Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 11, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #18,811 of 64,384
Hey thanks for the help!
I'm looking with something with more resolution (Philips doesn't have that you're right) but with a sweet+warm signature (like MH1C) or balanced, definitely not v shaped. So maybe I should try ATE and or ATR? Are they more valid for me?

ATR is a good option but broadening your search beyond KZ will give you more options. LZ Z03A available from Gearbest is a bargain at the moment.

Right, IMHO Shure E4c is still ahead of every KZ I've heard (ATE S, ED9, ED4, ZS3). Maybe Urbanfun hybrids give a better overall experience, but still worse at details and separation. I mean, in what way can chi-fi, or any other fi for that matter, improve a technology that's been around as long as dynamic drivers?

What a silly post!

There are better KZ earphones than the one's you mentioned (although I rate the ED9 highly). There are better ChiFi earphones for detail and separation than the Urbanfun; try KZ ZS5, Ty Hi Z G3 or even the budget friendly Seahf AWK009, I'm sure others can suggest quite a few more candidates - Havi Pro, PMV, TFZ King etc. Dynamic drivers are improving all the time which will mean the Shure have been left behind a long time ago. Multi-driver earphones are also improving, they have to otherwise there would be no IEM industry as we'd still be buying earphones from 10 years ago.

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #18,812 of 64,384
I'm looking with something with more resolution (Philips doesn't have that you're right) but with a sweet+warm signature (like MH1C) or balanced, definitely not v shaped. So maybe I should try ATE and or ATR? Are they more valid for me?
ATR is a good option but broadening your search beyond KZ will give you more options. LZ Z03A available from Gearbest is a bargain at the moment.

ATR has more detail and more energy in highs but frontal soundstage is closer to listener than ATE.
ATE is smooth but still detailed and has more distant, overall airier/larger soundstage than ATR.
Many think that ATR is upgrade to ATE but I think they are just different and for different tastes. Technically, in unmodified condition, ATR is better than ATE but
for my taste ATE is slightly better due to my long listening sessions and obsession for large airy soundstage and frontal depth/distance (I don`t want any sounds inside my headspace LOL).

LZ Z03A is kinda mixed bag for me. While it is technically better than ATR/ATE, it does have some midbass boost that may get irritating after longer listening and add pretty close frontal center soundstage (vocals)... not my taste. Gifted them away and wish I had bought some ATE/ATR`s for modding or now even 2x ZS5 (or ZST + ZS5) for that money.
Also getting right tips for LZ is not easy. I settled with Philips UE large bore ultra soft silicones whichreduced little midbass and made soundstage airier.

If You have little more money to add than for ATE/ATR, then I think ZS5 would fit You good.
ZS5 for me is almost like **** 4in1 but with less harsh highs and larger/airier soundstage.
Technically I think my ordering would be ZS5>4in1(JVC spiral dots S size+higher impedance cable)>ZST(Auvio large red bore S size tips)>ATR (KZ starline tips)>ATE(large bore tips).
Though, I maybe would swap places with ZST and 4in1 cuz ZST has better mids and soundstage for my taste and easier to tame highs peaks.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #18,814 of 64,384
ATR has more detail and more energy in highs but frontal soundstage is closer to listener than ATE.
ATE is smooth but still detailed and has more distant, overall airier/larger soundstage than ATR.
Many think that ATR is upgrade to ATE but I think they are just different and for different tastes. Technically, in unmodified condition, ATR is better than ATE but
for my taste ATE is slightly better due to my long listening sessions and obsession for large airy soundstage and frontal depth/distance (I don`t want any sounds inside my headspace LOL).

LZ Z03A is kinda mixed bag for me. While it is technically better than ATR/ATE, it does have some midbass boost that may get irritating after longer listening and add pretty close frontal center soundstage (vocals)... not my taste. Gifted them away and wish I had bought some ATE/ATR`s for modding or now even 2x ZS5 (or ZST + ZS5) for that money.
Also getting right tips for LZ is not easy. I settled with Philips UE large bore ultra soft silicones whichreduced little midbass and made soundstage airier.

If You have little more money to add than for ATE/ATR, then I think ZS5 would fit You good.
ZS5 for me is almost like **** 4in1 but with less harsh highs and larger/airier soundstage.
Technically I think my ordering would be ZS5>4in1(JVC spiral dots S size+higher impedance cable)>ZST(Auvio large red bore S size tips)>ATR (KZ starline tips)>ATE(large bore tips).
Though, I maybe would swap places with ZST and 4in1 cuz ZST has better mids and soundstage for my taste and easier to tame highs peaks.

OMG... I just realized I mixed up A2S and Z03A. :persevere:
I had A2S not Z03A but I think they are not so far off eachother due to LZ house sound of older models than A4.

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #18,815 of 64,384
What a silly post!

There are better KZ earphones than the one's you mentioned (although I rate the ED9 highly). There are better ChiFi earphones for detail and separation than the Urbanfun; try KZ ZS5, Ty Hi Z G3 or even the budget friendly Seahf AWK009, I'm sure others can suggest quite a few more candidates - Havi Pro, PMV, TFZ King etc. Dynamic drivers are improving all the time which will mean the Shure have been left behind a long time ago. Multi-driver earphones are also improving, they have to otherwise there would be no IEM industry as we'd still be buying earphones from 10 years ago.

This is a KZ thread, so I mentioned only those for comparison. But I will probably get a ZST or ZS5 at some point. As for dynamic drivers - the only problem with the idea of being left behind by Chinese dynamics is the fact that nobody at a higher level even uses dynamic drivers. Everyone important uses BA or multiple BA.

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #18,816 of 64,384
This is a KZ thread, so I mentioned only those for comparison. But I will probably get a ZST or ZS5 at some point. As for dynamic drivers - the only problem with the idea of being left behind by Chinese dynamics is the fact that nobody at a higher level even uses dynamic drivers. Everyone important uses BA or multiple BA.

That is very wrong...

Take a Look at Campfire Vega, Dita Dream, Hifiman RE2000

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #18,818 of 64,384
Checkout
JH Audio Lola
Campfire Audio Vega
Ocharaku

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #18,819 of 64,384
Jul 11, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #18,820 of 64,384
I had A2S not Z03A but I think they are not so far off eachother due to LZ house sound of older models than A4.

Z03A has a bit more detail and even though it's least complex has the better sound of the two.

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #18,821 of 64,384
Jul 11, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #18,822 of 64,384
Hey thanks for the help!

So far you've got a number of solid recommendations.

I'll throw a few recommendations into the ring as well:

Einsear T2
BossHiFi B3
KZ ZST
KZ ATR
KZ ED9

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #18,824 of 64,384
I have LZ A4 and whatever filter I used can't be able to appreciate it as I can't get a proper seal besides that it is power hungry. Using my opus #1, I am exceeding the red line in high gain. I like the sound coming from KZ ZS5. I have one IT03 coming to replace the A4 and bought the ZS5 just curiosity sake and didn't expect to surpass my expectation.

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #18,825 of 64,384
RE2000? It's a good single dynamic iem :wink: ZS5 is good too.

20170711_100940.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back