Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 10, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #21,091 of 63,906
[Mod Comment]

Gentle reminder. There is no "best tip" for an IEM. There might be a best tip for you, and there might be a tip you prefer - so when talking about tip choices it might be better to add "for my preference" when you are describing your own personal tip choices.

Also - just because someone has different preferences, there is no need to talk down to people. And especially if you are a more experienced Head-Fier - you should know better the sort of behaviour we expect on this forum.

I've just removed a couple of posts. Please remember the first "rule of thumb" in the Posting Guidelines - "be excellent to each other"

Thanks

Sep 10, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #21,093 of 63,906
I've owned the Tennmak Crazy Cello for a while and I think it's time for an upgrade and I will probably get some KZ (ZS5, ZS6, ZSR or another) in the near future.

There are some things I wanted to ask you:
- Is the KZ upgrade cable worth the money?
- Is the KZ Bluetooth cable any good? I usualy listen to music directly from my PC or cellphone (Lumia 950) and from my Shanling M1.
- Has anyone heard the ZS6?

Sep 10, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #21,094 of 63,906
IMG_20170909_232249.jpg
My KZ inventory. And I think there are some still missing. I definitely have the disease.
For my taste, the foam tips are the best. Except the hds1, one of the es9 and the ZSE, all have t400 large, and the ATE ATR medium. The ED7 has t200 large.
One of the main advantages of foam tips is the relatively large bore, mainly on the t400. The medium sized has the largest bore, which I found is the best with the ATE.
As for my favourites of the bunch, I have to choose the ZS5, the infamous IE80, the ATE and the ZSE.

Sep 10, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #21,096 of 63,906
I've owned the Tennmak Crazy Cello for a while and I think it's time for an upgrade and I will probably get some KZ (ZS5, ZS6, ZSR or another) in the near future.

There are some things I wanted to ask you:
- Is the KZ upgrade cable worth the money?
- Is the KZ Bluetooth cable any good? I usualy listen to music directly from my PC or cellphone (Lumia 950) and from my Shanling M1.
- Has anyone heard the ZS6?

- the upgrade cable is a great option for looks and, most importantly, because it is not rubbery at all, thus preventing microphonic noise and tangling.
- if you have the need for mobility and the cables get in your way, Bluetooth might be an option. Don't forget it's the Bluetooth dongle that will be powering the earphones, so don't expect a linear relation between what you can experience with a given cabled source and with the Bluetooth with a given earphone. The KZ BT cable has mixed reviews and you can find some impressions in this thread.
-at this time all of us have heard ABOUT the ZS6, but the first ones are still on the way on the slow boat from China.

Sep 10, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #21,098 of 63,906
How did you get the ES3 @ 5.99 USD? I've been checking it daily at 9:00 UTC and I don't see this price.

Exactly, you need to checkout just a second after 9:00 UTC, you wont see the lower price until you checkout. But you still need to pay fast, because the first 30 units will be sold in about 30 seconds.. I would recommend you to use paypal so you dont need to fill in your adress thus waste valuable seconds :D
Good luck, tomorrow is the last chance to get ES3 this cheap :)

Sep 10, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #21,100 of 63,906
- the upgrade cable is a great option for looks and, most importantly, because it is not rubbery at all, thus preventing microphonic noise and tangling.
- if you have the need for mobility and the cables get in your way, Bluetooth might be an option. Don't forget it's the Bluetooth dongle that will be powering the earphones, so don't expect a linear relation between what you can experience with a given cabled source and with the Bluetooth with a given earphone. The KZ BT cable has mixed reviews and you can find some impressions in this thread.
-at this time all of us have heard ABOUT the ZS6, but the first ones are still on the way on the slow boat from China.

So you are saying that the upgrade cable is almost a must have, right? Does it also have memory wire?
Regarding the ZS6 I was asking if anyone tried them already.

Sep 10, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #21,101 of 63,906
I guess some of those retailers or resellers ordered in bulk for business purposes. Gearbest price are sometimes even much lower than KZ's wholesale price as i recalled KZ once told me they had price control for sellers on platform like AE and Taobao whilst Gearbest is by itself a separate standalone platform with very big volume of order and they're willing to sell at a lost just for the sake of marketing and branding. So if you want guaranteed low price, Gearbest will always be the place.

Sep 10, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #21,102 of 63,906
I guess some of those retailers or resellers ordered in bulk for business purposes. Gearbest price are sometimes even much lower than KZ's wholesale price as i recalled KZ once told me they had price control for sellers on platform like AE and Taobao whilst Gearbest is by itself a separate standalone platform with very big volume of order and they're willing to sell at a lost just for the sake of marketing and branding. So if you want guaranteed low price, Gearbest will always be the place.
That explains why Gearbest started their pre-order of ZS6 at $35.32 with additional silver cable which last for a day or two and now it's going for $45.50 without the silver cable.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #21,103 of 63,906
People were worried that none of the screws were functional. The concern was justified, worse abominations have happened in the world. We shouldn't care about that one screw being used to complete the design (*cough* Campfire Andromeda *cough*).
I actually don't understand KZ, they had to design ZS5 and ZS6 from scratch anyways, no idea why they wanted to copy CA, they are not really trying to fool anyone by selling fake Campfire IEMs.
They are not for me but that in itself would prevent me from buying them. Personal bias against riding coattails. Please don't argue that that's not what this is. A buyer may not get confused but the wearer might get some Campfire street cred and it certainly isn't happenchance. It's a very unique shape and something Campfire did to set themselves apart. Makes the KZ design that much more disappointing to me.

Sep 10, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #21,104 of 63,906
They are not for me but that in itself would prevent me from buying them. Personal bias against riding coattails. Please don't argue that that's not what this is. A buyer may not get confused but the wearer might get some Campfire street cred and it certainly isn't happenchance. It's a very unique shape and something Campfire did to set themselves apart. Makes the KZ design that much more disappointing to me.

What you are saying is that people would potentially buy ZS6 over something else just because others might mistake it for the real deal CA? I never thought of it this way but it does look like a very real explanation to my original confusion about the reason for this copied design.
Whatever the reason is, they made a mistake imho. Nothing is morally correct in this world especially if you dig deeper, but this direct violation is just shameful. We should give them credit for the sound at amazing price point, but I am boycotting ZS6 as well. Now that I think about it, I feel a slightly bitter taste of regret knowing that I did purchase ZS5.

Sep 10, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #21,105 of 63,906
And things won't get better until we act accordingly. It's a personal thing and I understand why another may feel differently but I'm sure Campfire worked quite some time on this design to differentiate themselves and be recognizably different as 2nd tier marketing... only to have it stolen and there can be no debate that it is stolen. There are many other IEMs that look like each other because of the format. Campfire made a concerted effort to stand apart while remaining functional only to have this happen. It's disconcerting and takes the shine off of what may otherwise be a VG value. I often buy cheap under $50 phones just to see what's up, gave a pair to another headfier the other day, but these will definitely not be one of them.

Rant over. Carry on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back