Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 21, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #15,559 of 63,917
Is the ZST a significant upgrade over the Soundmagic ES18 or Philips SHE3590? Like, night and day difference?

i've read users here claiming the ZST has a w-shaped sound sig. does it respond well to EQing? I don't like piercing highs and sibilance..

tia guys...

Jan 21, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #15,560 of 63,917
Is the ZST a significant upgrade over the Soundmagic ES18 or Philips SHE3590? Like, night and day difference?

i've read users here claiming the ZST has a w-shaped sound sig. does it respond well to EQing? I don't like piercing highs and sibilance..

tia guys...

If you don't like piercing highs I don't think you will appreciate the ZST. It has a very lively and forward presentation, great soundstage and it just overall brightens up your music and makes it sound more engaging. With that said, they can be tiring to listen to for long sessions.

I have never tried or heard any opinions about the two earphones you mentioned but ZST has plenty of earphones that suit different types of tastes.

If you like more neutral sounding earphones, try the KZ ATE.

If you like bassy earphones try the KZ ED9, KZ ATR or KZ ZS3, or even the HDS1 if you want something that has bass but also a very unique feel to it.

If you want a very bright and forward presentation try the ZST. In technical terms I believe that the ZST is easily the best sounding KZ earphone out of the ones I've tried. It has the best resolution out of any KZ earphone I've tried, some of the best imaging and soundstage which rivals or equals the KZ earphones I've tried and consider the best in that aspect. It has a removable cable, an upgrade cable option which makes them slightly less harsh on the highs. It's undoubtedly my favorite KZ earphone. If I were to pick only 3 earphones out of KZ's line they would be the ZS3, the ATE and the ZST. Those three sound significantly different from each other and each have different strengths and witnesses but all are very pleasant to listen to.

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #15,561 of 63,917
If you don't like piercing highs I don't think you will appreciate the ZST. It has a very lively and forward presentation, great soundstage and it just overall brightens up your music and makes it sound more engaging. With that said, they can be tiring to listen to for long sessions.

I have never tried or heard any opinions about the two earphones you mentioned but ZST has plenty of earphones that suit different types of tastes.

If you like more neutral sounding earphones, try the KZ ATE.

If you like bassy earphones try the KZ ED9, KZ ATR or KZ ZS3, or even the HDS1 if you want something that has bass but also a very unique feel to it.

If you want a very bright and forward presentation try the ZST. In technical terms I believe that the ZST is easily the best sounding KZ earphone out of the ones I've tried. It has the best resolution out of any KZ earphone I've tried, some of the best imaging and soundstage which rivals or equals the KZ earphones I've tried and consider the best in that aspect. It has a removable cable, an upgrade cable option which makes them slightly less harsh on the highs. It's undoubtedly my favorite KZ earphone. If I were to pick only 3 earphones out of KZ's line they would be the ZS3, the ATE and the ZST. Those three sound significantly different from each other and each have different strengths and witnesses but all are very pleasant to listen to.

I will keep saying it, please stop calling the ed9s bassy... Just throw away the golden filters when you get em

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #15,563 of 63,917
What are the two colors for the ED9 filters again?  I have 4 filters and can't remember which came from what.  If they're bronze and gold, why didn't they go for something more easily distinguishable like red and blue?

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #15,564 of 63,917
@ Griffith

thanks for the reply..
yes, i've read from this thread that the zst is bright and lively, but does it respond well to EQing? just to tame those highs if it gets too bright for me..

forgot to add that soundstage is a big plus for me, not bassy too..

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #15,566 of 63,917
I prefer the gold filters. Let the people decide pls.

It wasn't meant literally. The ed9 with golden filters are not special at all, there are 1001 cheap Chinese earphones that sound the same but better. Its the brass filters that make them special, and they're not warm or bassy at all. It just doesn't do the ed9 justice, calling them bassy. No one should buy them for the golden filters, but for the brass ones.

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #15,567 of 63,917
It wasn't meant literally. The ed9 with golden filters are not special at all, there are 1001 cheap Chinese earphones that sound the same but better. Its the brass filters that make them special, and they're not warm or bassy at all. It just doesn't do the ed9 justice, calling them bassy. No one should buy them for the golden filters, but for the brass ones.

+1

In fact, i think that ed9 with gold filter and ed3c kinda overlapping each other, though i still prefer ed3c than ed9(G) because the former feels a bit warmer

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #15,568 of 63,917
  That`s too harshly said imo
rolleyes.gif

What tips did You use?
What is Your source gear and file quality?

I have HD-681 (red ring old version) that is amplitude-corrector modded (Frans filter mod) and my source gear(s) give me better result with ATR actually with KZ starline tips.
Maybe You are not so used with its signature or Your preference is slightly boosted highs? 

I used the tips that came with. I'm not impressed by suggestions of different tips, even less by the ridiculous idea of fitting "better" cables as I've seen in this thread.

The (multiple) source gear and file quality were the same so that's irrelevant, sorry. I'm using an actual sound card, not the onboard crap, if you must know.

Finally, it's not about sound signature. I've gone from the extremely airy Sennheiser HD201 to the rather bassy Superlux HD681EVOs and despite the big difference in frequency response, both had much higher detail even with electronic music.

I'm not disputing that yours might be great, but mine's a dud and I'm not surprised at the variation in quality. Bought from gearbest, not some random store from aliexpress.

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #15,569 of 63,917
After using the ZST for a few weeks i am still impreesed and i like them , i have also bought the ATR . I lke them too . different sound and little smaller IEM but my son liked them some much that he just took them .. lol .. I dont hear any one about the ZS1 .. Is there a reason for ?  is it NO good ? any one can comment on the difference between the ZST and the ZS 1 ?  

hope to find out .. 

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #15,570 of 63,917
Hey everyone! (It's my first post!!!)
I'm a guy who's about to take his first step towards better audio. I've been following most threads on audiophile equipment and literally read over 300+ reviews on different audiophile equipment and recently I came across this thread. I was hooked, the idea of a great audio upgrade at such a low cost was appealing to me, to say the least. So I was thinking of buying a Hi-Fi player and a pair of IEMs to go with it. To be specific, I want to buy a Colorfly C3 along with a good KZ IEM. But I need your help in deciding which IEM to buy. So please help me out with your suggestions.

I've shortlisted my choices to ED9, ZST, ZS3 and ATE.
I prefer and engaging sound (v-shaped or w-shaped) and a soundstage that doesn't feel like the music's playing in the center of my brain. Sometimes, I also like to sleep with my earphones still in. And I would also like an IEM that isolates well.

So, what do you guys recommend? (Feel free to suggest any KZ IEM that's not in my list too)
Also, what's a better aftermarket pair of tips for the IEM you recommend?
Plus, would you need an amp for the IEM you suggested? If yes, then would you recommend an amp (sub 100$ if possible)?
Also, I live in India. So which seller is better for me, in terms of shipping speed and reliability?

Sorry for the long post and for bombarding you guys with lots of questions. It's just that I'm confused by a lot of choices. :disappointed:

Thanks in advance!!:grinning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back