Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 24, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #17,791 of 63,916
May 24, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #17,792 of 63,916
No luck for me in getting discounts for KZ ZS5. Tried the 2 mentioned Aliexpress sellers from the last few pages and they were willing to give 2 dollar discount at max. So the price is still around 26-28 dollar.

I'll probably will pre-order at Banggood because i want the standard cable without mic. They only have the standard cable version with and without mic in both colors. Estimated in stock date is on june 8th. Price is now at 23 US Dollar.

May 24, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #17,793 of 63,916
I know not many people have the zs5 yet but are they better than these.
Urbanfun
Einsear T2
Boarseman kr25d
Hybrid pro HD
Cheers

In that list I only have the xiaomi pistons gen 5 (Hybrid pro HD). ZS5 is hands down better, more bass and smoother highs without the need for port mod (haha), better 3D spatial awareness although I think the gen 5 actually sound a bit more airy. That said I haven't done a direct A-B comparison between the 2, as my gen 5 have been lying in my drawer ever since the ZST arrived...and the ZS5 is better than ZST for me.

But still, normal IEM with the wire worn down has its benefits if you need to put on/take off frequently. I hated the mic position of the gen 5 though, it would always catch my shirt collar. ZS5 mic is lower, but it might mean you have to hold up the mic closer to your mouth in noisy environments. Yes, 1st world problems...:grin:

May 24, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #17,794 of 63,916
In that list I only have the xiaomi pistons gen 5 (Hybrid pro HD). ZS5 is hands down better, more bass and smoother highs without the need for port mod (haha), better 3D spatial awareness although I think the gen 5 actually sound a bit more airy. That said I haven't done a direct A-B comparison between the 2, as my gen 5 have been lying in my drawer ever since the ZST arrived...and the ZS5 is better than ZST for me.

But still, normal IEM with the wire worn down has its benefits if you need to put on/take off frequently. I hated the mic position of the gen 5 though, it would always catch my shirt collar. ZS5 mic is lower, but it might mean you have to hold up the mic closer to your mouth in noisy environments. Yes, 1st world problems...:grin:
Thanks mate for the reply. I have the kr25d and pro HD but was considering the Urbans and T2 when zs5 came out. Need a new toy.

May 24, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #17,795 of 63,916
I got a response from the seller **** about which cables you get if you order a silver or gold. They confirmed you will always get the original cable (whether you choose with mic or without) plus the extra silver or gold cable. I placed my order. Now the waiting begins... :upside_down:

May 24, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #17,796 of 63,916
Mine shipped on the 19th (I ordered during the $10 discount pre-order period). I'm awaiting its arrival.

Lucky you.. My seller replied today that the zs5 is now very hot cake and the factory will take more time to deliver it to them..upto 14 days..My God.. I wish my one also shipped with yours..anyways Let us know when u got your zs5 in hand.. Thanks.

May 24, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #17,797 of 63,916
To all of you folks asking about these upgrade cables. I noticed that the ZS5 cable looks 100% identical to the ZS3 cable (not ZST, but ZS3). So they should be interchangeable (gold ZS5 cable on ZS3, stock ZS3 cable on ZS5, silver ZS3 upgrade cable on ZS5, stock ZS5 cable on ZS3, etc). You can buy the ZS3 silver upgrade cable by itself for as cheap as just under $5. So don't fret if you forgot to order the ZS5 with an upgrade cable - just pick one up separately if you wish. I've seen them on ebay a few times where the price was cheaper than aliexpress.

Something to keep in the back of your mind...
well, i went back and did
That's actually what the mesh screen on the very tip of the nozzle is for.

The black foam is for tuning the acoustic properties only. That's its only purpose, plain & simple. Specifically, it's used by some manufacturers to enhance the bass.
well i went back and attempted the slater modification on the zs3--unless i'm blind (a distinct possibility) my sample did not have the black tuning foam. however the red mesh screen, which i did remove, is acoustically impervious--it's hardly pourous at all--and undoubtedly contributed to the sorta veiled, lofi treble quality. the mod does improve things significantly.

May 24, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #17,798 of 63,916
well i went back and attempted the slater modification on the zs3--unless i'm blind (a distinct possibility) my sample did not have the black tuning foam. however the red mesh screen, which i did remove, is acoustically impervious--it's hardly pourous at all--and undoubtedly contributed to the sorta veiled, lofi treble quality. the mod does improve things significantly.

confirmed then. my ZS3 also didn't have the tuning foams

May 24, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #17,800 of 63,916
May 24, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #17,801 of 63,916
May 24, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #17,802 of 63,916
Yes there are..
The one I mentioned above will do quick shipping afaik. Had good experience with him. Also if you ask and tell him you are on headfi he'll provide good discount.
You can pm me if you want to know the price I purchased for.

This seller was very good and replied almost immediately to a long list of questions. Excellent English and very patient.

May 24, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #17,804 of 63,916
This might be a totally obvious but, how do I detach the cables for my KZ ATR? I want to try and put in a chin slider of sorts and need them off to put it in but I don't want to pull too hard or do it wrong and break it.

May 24, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #17,805 of 63,916
This might be a totally obvious but, how do I detach the cables for my KZ ATR? I want to try and put in a chin slider of sorts and need them off to put it in but I don't want to pull too hard or do it wrong and break it.

They don't have removable cables. To detach them you'll have to disassemble the housing, then re-solder the wires when you're done. You can always use a twist tie as a chin cinch. Works well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back