Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 6, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #22,936 of 63,917
Had a mixed time with the ZS5s. Some things sound brilliant. Other things are fatiguing. Some EQing is helpful, other not so much.

But.

The stuff they DO sound good with, sounds really good. Best KZ I've heard good.

But other stuff, is basically unlistenable.

So... Kinda a mixed bag.

Worth keeping because of the comfort, and because they can sound great. It just depends.

Now I need to decide if a 6 is in my future.

v1 or v2? Shine a flashlight at the nozzle, how many BAs do you see?

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #22,937 of 63,917
I would tend to think there's a decent chance a lot of the distortion on the ZS5s comes from the source.

Most gear isn't specced to handle 8 ohms or less (fun with no crossover!)

Impedance that low on stuff specced for 16+ (which is most personal audio gear) can cause thing setup in voltage limited mode to run in current limited mode instead... and depending on the performance of the specific hardware involved, that then can sometimes rather unexpectedly lead to either compression or distortion being introduced, or something like that?

ZS6 having a crossover probably means a lot less of that happening.

PS: An Ear Buddy solved all of my distortion issues, but I checked all my hardware to make sure the distortion was likely coming from an impedance matching problems - I found undefined performance <16 ohms (trending towards absurd distortion at the border of the undefined region) on every piece of gear I own that I had complaints about in regards to distortion with the ZS5.
This might be what I'm experiencing as well with my ZS5. I also think it situates directly with the ohms of the earphones not matching up with some of my units. :sweat:

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #22,938 of 63,917
v1 or v2? Shine a flashlight at the nozzle, how many BAs do you see?

I'll check. I assume it's a v2. Just got it this morning.

It can be a bit bright. But on other stuff it sounds great.

Old rock in particular sounds kinda painfully bright.

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #22,939 of 63,917
Thank you. In the studio now doing a follow up. :) The full album is free/streaming at that soundcloud account. Our producer has pretty precise hearing and is a bit of a gear tweak (vintage ribbon mics, tube compressors) and we used a lot of legit vintage gear ('48 Hammond/leslie, clav, rhodes, etc) , so it's actually pretty good listen on phones. It also isn't overly compressed or squashed in the FR.

It shows. And I have listened to it all. Great stuff.

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #22,940 of 63,917
And those older models sound like **** sandwiches next to newer stuff. Flat does not inherently mean it's going to be worth a ****.

I agree with this! I've listened to some of the flatter graph IEMs (ER-4, SE-535 etc.) and it seems I prefer the squiggly wiggly ones more.

I don't care what a graph shows if I'm honest, the acid test is what I hear when I listen to them, the ZS5 and ZS6 could have graphs like the Himalayas and I'd still be happy.

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #22,941 of 63,917
I'll check. I assume it's a v2. Just got it this morning.

It can be a bit bright. But on other stuff it sounds great.

Old rock in particular sounds kinda painfully bright.

Try foam tips (i'm using ball type). It really help with fatiguing in treble focused music (in my case Rumours by Fleetwood Mac (SHM-CD) or Regatta Blanc by The Police). That Rumours with silicone Spiral dots was unlistenable. With foams much much better.

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #22,942 of 63,917
+1 for the foams.

I listen to a lot of metal and hip-hop, and believe me those genres are lightning rods for unpleasant treble. Foamed up the 6 (and I assume the ZS5) sound much better.

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #22,943 of 63,917
Try foam tips (i'm using ball type). It really help with fatiguing in treble focused music (in my case Rumours by Fleetwood Mac (SHM-CD) or Regatta Blanc by The Police). That Rumours with silicone Spiral dots was unlistenable. With foams much much better.

Can I ask which tips and what size?

I'm new at buying tips and they come in a variety of sizes (nozzle sizes, not fit) and they're expensive for something I'll just bin if they don't fit.

Thanks for the advice!!

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #22,944 of 63,917
Hmm, actually has anyone verified that Aptx even works on the bluetooth cable? I have a Pixel with Android 8.0 (oreo) and I've selected Aptx in the developer options yet when connected and streaming music it shows as "Streaming: SBC" and selecting aptx or any other option does not change it.

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #22,945 of 63,917

I'm new at buying tips and they come in a variety of sizes (nozzle sizes, not fit) and they're expensive for something I'll just bin if they don't fit.

Thanks for the advice!!

The sort of common standard for them is Comply...they have a search engine on their page so you can check the size:
http://www.complyfoam.com/

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #22,946 of 63,917

Thanks for the advice!!

Look for the equivalent of the "T500" size. 5-6mm area is what you want. Comply and other brands all give 'em. I have a set of these on the way.

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #22,947 of 63,917

Thanks for the advice!!
Comply recommends T500s.

A lot of the ali sellers don't distinguish between T400/T500 sizes, using them interchangeably for a 4.9/5mm sized nozzle

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #22,948 of 63,917
The sort of common standard for them is Comply...they have a search engine on their page so you can check the size:
http://www.complyfoam.com/

Look for the equivalent of the "T500" size. 5-6mm area is what you want. Comply and other brands all give 'em. I have a set of these on the way.

Comply recommends T500s.

A lot of the ali sellers don't distinguish between T400/T500 sizes, using them interchangeably for a 4.9/5mm sized nozzle

Thanks everyone!! I'll order some today.... I would assume the variations are simply preference?

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #22,949 of 63,917
Thanks everyone!! I'll order some today.... I would assume the variations are simply preference?
Sort of?

Most Complies I've tried are at least somewhat slower rebounding foam, which lend themselves to a much deeper insertion and a much better seal, but I find them to be pretty uncomfortable long term for the same reasons.

I can't get anywhere near that sort of seal with fast rebounding material like that found on cheap foam tips, but boy are they comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back