'll try to change the cable to TRN V10 and blueetooth perhaps there's something wrong in the chain.

I bought my ZS3 last November from Gear Best and it appears shiny. With the stock cable, I find it to be bass heavy even with wide-bore tips. LGV30 -> Normal/Flat EQ -> Short Filter. Loudness is not an issue (normal quad dac mode).

I'm not trying to disagree or discount what you say but perhaps yours are faulty in some way? It seems odd.

KkiJFxx.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #29,868 of 63,897
I bought my ZS3 last November from Gear Best and it appears shiny. With the stock cable, I find it to be bass heavy even with wide-bore tips. LGV30 -> Normal/Flat EQ -> Short Filter. Loudness is not an issue (normal quad dac mode).

I'm not trying to disagree or discount what you say but perhaps yours are faulty in some way? It seems odd.

KkiJFxx.jpg

Well, indeed that's odd since 100% of reviews which I've watched recently they got this shiny version and everyone talks about bass as its best point. Perhaps I got a lemon which isn't even a surprise due to a lot of reports recently of drivers fallings and tubes/foams out of place. I will give it more tests through this week and report if I find something.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #29,869 of 63,897
I'm thinking about buy something cheap, decent, perhaps even boring :sleepy:, but with enough isolation. I remember the guy that was all about the ED7, but the isolation seem very poor on them.

I have a pair of EDR1 on the way, but maybe are too bassy for that.

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #29,870 of 63,897
The pattern is the same each time:

KZ announce new product:
  • Mass speculation, with product panned or praised based on pre-release pictures and wild guesses
  • Small number released into the wild
  • Mass speculation, with product panned or praised based on limited numbers of the IEM released into the wild, with sometimes poorly translated reviews and wild guesses
  • General release and over the top reviews, confusingly both positive and negative
  • Reliable reviews from trusted sources, followed by heated denials from people who will not believe a decent IEM can cost so little
  • General acceptance that said IEM is a solid value, but may not be to everyone's taste or comfort level
KZ announce a new product:
  • Repeat cycle.... :o2smile:
Makes Head-Fi a fun place to hang out.
Rather spend on some other brand, less hassle

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #29,871 of 63,897
in search of isolation.....

- good isolation is mainly a combination of tip material & insert depth.
the deeper you can insert with a good foam or double/tripple flange would provide better isolation than any shallow insertion.
- look for small barrel style IEMs (rather than the custom looking shells)
- you can also try... (was it coil's) reversed foam tip method? which puts the taper or the foam against the IEM instead of the "correct" way. (you just put the foam tips on backwards, it actually works good)

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #29,872 of 63,897
I would understand all the driver changes if KZ wasn't manufacturing them. If I buy a box of drivers and use them until I run out, then buy another box and do the same again, I can see why each new lot could have a different driver. When you own the production equipment and make the drivers, why you choose to muddy the waters and ruin the reputation of an established product is beyond me. My guess is the QC in manufacturing of drivers is as bad as that of assembling products and the differing lots were supposed to be the same thing and just missed the mark.

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #29,873 of 63,897
I'm thinking about buy something cheap, decent, perhaps even boring :sleepy:, but with enough isolation. I remember the guy that was all about the ED7, but the isolation seem very poor on them.

I have a pair of EDR1 on the way, but maybe are too bassy for that.

I received my EDR1's today, and they do indeed "punch above their weight," as folk 'round here like to say. :beyersmile: I remember someone (@Slater maybe?) saying that replacing the red mesh with stainless steel improved them even more? I just need to figure out diameter of SS mesh I need to order. You know, just because I can't seem to leave anything alone. :L3000:

Apr 2, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #29,874 of 63,897
in search of isolation.....

- good isolation is mainly a combination of tip material & insert depth.
the deeper you can insert with a good foam or double/tripple flange would provide better isolation than any shallow insertion.
- look for small barrel style IEMs (rather than the custom looking shells)
- you can also try... (was it coil's) reversed foam tip method? which puts the taper or the foam against the IEM.
I'm not that much in search of isolation, i just don't have a pair of IEM with a veiled/soft signature. I haven't try the ED7, but i have see reported that are very leaky.

Apr 2, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #29,877 of 63,897
Kz = fun? There are tons of other brand that is more fun
Just kidding with ya. I like my KZ earphones, because they got me back into the hobby. I like the sound of 'em. They look nice.
You are, of course, free to disagree with any of my opinions, including me kidding around. :dt880smile:

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #29,880 of 63,897
Bah. KZ's are great sport. :ok_hand: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If you are an early adopter, it is kind of like putting money into a capsule toy vending machine. You never know what you'll get.
So far I've enjoyed the ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back