Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 11, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #19,801 of 64,394
They share the same logo on them but the housing, tips, wire and the connector sure are different. Likely the internals as well. So not really a rebrand but more of an "inspired" look.
rvhGc13.jpg

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #19,802 of 64,394
KZ Headphones must be the worst in earphones EVER! (sarcasm). I am sitting at my desk with the following earphones in front of me:

Kinera H3 ($99)
Audio Technica IM50 ($80)
TFZ Series 5S ($82)
Sennheiser Momentums (in ear) ($99)
Sennheiser CX 980 ($250)
KEF M200 ($199)
KZ ZS3 ($12)
KZ ZST ($19)

And I am constatly looking for an excuse to use more expensive headphones instead of the KZ models. Even the KZ ZS3 that I bought on ebay for 9 EUR are a joy to listen to compared to the Sennheisers or the Kefs (the Kef's I find unbearable due to comfort issues, but anyway).

So I have over $800 worth of earphones when I could have just bought a pair of KZ ZS3 for $12 and spent the rest on alcohol and hookers. What gives?

I am not saying that the KZ's are better than the others. But to my ears, they sound just as good.

I kind of feel stupid right now. I read review after review when the reviewers swears that the 'new_model_of_earphone_x' for $49 sounds well above its price range, competing with earphones as expensive as $100 or even $200, then you buy it and its like 'meh', and you have to keep looking the the pie in the sky, and spending your hard earned cash for the next pair or earphones. Surely this time it will be different, I am sure they will sound that much better, but they never do. Keep trying. Keep spending. Keep it real.
budget chifi has gotten so scary good that you have to ask yourself seriously what you're gaining by moving from some of the $20 gems (e.g. the zs5 or my current flame, the e-mi) to the $<100 mainstream mid-tier players like senn or ath. better qc, i suppose, or perhaps (tho not necessarily) better aesthetics and accessories. frankly, even the gap between the best $20 chifis and the best $100 chifis has shrunk considerably, which is to say the magaosi k3 is better than the zs5, but not so much that i would give up alcohol and hookers to get one.

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #19,803 of 64,394
budget chifi has gotten so scary good that you have to ask yourself seriously what you're gaining by moving from some of the $20 gems (e.g. the zs5 or my current flame, the e-mi) to the $<100 mainstream mid-tier players like senn or ath. better qc, i suppose, or perhaps (tho not necessarily) better aesthetics and accessories. frankly, even the gap between the best $20 chifis and the best $100 chifis has shrunk considerably, which is to say the magaosi k3 is better than the zs5, but not so much that i would give up alcohol and hookers to get one.
yup. With both IEM's and headphones.

Aug 11, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #19,804 of 64,394
Yes but it won't be long with our interest to start creeping up to our western prices as their capitalist journey continues. So get it while the goings good

Aug 11, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #19,805 of 64,394
Yes but it won't be long with our interest to start creeping up to our western prices as their capitalist journey continues. So get it while the goings good
capitalist.gif

Aug 11, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #19,806 of 64,394
ordered a cable upgrade for my ZS5s a couple of hours ago,

now just ordered some Comply Comfort foam tips for them. I expect I'll be having them in for long periods of time. :)

Never had foam tips before, so I'm curious to see what they're all about.

Aug 11, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #19,807 of 64,394
I've been listening to my KZ ZS5 for the past 2 days and it's been great. Initially I too plugged the cables in the wrong way and had crazy phase issues. Very impressed with the value of these, it's slightly sibilant but definitely bearable for me. What tips do you guys use? The default star tips fit fine until they started to hurt my right ear, I've got spinfits on now that are slightly more comfy.

Aug 11, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #19,808 of 64,394
I've been listening to my KZ ZS5 for the past 2 days and it's been great. Initially I too plugged the cables in the wrong way and had crazy phase issues. Very impressed with the value of these, it's slightly sibilant but definitely bearable for me. What tips do you guys use? The default star tips fit fine until they started to hurt my right ear, I've got spinfits on now that are slightly more comfy.

For my ears foams are usually the best compromise.

Aug 11, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #19,811 of 64,394
Found this pic in Gearbest ZS5's feedback.

Can I have an expert's opinion? Are the 4 drivers used or not?

Bottom line is they sound great for the cost

Aug 11, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #19,812 of 64,394
Thanks guyz, love this thread!! Chi fi may save me from replacing my v6s anytime soon.

So I now have AliExpress on my phone. Does gearbest have an app?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back