Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 7, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #16,396 of 64,379
Kz has no durability at all..
My ed9 broke while staying in the drawer and today afternoon I was listening to the zs3 then I put it in bag
Take out in the evening and bamm right earpiece has no sound.
What happened is out of my imagination.
Not buying kz's anymore.

My ED9 cable was destroyed by my cat. about your case it's not 100% KZ fault though, your drawer humidity can also became a factor for it. And believe it or not, zero audio carbo tenore has that kind of issue where one piece suddenly became silent.

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #16,397 of 64,379
My ed9 broke while staying in the drawer and today afternoon I was listening to the zs3 then I put it in bag
Not buying kz's anymore.

Was it a case of "I put it in the bag and let it alone" or "I put in the bag and then walked around with it all day, with the IEM tumbling inside it"?

It's not my intention to sound rude, but I know plenty of people who put their earphones in drawers and then pile things on top of them, or toss them in the bag where the earphone gets thrown around all day. You can't blame the earphone for dying out in that scenario.

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #16,398 of 64,379
Was it a case of "I put it in the bag and let it alone" or "I put in the bag and then walked around with it all day, with the IEM tumbling inside it"?

It's not my intention to sound rude, but I know plenty of people who put their earphones in drawers and then pile things on top of them, or toss them in the bag where the earphone gets thrown around all day. You can't blame the earphone for dying out in that scenario.

It was "I put it in bag and let it alone". This I do daily but I don't know what happened today.
May be a bad day for me but still if you don't know how it happened it makes you frustrated.
I have hds1, zn1 mini, zs1 and these are seems to be durable but who knows as I use them rarely.

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #16,399 of 64,379
My ED9 cable was destroyed by my cat. about your case it's not 100% KZ fault though, your drawer humidity can also became a factor for it. And believe it or not, zero audio carbo tenore has that kind of issue where one piece suddenly became silent.

May be humidity is the cause but still I have other earphones also that doesn't suffer from this and are totally dry.

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #16,400 of 64,379
Not buying kz's anymore.

I've got 29 unique models of KZ earphones plus dupes of many and have only had a couple failures in the bunch, those happening with old, discontinued models. Not bad for cheapos and better than I've experienced with more established expensive brands. Like everything, they'll last if you treat them well. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #16,402 of 64,379

I've got 29 unique models of KZ earphones plus dupes of many and have only had a couple failures in the bunch, those happening with old, discontinued models. Not bad for cheapos and better than I've experienced with more established expensive brands. Like everything, they'll last if you treat them well. 

Out of ~12(1xED12, 1xZS3, 2xZST, 1x HDS3, 2xATE, 1xED9, 1xATR, 1xZS1, 1xRX) KZ earphones purchased, 1 has been outright defective, 2 have failed since purchase and 4 have been functional but arrived with issues.

Outright Defective -
ED12 - Left side doesnt seal, right one does  and sounds different.

Broken postpurchase -
KZ ATE - Jack gave up the ghost after being used daily for about 2 months. Partly my fault .
KZ HDS3 - Connection broke @ earphone entry after bieng used irregularly but slept with. Model has weak connection joints.

Functional but with issues:
KZ ZST - Crackle from one side when creating a seal. Mildly annoying.
KZ ZS1 - Jack was intermittent after first recieving them. Would cut out randomly. This stopped 30 minutes after owning them, don't know what that was about. Infuriating until it stopped,. Gave the pair away after a month of ownership due to liking the ATE much better.
KZ ATR - Drivers arent well matched - It just feels super weird listening to anything on these. Either that or they have better instrument positioning than the ZST and I'm just not realizing it.
KZ ZS3 - Red Earphone grille and some foam fell out the first time i replaced tips. Didnt seem to change sound too much.

So historically their QC hasnt been that great, atleast not for me.
On the other hand, defects have been minor and most are still functional.

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #16,403 of 64,379

Both have good midrange, but the ZS3 is easier to recommend without understanding what kind of music you like listening to. On paper the ZST is the superior model but in practice it is an acquired taste and most ZST owners either completely love the ZST or find it unbearable whereas you'll have a much harder time finding someone who doesn't appreciate the ZS3.

I think I'll be getting the ZS3 as my first KZ hehe. Thanks a bunch Griffith. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #16,406 of 64,379

Like everything, they'll last if you treat them well. 

Well, lucky or unlucky, it boils down to this.

Even if you "toss" them carefully in a drawer, or a bag, you may end up shuffling through that drawer later during the day, or someone else may (if you share the living space), or the bag gets moved here and there... the connectors or a cable joint may bend at just the right angle to lose connection, or the ear-piece gets banged, or squashed, or whatever. I'm sure some of he failures are due to QC issues, but if you want to be really sure and really take care of your IEMs - use a carrying case. Coil the cable neatly and place the IEM in the case.

They retail for as little as a buck a piece on Aliexpress (sometimes even less), and a small investment such as this will ensure your earphone's longevity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back