Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 6, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #22,891 of 63,916
ZS6 (green).

calibrated raw frequency response, not compensated. stock cable (no mic), thick silicone tips, deep insertion (these tips suffer a bit of highs roll-off after 12kHz).

ZS6_FR.png

comparison with ZS5 v1 (gray).
same conditions, averaged channels.

ZS6_vs_ZS5v1_FR.png

it shows the same big peak at 9kHz and 11kHz than appeared in Chris' graph. most differences between the graphs are due to Chris' graph were compensated, while this one is raw.
oh, man, that's 9dB higher than zs5 peak (at 11kHz). :frowning2:

Thanks for posting, buddy. Yup, unfortunately backs up my measurements (improved (less bright) midrange, much brighter treble - the difference in bass is, as I also noted for my measurements, that I block the inner vent as this is also the scenario that will happen in most ears (unblocked, the bass response is relatively similar to yours)).

Btw, if you have any SpinFit tips, would you mind to measure the ZS6 with SpinFit tips (single-flange) and post the graph compared to the stock tips? I'd be interested in seeing that.

Oct 6, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #22,892 of 63,916
ZS6 (green).

calibrated raw frequency response, not compensated. stock cable (no mic), thick silicone tips, deep insertion (these tips suffer a bit of highs roll-off after 12kHz).

ZS6_FR.png

comparison with ZS5 v1 (gray).
same conditions, averaged channels.

ZS6_vs_ZS5v1_FR.png

it shows the same big peak at 9kHz and 11kHz than appeared in Chris' graph. most differences between the graphs are due to Chris' graph were compensated, while this one is raw.
oh, man, that's 9dB higher than zs5 peak (at 11kHz). :frowning2:

Well, at least the left and right channels are well matched. It is for treble lovers.

Oct 6, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #22,895 of 63,916
Does The zs6 have distorted bass? You can test with Kendrick Lamar

I test with Reggae. I get no distorted bass even with good uncompressed modern recordings.

While I'm usually all in for green shells (*unintelligible mumbling and grumbling* you, GearBest, for sending me the black instead of the green ones), I have to say... oh my goodness, those. Red. Shells. Look. So. Beautiful!

Yep. They really look nice. I'm wondering if they'll look as nice once they kick around in my gigbag for a while. I'll let everyone know how the anodizing holds up.

Oct 6, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #22,896 of 63,916
I would tend to think there's a decent chance a lot of the distortion on the ZS5s comes from the source.

Most gear isn't specced to handle 8 ohms or less (fun with no crossover!)

Impedance that low on stuff specced for 16+ (which is most personal audio gear) can cause thing setup in voltage limited mode to run in current limited mode instead... and depending on the performance of the specific hardware involved, that then can sometimes rather unexpectedly lead to either compression or distortion being introduced, or something like that?

ZS6 having a crossover probably means a lot less of that happening.

PS: An Ear Buddy solved all of my distortion issues, but I checked all my hardware to make sure the distortion was likely coming from an impedance matching problems - I found undefined performance <16 ohms (trending towards absurd distortion at the border of the undefined region) on every piece of gear I own that I had complaints about in regards to distortion with the ZS5.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #22,897 of 63,916
Finally got it done - Zs6 review is up. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-zs6.22686/reviews

HifiChris - I'd be interested in knowing if this matches your finding thus far.

I enjoyed your write up @Wiljen , for me I prefer enthusiast write ups compared to the more technically detailed ones as they are more relatable to me:beerchug: You said more than a mouthful as well on the "What you can get for $50 these days as far as mid to HiFi audio:wink: Shopped right one could have a pair of ZS6 with a Benjie S5 and have an excellent $50 rig!

I have to agree with @HiFiChris , that satin finish red one is to die for:yum:

Here's some serious bass reggae for you @BurningSkies :sunglasses:

Oct 6, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #22,898 of 63,916
Oct 6, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #22,900 of 63,916
the good news. foam tips tame highs from 8kHz to 12kHz actually, so they help with those excessive peaks. they fix about half the difference with zs5.
i don't think that cables will achieve any peak cutting.

ZS6 tips (+ ZS5)

ZS6_FR_tips.png

Ostry tips don't tame those peaks. they reduce other upper mids and highs, so the peak at 10kHz is even more noticeable in comparison. tried ostry 200, as it is, but also filled with foam:

ZS6_FR_tips_ostry200.png
I am a noob here so it would be of great help if someone explained me something about frequency response measurements of iems. There is a large dip in frequency response of the zs6 between 4 and 7 khz. Isn't that a bad thing? Wouldn't the instrument between 4 and 7 khz sound more distant? Does this mean this isn't a reference tuning?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #22,901 of 63,916
ZS6 tip rolling (revision)

the good news. foam tips tame highs from 8kHz to 12kHz actually, so they help exactly with zs6 excessive peaks. they fix about half the difference with zs5, so zs6 might become enough "comfortreble" without EQ'ing.

Ostry tips don't tame those peaks. they reduce other upper mids and highs, so the peak at 10kHz is even more noticeable in comparison. tried ostry 200, as it is, but also filled with foam.
SpinFits neither helps.
And convinced that cables won't help in this regard either (cable comparison in my next post).

the word is "FOAM" for zs6, although i've not tried an A/B listening (your task..), and i'm not fond of foams.

ZS6_FR_tips_def.png

ZS6_FR_tips_def_zoom.png

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #22,902 of 63,916
I am a noob here so it would be of great help if someone explained me something about frequency response measurements of iems. There is a large dip in frequency response of the zs6 between 4 and 7 khz. Isn't that a bad thing? Wouldn't the instrument between 4 and 7 khz sound more distant? Does this mean this isn't a reference tuning?
By most accounts the ZS6 tends towards a somewhat V shaped tuning? So definitely not reference.

As for the deep cut, that's right around the sibilance zone, but at 4kHz you're already past most instrument fundamentals, I believe?

Here's a neat chart that tries to describe what different frequencies do to various instruments :wink:
http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Oct 6, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #22,903 of 63,916
Seems like the "foams" settles the zs6.
Also there should be significant mid bass

Can you put 2 graphs together
1) ZS5v1 stock and with foam
2) ZS6 + Foam
3) ZS6 stock
If it's not too troublesome?

Oct 6, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #22,904 of 63,916
Thanks, hakuzen! Great graphs, very useful. My conclusion is that ES3, ZS5 and ZS6 all have more uneven graphs than KZ ZST. The drop from 20Hz to 1kHz is bigger than ZST, the peak at 2kHz and the drop at 7 khz are still present. I guess I'm not buying any of these new KZs, doesn't seem worth it, given that comfort also hasn't increased. Pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back