Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 30, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #22,471 of 63,914
Which budget cable, sillicone&foam tips and case do you recommend for KZ ZS6 (ZS5) ?

Do newer silver cables really oxidize? Is Wooeast cable any good?
Do you recommend Spinfits ?

Do you recommend this case?:
rBn6un.png

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #22,472 of 63,914
Can't lie, I am still quite tempted to get myself the ZS6 just for collection, even if it doesn't sound as good as the ZS5. The black model looks sexy as hell. Sigh, I think I'll wait for more reviews as currently it seems quite mixed. Or maybe I'll just wait for KZ's next step-up release

I admit the metal construction is a big factor in me getting the 6. I love the 5 (and listen to them often despite having the P1 and Quad) but that plastic shell is ugh.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #22,473 of 63,914
on the Zs5, V1 has a single Ba in the nozzle which can be seen as single silver ring in the nozzle when you shine a light in it. V2 has both BA in the nozzle so the same trick will show 2 silver rings in the nose.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #22,475 of 63,914
on the Zs5, V1 has a single Ba in the nozzle which can be seen as single silver ring in the nozzle when you shine a light in it. V2 has both BA in the nozzle so the same trick will show 2 silver rings in the nose.

Hm. I don't feel like dismantling them, the grill is in the way so I can't see anything.

Ikr man the metal construction plus the colours. Hell, even the red one looks good. I just feel that I might regret purchasing the ZS6 later on haha

At that price, it's too cheap to regret. :p

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #22,476 of 63,914
Which budget cable, sillicone&foam tips and case do you recommend for KZ ZS6 (ZS5) ?

Do newer silver cables really oxidize? Is Wooeast cable any good?
Do you recommend Spinfits ?

Do you recommend this case?:

That case may be too small for the Zs6 with the cables attached, especially if you use after-market cables.

I prefer these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074H8Y76X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for cables as they dont tend to kink up and tangle and they seem well made.

On tips, I am a bigger fan of the spiral dots than the spin fits. I also really like the Comply tips for foams.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #22,478 of 63,914
Hahaha I'm a student on a tight budget so I've gotta work my sums right! But yes, if I didn't have a budget I would just cop these immediately haha

I'd wager if money is tight the difference isn't enough to warrant the purchase. It's still 2+2 and I'm thinking the shell is the main difference with the venting.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #22,479 of 63,914
I'd wager if money is tight the difference isn't enough to warrant the purchase. It's still 2+2 and I'm thinking the shell is the main difference with the venting.
Yeah that's what's stopping me from buying the ZS6. I would figure the difference in terms of sound is not too noticeable, and I can live with the ZS5 plastic shell. Unless I can sell my ZS5, otherwise I don't think it would be worth it

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #22,480 of 63,914
That case may be too small for the Zs6 with the cables attached, especially if you use after-market cables.

I prefer these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074H8Y76X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for cables as they dont tend to kink up and tangle and they seem well made.

On tips, I am a bigger fan of the spiral dots than the spin fits. I also really like the Comply tips for foams.

I also prefer that by look but some reported that it oxidizes and become green. I certainly would not want that. And they are listed as for "ZST" how is that compatible with zs5?

Spiral dots and Comply tips are not available on Chinese sites where I can buy them cheap. Besides, Comply tips are also too expensive on their own.

What case do you prefer for pockets of standard sized jeans? Hard KZ cases look like too big to fit.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #22,481 of 63,914
Hm. I don't feel like dismantling them, the grill is in the way so I can't see anything.
If you're trying to use a flashlight or similar, try positioning it farther away, or try different lighting conditions - good ol' sunlight can work well. Also try moving around a bit and holding them a bit further away - like looking through a picket fence as you walk by, you should be able to catch a glimpse of a distinct circle (or pair of them) on the other side of the mesh without removing it.

Sep 30, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #22,482 of 63,914
If you're trying to use a flashlight or similar, try positioning it farther away, or try different lighting conditions - good ol' sunlight can work well. Also try moving around a bit and holding them a bit further away - like looking through a picket fence as you walk by, you should be able to catch a glimpse of a distinct circle (or pair of them) on the other side of the mesh without removing it.

Looks like I got a V1. Definitely has me curious to snag the 6 now.

EDIT: Update. Bought the 6. It'll be here Wednesday.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #22,483 of 63,914
I purchased some of the Ostry tips that were mentioned earlier in this thread from amazon so we will see how they do on the Zs6 here shortly. Should have them Tuesday to try out.
Witch one ? The OS100 seem to take away 2dB from the peak on that graph and only over 8.5k-9kHz, but the OS300 seem to cut off everything, and affecting clarity.

See this: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ven...-performance-iem.777138/page-27#post-11888201
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/introducing-trinity-audio-engineering.760277/page-162#post-11975991

Maybe the OS100 can be helpful on tame the treble a little, otherwise mod the BAs on ZS6 seem a better choice, on treble cannon batch.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #22,484 of 63,914
I ordered a second pair of ZS5s from Gearbest on 14th September and they just arrived today: Grey, no mike, definitely version two. I can't get them to show up in pictures but I can see two narrow strips, for want of a better word, in the nozzle, whereas I can only see one with my original blue ones. They're nothing like treble cannons to me and I would say they reolve a bit better than the originals. It's not a huge difference but it is noticeable (unless my brain is playing tricks on me of course). Listening to Back in Black, the cymbals are crisper and the snare drum has more impact. Seem to have plenty of bass too, whereas with the originals I kept taping off the vents to get more bass (then taking off the tape because I hate driver flex, then putting it back on again because I felt the bass was lacking).

I also got the ES3s and ZSEs. Not sure what I think of the ES3s yet although they sound fine. Unfortunately the right side of the ZSE is defective - almost no sound coming out - so I've requested a replacement. Does anybody know if Gearbest will insist I send the defective pair back and if so, will they refund the shipping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back