Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 6, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #22,951 of 63,917
Compensation schemes and scale have a lot of effect there. The salient point in a comparison graph is how they differ - which is the sort of useful information you can more universally draw from a FR plot since you don't need to carefully consider the measurement setup (which hakuzen described btw, uncompensated, and you can look up the FR variances on his coupler since it's an IEC standards compliant one).

The graphs being posted here as you can see have about a 50 dB spread on the Y axis - this lets you see what's going on in better detail.

As an extreme example, a lot of graphs manufacturers like to post have a 140+ dB spread so everything looks nice and smooth.
I understood the large y axis scale makes the manufacturer fr seem very smooth. How do i make another graph for the zs6 compensating for the lack of a ear canal?

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #22,952 of 63,917
They go into details on their page, but the shapes relate to comfort and/or they have the anti-sweat ones, which may be coated I'm guessing?

I would go for the ones that have the most isolating effect.
Those anti-sweat ones have a fabric waxguard across the front that they claim is acoustically transparent, but I believe the common perception is they attenuate highs to some degree.

Come to think of it, that seems like it might be useful information regarding the ZS6 :p

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #22,953 of 63,917
Compensation schemes and scale have a lot of effect there. The salient point in a comparison graph is how they differ - which is the sort of useful information you can more universally draw from a FR plot since you don't need to carefully consider the measurement setup (which hakuzen described btw, uncompensated, and you can look up the FR variances on his coupler since it's an IEC standards compliant one).

The graphs being posted here as you can see have about a 50 dB spread on the Y axis - this lets you see what's going on in better detail.

As an extreme example, a lot of graphs manufacturers like to post have a 140+ dB spread so everything looks nice and smooth.
One more thing. What is salient point?

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #22,954 of 63,917
I understood the large y axis scale makes the manufacturer fr seem very smooth. How do i make another graph for the zs6 compensating for the lack of a ear canal?
That's a difficult question to answer accurately.

An IEC compliant coupler and calibrated microphone is the standards compliant stand-in for an ear canal - so as a direct answer they already are. So in basic terms the standards would be to then compensate with an equal loudness contour.

But I think you mean compared to what you hear from a set of speakers where standards have been defined much longer and against which other things are measured. And that's harder to say because by their very nature speakers interacting with your ear is an intensely directional interaction whereas you are always at the phantom center when listening to an IEM and additionally only a very small portion of your personal HRTF is actually being applied (as opposed to all of it for speakers and more of it for headphones).

And because at least as far as research I've seen, speakers and headphones are both well studied in this regards, whereas IEMs had long been assumed to not need study due to bypassing your HRTF. There's currently ongoing research into that issue and from what I've read, the problem with those older ideas is the bypass itself is a weird mechanism - even if pressure levels are identical (which should relate to volume), you compare it to what you've heard before, which makes ignoring those aspects an insufficient answer.

One more thing. What is salient point?
salient = important / noticeable (in this case also useful)

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #22,955 of 63,917
They go into details on their page, but the shapes relate to comfort and/or they have the anti-sweat ones, which may be coated I'm guessing?

I would go for the ones that have the most isolating effect.

I ordered a mix of sizes of the isolation plus 500s. :)

Thanks for the great help!

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #22,956 of 63,917
Sort of?

Most Complies I've tried are at least somewhat slower rebounding foam, which lend themselves to a much deeper insertion and a much better seal, but I find them to be pretty uncomfortable long term for the same reasons.

I can't get anywhere near that sort of seal with fast rebounding material like that found on cheap foam tips, but boy are they comfortable.

Thanks for that perspective!! :)

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #22,958 of 63,917
Oh hey, do I need to remove the metal mesh to see the BAs in the nozzle of the ZS5s? I tried just shining a light, but couldn't really see anything.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #22,959 of 63,917
Oct 6, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #22,962 of 63,917
Oct 6, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #22,963 of 63,917
Those anti-sweat ones have a fabric waxguard across the front that they claim is acoustically transparent, but I believe the common perception is they attenuate highs to some degree.

Come to think of it, that seems like it might be useful information regarding the ZS6 :p

That makes sense. There's no way that any kind of anything across the front would be acoustically invisible in actuality. Sort of like the differences that dust cover material makes on speakers.

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #22,965 of 63,917
After being lost in Chinese customs for a while I finally received the OFC upgrade cable I ordered awhile back... not exactly what I expected, but I try to just be honest about what I hear.

Sweeps with upgrade cable on one side and stock on the other: start panned towards the upgrade side at LF, slowly sliding center drifts towards the stock side by around 10kHz, shifts strongly and sharply back to the upgrade side at around 18kHz.

Try it they said, you won't hear anything they said. :shrug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back