Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 7, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #24,797 of 64,220
BTW, seems like burning-in the ES3 for a few hours was worth it

Well, mine has been running trough most of the weekend with me just having the occasional listening here and there, I can't speak for burn-in but I do it with every set I get none the less.
One thing though (and this has been iterated numerous times in this thread), I'm running these trough my Dragonfly Red.
A good source goes a long way to bring out the best in these and the DFR with its firm bass and bright-ish nature cleans up the bottom and puts sparkle to the top.

Nov 7, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #24,798 of 64,220
I can't speak for burn-in but I do it with every set I get none the less.
Same here. Whether it's a fact or a myth, placebo or not.

On a side note, it seems like the ES3's really needed to be burned-in (again, whether it's a fact or a myth), as I seem to genuinely enjoy these now. Aside from the bass boost, the mids and highs are now less recessed compared to when I'm using it yesterday. Now I could really say that I didn't regret buying these!

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #24,799 of 64,220
Anybody else got a nintaus X10 or Crazier R3 player? George sent me their version to review (Crazier R3) so I was comparing it to the Nintaus branded along with the Cayin N3, Benjie K9, and the Ruizu A50 and I may have stumbled on something. The Crazier and Nintaus are both slightly warm and slightly dark daps and they pair very well with the Zs5(v1) and Zs6.
If wasn't for the lacking of custom EQ... :unamused:

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #24,800 of 64,220
I wanted to upgrade the cable on my matte KZ ZS3 so i bought a silver kz cable on, let's call the shop gearbetter. But it seems that the pins are too thin for my headphones. On gearbetter they're selling the ZS3's but in glossy version and no one seems to complain about the silver cable. Is there something wrong with my headphones or the cable itself?
I made a short video to show that the silver cable is clearly too easy to pull out.
Anyone had the same problem as me?

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #24,802 of 64,220
I wanted to upgrade the cable on my matte KZ ZS3 so i bought a silver kz cable on, let's call the shop gearbetter. But it seems that the pins are too thin for my headphones. On gearbetter they're selling the ZS3's but in glossy version and no one seems to complain about the silver cable. Is there something wrong with my headphones or the cable itself?
I made a short video to show that the silver cable is clearly too easy to pull out.

Probably got .78 instead of .75 pins:disappointed: Larger the number thinner the pin like wire gauge.

THX @CoiL , looks like this is what they are calling the HD9. Seems like when I first saw this one it was called something else but can't dig it up!

HTB1ayMLQpXXXXbXXVXXq6xXFXXXE.jpg

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #24,803 of 64,220

Sorry for the mismatching cable but LOL, the music you put in the background :)

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #24,806 of 64,220
"Larger the number thinner the pin" that seems a little strange to me. Isn't the number the diameter of the pin itself?
@Mariusik the funeral theme fits nicely and it was already on the mobile youtube app when i was uploading it.

Only two sizes I'm aware of are the .75 (Most all KZ's) and .78, you may be right and maybe the .78 is a thicker pin:thinking:

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #24,807 of 64,220
First try with ZS6 + new bee foams + OFC cable, with my Schiit Fulla 2. Can't resist.

Even with foams, i find the highs too splashy on cymbals and some voices prone to sibilance, but not enormously. With a source with custom EQ, to put down a bit the response on 8k and 10k, it's easy doable. Comfort it's very good on my ears.

Ok... let's putting them back to noise burning...

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #24,808 of 64,220
Only two sizes I'm aware of are the .75 (Most all KZ's) and .78, you may be right and maybe the .78 is a thicker pin:thinking:
This would mean my older KZ had the .78 and I bought the right cable .75 as advertised on gearbetter. So I'll just go and buy a new KZ :). I don't really like the shape of ZS5. Do you think the ZST would work even with the straight cable or should I just buy the ZS3 again? Or is the ZS5 so much better that I shouldn't care about the looks?

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #24,809 of 64,220
This would mean my older KZ had the .78 and I bought the right cable .75 as advertised on gearbetter. So I'll just go and buy a new KZ :). I don't really like the shape of ZS5. Do you think the ZST would work even with the straight cable or should I just buy the ZS3 again? Or is the ZS5 so much better that I shouldn't care about the looks?

iirc Z did have a few iem's with .78 somewhere along the line but I think most have been standardized on the .75 now straight and curved plugs. I know I run this cable on both my ZST and it is stellar(Some of these KZ fellows have way more cable knowledge than I though)!

Chinese Carbons.JPG

Nov 7, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #24,810 of 64,220
Im listening to my ZSTs with the stock straight cable off of my ZS5 right now. One side slid right in, the other required a bit more force to be seated firmly. I find the straight cable a little more comfortable gives the cable a bit more clearance on its way around the top of my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back