Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 10, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #21,106 of 64,162
Hey guys
So I haven't checked the last 150 pages or so. Is ZSE still the best option under $10? Anything better (even if from some other company)?

Sep 10, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #21,107 of 64,162
You need to actually check out and reach the payment page in order to see the price.
Also use this clock:
https://time.is/UTC

Nice, didn't know about that site.

Also, on cell phones, if you have a "World Time" type app, you can use any of the following cities for a UTC reference: Dakar, Timbuktu, Lome, Abidjan, Accra, Jamestown, Reykjavik

Then you can just use the app to set alarms, watch for a specific UTC time, etc.

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #21,108 of 64,162
Did Mee electronics rip off Shure or ACS, Fiio F9 looks very like UiiSii US80. Did anyone patent their shape?

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #21,109 of 64,162
They are not for me but that in itself would prevent me from buying them. Personal bias against riding coattails. Please don't argue that that's not what this is. A buyer may not get confused but the wearer might get some Campfire street cred and it certainly isn't happenchance. It's a very unique shape and something Campfire did to set themselves apart. Makes the KZ design that much more disappointing to me.
And things won't get better until we act accordingly. It's a personal thing and I understand why another may feel differently but I'm sure Campfire worked quite some time on this design to differentiate themselves and be recognizably different as 2nd tier marketing... only to have it stolen and there can be no debate that it is stolen. There are many other IEMs that look like each other because of the format. Campfire made a concerted effort to stand apart while remaining functional only to have this happen. It's disconcerting and takes the shine off of what may otherwise be a VG value. I often buy cheap under $50 phones just to see what's up, gave a pair to another headfier the other day, but these will definitely not be one of them.

Rant over. Carry on.
Not to stand in the way of a good rant but... (and this has been said before...)

I have a hard time believing you're going to be fooling anyone worth fooling - anyone that knows what an Andromeda is (or a Campfire in general...) is going to spot a ZS5/ZS6 instantly as what it is... So, who exactly are you targeting as the unscrupulous buyer intent on trickery? Because if anything, it's more like a mass advertisement for Campfire... imitation is the greatest form of flattery, etc, etc...

Maybe we could let Campfire fight their own battles?
They're big boys, after all... and they seem pretty amused - after all, they picked KZ colors in two-tone for the Polaris...

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #21,110 of 64,162
Not to stand in the way of a good rant but... (and this has been said before...)

I have a hard time believing you're going to be fooling anyone worth fooling - anyone that knows what an Andromeda is (or a Campfire in general...) is going to spot a ZS5/ZS6 instantly as what it is... So, who exactly are you targeting as the unscrupulous buyer intent on trickery? Because if anything, it's more like a mass advertisement for Campfire... imitation is the greatest form of flattery, etc, etc...

Maybe we could let Campfire fight their own battles?
They're big boys, after all... and they seem pretty amused - after all, they picked KZ colors in two-tone for the Polaris...

Agreed. I don't think anyone is shallow enough to buy the ZSx just to walk around with the express intent to make people think they are wearing Campfires. I mean, c'mon.

People buy the ZSx because it's an ultra-budget friendly IEM with great sound for the price range. I could care less what it looks like - all I care about is how it sounds.

I'll put a sticker on mine that says "NOT Campfire" if that would make sure no one in the general public gets confused. Better?

I'm sorry all of the Campfire fans are upset by this. I'm sure the genuines are on a whole other level. Just be flattered and enjoy the music.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #21,111 of 64,162
Hey guys
So I haven't checked the last 150 pages or so. Is ZSE still the best option under $10? Anything better (even if from some other company)?

Its really dependent on what you're looking for / need in an earphone.

If you listen to predominantly energetic tracks that work with clean bass and not require a very detailed rendering, the ZSE's are wonderful. They sound really very good with U2 and REM and many vocals such Diana Krall and Cyndi Lauper.
But they are not so great with classical tracks that have very complex instrumentation lineups or delicate nuances.

Also they are great if you listen to them while stationary. Things fall apart if you move apart once you move about with them due to the really bad microphonics of the cables.

If you catch Gearbest's sale, the ES3 at its current $9.99 sale price might be a value preposition. At least seasoned reviewers like Vidal rate them rather highly.

Sep 10, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #21,112 of 64,162
I often will wonder how the sound is affected by the housing. I'm no audio engineer, but I would think that there's quite a bit to the shape of the housing, in terms of the effect on the sound. I think someone has mentioned this already (maybe somewhere in this giant thread) but I don't understand the thought of enjoying great bang for your buck but in the same breath being concerned about lack of originality in the housing. It's stand to reason that putting an emphasis on r&d in original housing will only inflate the price. Don't we all benefit from this imitation with that in mind? Moreover, no one seems to care about companies constantly using Sennheiser shells in the earbud community - it's almost looked upon as a type of salutation to a company that garners tremendous respect. I'm not sure I understand what's different about what KZ does?

Sep 10, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #21,117 of 64,162
For the price, ZS5 is pretty hard to beat. The 2nd revision of the ZST comes in pretty close. I'll have to wait for the ZS6 and see if it follows suit.

Don't forget they are releasing a ZS3 hybrid soon too. I love the ZS3 shell - so comfy and sleek looking!

Sep 10, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #21,118 of 64,162
Sep 10, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #21,120 of 64,162
Are you referring to the ES3? I've ordered it but it hasn't arrived. I'm looking forward to listen to it.
I got mine with the zs5 on Friday... Haven't moved in from the zs5 yet though.. :call_me: :call_me:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back