Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 30, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #17,956 of 63,856
How is the sub bass and soundstage compared between ZS3, Urbanfun Hifi, Einsear T2, and the ZST?

May 30, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #17,958 of 63,856
I like strong bass and am sensitive to treble, so I'm thinking that of all the KZ earphones, the ZS3 are the ones for me. Is that correct?

I'm trying to decide what to order next. ZS3, ZS5, UrbanFuns, Memt X5 and **** 4in1 are the current contenders...

[Edit] Just saw that ZS3 is on sale for $7.99 at GearBest, so I ordered them. At that price, why not?

I am really sensitive to treble too. I bought the KZ ED7 and ED9. I found the highs on the ED9 unbearable (although they get so much praise on this forum). The ED7 just sounded perfect to me, but they lack punch in the bass. I am sure you'll be happy with the ZS3. $7.99 is so cheap considering the performance.

BUT, I am 100% confident that I found the perfect earphone: Marshall Mode. They're $40 on amazon.com right now. They have strong bass, forward vocals and smooth treble (noticeably better than the ED7s which sounded perfect to me). They have an ergonomic shape that just fits. You don't have to worry about falling earbuds. The sound-stage is surprisingly wide too. $40 is a huge jump compared to $8, but it's still in the realm of affordable. And it's cheaper in the long run because you'll probably buy several different earbuds from KZ (and wires too) because they're so cheap. Also, the Marshall Mode comes with an integrated clip, a nicer mic and a much better wire that doesn't tangle as much. The build quality is night and day too. Compared to the KZ ED7, the Marshall Mode has much less wire noise when walking. It's kinda unbearable with the ED7.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #17,959 of 63,856
I am really sensitive to treble too. I bought the KZ ED7 and ED9. I found the highs on the ED9 unbearable (although they get so much praise on this forum).

You used the shiny gold filter on the ED9, right? Because the dull brass tip is unbearable as far as treble.

Also, I modded my ED9 and cleaned up the sound. Smoother treble, no sharpness at all, and much improved bass.

May 30, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #17,960 of 63,856
Your description of the sound reminds me an awful lot like the Xiaomi In-Ear Pro HD..

From a sound signature POV, I think that's actually somewhat true. But ZS5 just does everything better than the xiaomi gen 5. More bass, clearer and less sibilant treble, better resolution and separation. That might also be related to the ease of getting a better seal with the ZS5, as the xiaomi gen 5 nozzle is quite short and easy to break the seal even with starline or foam tips.

May 31, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #17,962 of 63,856
If I like the ED4 (which most folks don't) you think I would also enjoy the ED9s?

Thanks

There's really quite nothing like the ED4 (and I don't mean that in a good way). They're tuned very unique, with a sound signature that's way out in left field compared to most everything else KZ has.

In my opinion, the ED4 is one of the worst if not THE worst IEM KZ makes. So if you like the ED4, plan on your jaw dropping to the floor with 90% of other KZs compared to the ED4.

Let me ask you this - what do you specifically like about the ED4? If it's simply the $4 price, that's OK too because they make other models almost as cheap that absolutely shame the ED4. But the answer to that question will help determine what other KZs you may like (possibly including the ED9 as well).

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #17,963 of 63,856
I like the bass mainly. The highs arent great though and I noticed rock music really highlights the ed4s weaknesses. Particularly loud electric guitars sound really out of tune and distorted.

Thankfully I listen to mostly rap and techno trance, so bass and mids are more important. (at least imo for rap) I feel like the ed4s are quite efficient as well. They get quite loud even at low volume levels. Believe they have a high sensitivity db if I remember correctly from the specs.

Maybe Ill have a different opinion once I finally try out my atr and zs3s. I havent opened the boxes for those yet. Kind of waiting to get the perfect tips for the zs3 but the atr should be fine with the stock tips. (my friend spider tells me the stock atr tips sound good)

The zs5s will probably be my next kz iem that I buy but its fun learning and hearing everyones opinion on different models. Was wondering earlier tonight say in 6 months will they come down in price? I dont mind paying 35 bucks for them currently if the zs5 continues to review well from you guys. However, could we envision a day where gearbest carries the zs5 and has a flash sale on them like they are having for the zs3 right now. Guess a good indicator would be figuring out the zs3s original price compared to now. See how many % off that is, then apply that discount to the zs5. Maybe one day the zs5 will go down to 15-20 dollars.

May 31, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #17,965 of 63,856
I like the bass mainly. The highs arent great though and I noticed rock music really highlights the ed4s weaknesses. Particularly loud electric guitars sound really out of tune and distorted.

Thankfully I listen to mostly rap and techno trance, so bass and mids are more important. (at least imo for rap) I feel like the ed4s are quite efficient as well. They get quite loud even at low volume levels. Believe they have a high sensitivity db if I remember correctly from the specs.

Maybe Ill have a different opinion once I finally try out my atr and zs3s. I havent opened the boxes for those yet. Kind of waiting to get the perfect tips for the zs3 but the atr should be fine with the stock tips. (my friend spider tells me the stock atr tips sound good)

The zs5s will probably be my next kz iem that I buy but its fun learning and hearing everyones opinion on different models. Was wondering earlier tonight say in 6 months will they come down in price? I dont mind paying 35 bucks for them currently if the zs5 continues to review well from you guys. However, could we envision a day where gearbest carries the zs5 and has a flash sale on them like they are having for the zs3 right now. Guess a good indicator would be figuring out the zs3s original price compared to now. See how many % off that is, then apply that discount to the zs5. Maybe one day the zs5 will go down to 15-20 dollars.

Well, as with all electronics, prices tend to go down over time. For sure the ZS5 will be on sale later, particularly around those key shopping days like 11/11 in China. The flash sale for ZS3 might also be due to the ZS5 coming out. So it's a trade off between the enjoyment you get now vs the discount later...some will buy it now and others will wait. At this price point for me, I chose to get it now and enjoy it. :)

May 31, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #17,967 of 63,856
Finally received the blue edition of the KZ ZS5. Let's see if this one spares me the QC issues. :ksc75smile:

IMG_20170531_101256.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back