Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 11, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #13,322 of 64,273
For running,cheap good enough and comfy: QKZ W1 PRO, I've been using them for a few months, 3 times a week and they are still ok
smily_headphones1.gif

I was thinking of getting them months back but I finally took the ATES.
Can you compare them to ZS3 for clarity,details and soundstage?

Nov 11, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #13,323 of 64,273
I have ZST not ZS3, QKZ are well designed for sport, stay in ears and you dont feel their presence while exercising,my ATE for running are not good, used them once and they failed the test for practical reasons. As for SQ, I can't complain, QKZ have rather neutral clear signature, if you want a detailed review then look here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/qkz-w1-pro-in-ear-sport-headphone/reviews/15903

ZST are better without any doubt, better separation, depth, bass.

Nov 11, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #13,324 of 64,273
Thanks
I think I will stick to ZS3, perhaps order the foam tips too like suggested for perfect fit, even though I don't like killer bass I also search for details and soundstage as psytrance music is all about that

Nov 11, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #13,326 of 64,273

Cant wait to try them. Ordered the ATRs after reading your earlier posts. Should arrive any day now, ordered 2 weeks ago.

You hear any differences OOTB and after some hours of use?

In general the KZ models I demoed and the one I have sound less grainy after some usage time. But I am in the moderate camp that acknowledges there are some burn in effects, but that you should just listen to it while burning in. My compromise is coming back from school and leaving my player to run some white/pink noise and lossless tracks. Important thing is not to push the volume too high when burning in! So if you like things loud then yes you may need a separate burning in :wink: There is some inconsistency with certain KZ manuals saying only 5 minutes enough while some product pages with KZ official pictures and instructions state 20hrs of burnin. 

Thanks guys!
I think I will get the ZS3, hoping it will give me an updated SQ compared to ATE-S that were bass hurting, though I think it was because it's muddy rather than very bassy, which it looks like the case of the ZST from what yu are saying.
Can I ask Easy Earphone to replace the stock cable with the updated cable in the box so I won't pay an extra 7$?

Hi just take note based on my demo ZS3 definitely is bassier than the ATR. It is ZS3>ATR>ATE-S. Don't want to put ZST as I only demoed stock cables, haven't received my own set and wildly different opinions about online based on burn in and cable upgrades. For me ZS3 is more lively than the laid back ATE/ATES/ATR hence I got it even though I don't like bass. As some others in the thread have done, I am ordering starline tips and wide bore tips for now and will try them when they arrive (Not getting foam as I don't like to keep shelling $ when my wax spoils them every so often). As of now, stock tips, silver cable and EQing down the bass just by a bit is pretty acceptable to me coming from my past UE200/500 and Aurvana In-Ear 3. See @CoiL's post for an amazing test of the silver cable. But doubt you can get the seller to change it, unless they don't mind opening the retail package. The stock cable is already boxed in, the seller just includes a separate ziploc bag with the silver-(COATED on copper) cable.
  To me, ATR bass portion is best out of KZ family and doesn`t have muddy/boomy/loose/enhanced bass. ATR signature is slightly V-shaped but in very pleasant way. It has natural, detailed and tight sounding bass (contrabass sound and timbre is great for example). That slightly V-shaped signature can turn into more balanced with tip-change (for me best result is with KZ "starline" tips).

Btw, I measured ATR impedance and on both sides it is 15,8 Ohm without cable. Cable itself is quite bad - 1 Ohm impedance, which is rather high and probably does make overall sound slightly "softer" or even less detailed than it could be. Will test some other lower impedance cables soon. 

Wish I had time/materials/knowledge to do your mods! Now I know why the silver cable gives a boost (many people have argued that cables should not make a big difference). Please do more measurements for other things too :D Really looking forward to try my ZST with the silver coated cables when they arrive. So the problem is the stock cable, will let others know about your findings!!

Nov 11, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #13,327 of 64,273
  I while back I posted saying how I had fit issues with the ZS3s and how I liked the sound of the ZSTs. after reading different recommendations and opinions I ordered 6 pairs of cloned comply tips from Aliexpress. Paid $6 for 6 pairs, T500, medium and large ones.

Happy to report, these tips are excellent. Feels great, fits perfectly to the IEMs and my ears. The vacuum effect I used to get from the ZS3s are now gone, great seals, and managed to get them deeper into the ear canals. I still don't think they are the most comfortable IEMs, at least to my ears, But fits better and much more comfortable than before. Now with that improved seal, the sounds of the ZS3 got soooo much better. I am hearing similar to what others have reported. More energy, V-shape, fun, better bass. Now I can clearly hear the difference between ATEs and ZS3s, the ATE is just more laid back and comfortable to listen for a long period. Before that I hated the ZS3s, the bass was rubbish, muddy, and utterly uncomfortable.

The ZSTs on the other hand weren't so lucky. With these tips, the seal improved, with that the bass, so much more bass, but not the nice kind. lose, just not nice, the treble got better though, smoother. I like the ZS3s much better now compared to ZSTs. 

I gotta say something about the size, if anyone is interested in giving these tips a try. I feel that large tips that come with KZ IEMs are about medium of these clone Complys. I use medium tips on the ZSTs, but large on the ZS3s.

Now, I cannot wait for the ATRs to arrive.

Thanks to your post I'm considering whether to sell my ZSTs brand new or try them out. When I first saw your post I decided to order a pair of ZST in case but now....... 

Nov 11, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #13,329 of 64,273
Looks like I"m set on the ATR. Now I have to figure out between the ZST and ZS3. I don't think I'll grab the silver cable, the savings aren't that much and they cost just as much as the IEMs themselves. And besides, I was thinking about sleeving my own cables anyway.

Nov 11, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #13,330 of 64,273
  Looks like I"m set on the ATR. Now I have to figure out between the ZST and ZS3. I don't think I'll grab the silver cable, the savings aren't that much and they cost just as much as the IEMs themselves. And besides, I was thinking about sleeving my own cables anyway.

Did you mean you will knitting or making your own DIY. cables? If yes, sound great. Cool!!

Nov 11, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #13,331 of 64,273
  Thanks to your post I'm considering whether to sell my ZSTs brand new or try them out. When I first saw your post I decided to order a pair of ZST in case but now....... 

Oops, sorry mate. I feel responsible for this. When first posted my impression of the ZSTs I genuinely liked them, they fit the best and sounded pretty good, loved that tight bass. They were my daily pairs on my 3 hours a day subway commute for a couple of weeks. I don't know if it's the effect of burn-in or the tips, I got the TFZ Series 5 a while back and they replaced the ZSTs on my commute for about 2 weeks. Now that these Comply tips arrived, I listen to them again, and they sounded... different. Not all bad, bass got boomy but highs improved..

Can you resist not giving them a go?

I am the nosy type. I would go to a restaurant that everyone says its bad, just to confirm it. Sounds so quite stupid saying it like this, lol.

I actually like the ZSTs better than TFZ Series 5 pre Harakiri mod, if that would bring comfort to you. the TFZ costs about $60.

Nov 11, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #13,332 of 64,273
I'm a little bit lost with all the options, can you guys help me out?

Listening to Hip Hop 90% of the time and I'm quite sensitive to sharp highs, so I'm looking for a warmer sounding IEM.
After some research I narrowed it down to the following choices:
ATR
ZS3
EDR2
ZST

Any idea which one suites my preference best? I'm also open to buy two pairs.

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #13,334 of 64,273
I'm a little bit lost with all the options, can you guys help me out?

Listening to Hip Hop 90% of the time and I'm quite sensitive to sharp highs, so I'm looking for a warmer sounding IEM.

After some research I narrowed it down to the following choices:

ATR
ZS3
EDR2
ZST

Any idea which one suites my preference best? I'm also open to buy two pairs.

Reading recent posts on this thread. I would summarize that ART are closest to being balanced. Still v-shape. ZS3s are fairly new and people are liking them for being enegetic and fun to listen to. EDR2, what are they? ZSTs, people have split opinions about them.

I would choose according to the deals you can get. Between ZS3 and ATR. Gearbest is having this great deal on the zST now. Link is on a few posts earlier.

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #13,335 of 64,273
  Thanks
I think I will stick to ZS3, perhaps order the foam tips too like suggested for perfect fit, even though I don't like killer bass I also search for details and soundstage as psytrance music is all about that

the zs3 are as tip-sensitive as any iem i've heard--with foams they're bass monsters, while with something like triple flanges they're almost neutral. i personally found the best balance with a smaller-than-typical size spinfit-type tip, which preserved details without losing the low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back