Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 26, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #27,406 of 63,892
Not a bad description at all split the difference in es3 and Zs6.
more mids than es3
more bass then Zs6
highs are a bit more strident than es3
control is a bit less than Zs6 (bass is bigger but looser)

I've no problem with the treble of the ZS6 or ZST, so I'm good there. Check
More midrange than the ES3 is a good thing. Check
Big bad bass is more fun for EDM. Check
It all checks out for me.
One of each color sounds about right, though the red seems questionable. They should have gone with the translucent red that they used for the ED12 right earpiece. I won't cast final judgement until it arrives but I'm not crazy about their choice of color there.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #27,407 of 63,892
Hopefully, the KZR is a trend towards comfort. It took a while to get used to the KZ5 ergonomics for me. So much so I almost gave up after 2 weeks. It turns out that ears have pretty flexible & adaptable tissues. They're comfy now!
Soundwise, I'm not sold on the KZR...Would prefer a well built KZ6.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #27,408 of 63,892
1.) The Zsr is still typical of the Kz house sound in that they have big bass and big treble. Not as big on the treble as Zs5 or 6 but still above neutral by a quite a bit.
2.) The Zsr has the same bass as the Zs3 and are capable of delivering a performance most bassheads will like.
3.) The Zsr has better mids than the Zst. Particularly lower mids. The Zsr gets thinner as you go through the mids toward the treble. At first, I thought the entire midrange was recessed but really the thinning of the upper mids makes it appear so even though the lower mids are more present than the Zst and maybe slightly forward of where they are in the Zs5 and 6.
4.) There is definitely bass bleed into the mids that colors and somewhat obscures the mids. Tracks with a light bass make a good reference for what the mids can be without that bass coloration.

Also, this description makes me think I got my long-term wish, which was to get a more refined presentation of the HDS3. If that is the case then I might have to buy them dinner before I take them home.
KZ-HDS3-web.jpg

I suspected that the reason that KZ went with the slightly bulbous faceplates is to give the ZSR more air. Your description that they thin out as they climb the register tells me they are indeed tuned to improve on and mimic the HDS3's near holographic soundstage. If this is true then I'd like to shake someone's hand over at KZ. The HDS3 wasn't for everyone. Some just didn't warm to their tuning, but it remained one of my top five KZ's because I grabbed it more often than not (prior too the arrival of the ZS3 and ZST).

HDS3 negative.png

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #27,409 of 63,892
Jan 26, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #27,410 of 63,892
Hopefully, the KZR is a trend towards comfort. It took a while to get used to the KZ5 ergonomics for me. So much so I almost gave up after 2 weeks. It turns out that ears have pretty flexible & adaptable tissues. They're comfy now!
Soundwise, I'm not sold on the KZR...Would prefer a well built KZ6.

So your ears look like this now?

kryten2 - Edited.jpg

Jan 26, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #27,411 of 63,892
+1 on the Pioneer CH9T

I ended up selling my ch9t the moment I received my it01. Had compared them side by side and decided to keep the it01 as it has more bass but not overwhelming. The subbass of it01 rumbles deep without overshadowing the mids and highs. Detail reproduction of the it01 is very impressive plus the cable that comes with it looks really nice. It all boils down to personal preference I guess..

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #27,412 of 63,892
Just tried the kz silver wire cable on my kz ZS3 and i think it makes a small but notable difference, the bass is a little stronger and the mids and highs are a little more crisp i think the upgrade is worth the money but don't expect a world of difference

Jan 26, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #27,413 of 63,892
I ended up selling my ch9t the moment I received my it01. Had compared them side by side and decided to keep the it01 as it has more bass but not overwhelming. The subbass of it01 rumbles without overshadowing the mids and highs. Detail reproduction of the it01 is very impressive plus the cable that comes to it looks really nice. It all boils down to personal preference I guess..

Yeah, I've been eyeing the IT01. My plan is to treat myself next time it's on sale (11.11, black friday, etc).

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #27,415 of 63,892
Will also be waiting on sale to get another set. I have the black color and would like to add to my collection the Red & blue ones.. :)

Has it been on sale yet? Or has it always been ~$100 so far?

Jan 27, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #27,419 of 63,892
Thank you! Finally someone who shares my opinion on the E1001 Triple-Driver.

Add me to that list. Was never impressed. Way overpriced for the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back