Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 7, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #19,666 of 63,916
Move aside ZS5 :)

DGofmkvVYAIkEaQ.jpg
DGofpyIVoAANmka.jpg

DGofqNyVYAA76Vs.jpg

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #19,667 of 63,916
....though I still truly like both the ZSE and the ZS5, they're are both really good at their price ranges. But, the ZSE for only 40 to 49RMB ($5 to $6 US dollars) is just insane.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #19,668 of 63,916
Wouldn't really expect QC to be better or worse by color... though I admit reality is not required to be logical.

Anyhow, from lurking around here I've seen a lot more good said about Gearbest customer service - but they have a rep that hangs out here, so that's not entirely unexpected?
Still if you're worried about QC they certainly seem to have a better reputation for good service around here at least.

I opted to save about $2 each and got both of mine from Banggood (slightly cheaper after shipping etc) - the jury is still out on whether that was the best choice or not (haven't heard back yet about my grey pair) but they arrived within the advertised shipping times and for the most part they work. Can't really ask much more of something shipped dirt cheap direct from China?

Also I simply described my experience which make the problem sound rather annoying and quite prominent but I should probably add that my rather extreme high frequency sensitivity is pretty atypical. I frequently hear noise coming from devices that anyone I've ever met would describe as entirely silent, and back in college I recall having to step out of labs at times due people playing around with high frequency sounds that were either entirely inaudible or of obnoxious but not particularly uncomfortable volumes depending on who you asked - but to me they sounded like the wail of a banshee and left my ears ringing like a close proximity gunshot.

I'm trying to make this point without sounding like "my hearing is better than yours" but I feel like doing a pretty poor job of it (and honestly it's a curse not a blessing to have that much apparent gain across a narrow high frequency band). Anyhow I would imagine that what I've described as quite uncomfortable would be described by most people as "a bit too bright" or similar.
Ordered from Gearbest :)

Haha I can understand the feeling. It'd be so difficult to get the right pair of earphones.

in real life, the gray ones look like part of a car engine....like a carburetor part. Not sexy at all.

Now, my Rock Zircons...they are sexy.
810RvK9G80L._SX425_.jpg

Yeaah those look beautiful. Do they sound good as well (compared to ZS5? ) ?

1. Comply-style foam tips provide the best sound.
2. Comfort-wise, removing the memory wire helps a lot.
3. While I feel the bass is well proportioned overall, if you want more bass 'oomph' you can tape off the front vent hole (ie the small round hole by the nozzle).
4. I'm not a fan of the stock wire - I prefer the ~$5 silver upgrade wire. Lower impedance, less microphonics, softer feel. No mic though.

Other than those things, I'm sure you'll be happy with them (as-is or modded).

I thought of getting a pair of foam tips but I had to pay shipping for it separately from the same seller. Didn't make sense. Guess it's better to buy a few of them together.
I've ordered the silver cable too.
I'll try that once I receive it.

Thanks a lot for the help! :D

Move aside ZS5 :)

DGofmkvVYAIkEaQ.jpg
DGofpyIVoAANmka.jpg

DGofqNyVYAA76Vs.jpg

Whaat? A newer model?

Heck, I just ordered one ZS5! Should I cancel it and wait for this?!

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #19,670 of 63,916
Yeaah those look beautiful. Do they sound good as well (compared to ZS5? ) ?

To my ears, the Zircons sound better than the ZS5's. As do the KZ ED9s. But everyone has different tastes.

I like a robust sound, with solid bass and clear trebles. Both the Zircons and ED9s perform better than the ZS5 with my equipment: Benjie S5 and FiiO X1.

[edit]
I think I had a a phase or polarity issue with my ZS5s. They were sounding anemic, but i plugged the cords back in and they are now sounding much much better.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #19,671 of 63,916
To my ears, the Zircons sound better than the ZS5's. As do the KZ ED9s. But everyone has different tastes.

I like a robust sound, with solid bass and clear trebles. Both the Zircons and ED9s perform better than the ZS5 with my equipment: Benjie S5 and FiiO X1.

I would recommend the GGMM Cuckoo over the Zircons:
-about the same size.
-similar bassy signature but with better mids at the cost of less treble.
-better wire and seems to be more durable.
-much less dependent on perfect insertion and seal. It's almost like an earbud.

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #19,673 of 63,916
So has anyone else tried the KZ bluetooth module?
I'm thinking about buying one but can't decide if i want one for zs3 or zst.

Has anyone used a zst cable for zs3? i guess you'd only need to do a little dremel-work for it to fit?
Don't waste your money. I used mine for a few days before giving it up completely and I had the new 4.2 version. Skipping, only 1.5hr playback time, distorts easily.

It's every reason why I'm going to be very angry if the new Pixel has no headphone jack.

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #19,676 of 63,916
Does anyone know the best way to fix a cable with reversed polarity on one side, I am talking about ZS5 upgrade cable? I don't think it would be wise to try and open the plastic connector and reconnect wires properly, so I'm thinking about just plugging that side reversed. Now the pins are correct and the sound is correct, but connector has circular shape on one side and squared on the other, when you reverse them, they won't go in as far as they should and they easily disconnect. Has anyone with similar issues tried to perhaps cut some of the plastic around the pins, maybe make round side squared as well so that the cable at least goes deep enough?
HTB1MH3_OXXXXXaeXpXXq6xXFXXX5.jpg

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #19,678 of 63,916
Does anyone know the best way to fix a cable with reversed polarity on one side, I am talking about ZS5 upgrade cable? I don't think it would be wise to try and open the plastic connector and reconnect wires properly, so I'm thinking about just plugging that side reversed. Now the pins are correct and the sound is correct, but connector has circular shape on one side and squared on the other, when you reverse them, they won't go in as far as they should and they easily disconnect. Has anyone with similar issues tried to perhaps cut some of the plastic around the pins, maybe make round side squared as well so that the cable at least goes deep enough?

Haven't done it. But cut out the small side would be sufficient.

Aug 7, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #19,680 of 63,916
...okay, my Chinese colleague just chatted with a representative from KZ (Knowledge Zenith). Let's hope the LE becomes reality! ....Cheers! :beerchug:

You got the connect to the KZ circle and all you ask for is the ZSE LE???

TELL THEM TO MAKE A RIP OFF OF THE AUDEZE iSINE!!!! PLANAR MAGNETIC KZ? HERE WE COME! LETS GO!!!11

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back