Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 18, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #11,701 of 63,915
The silver ATEs are nothing special to me but there is something very nice and alluring about the sound of a well amped ATE. i don't really have any desire to go back now that the ZS3 is in my lineup.

i am not sure the spiral dots i am using are the best fit for the ZS3 though, as they always end up pushed all the way down after a couple uses.

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #11,702 of 63,915
  roy_jones nice profile pic man was listening to Angel from that album on my ATE's the other day, it sounds great on them bass levels just right :)

Got any quick impressions B9?

I've got the ATE's arriving in the next few weeks and am excited to try some of these value oriented Chinese IEMs.  I was around when the options were limited and really expensive, and it's amazing to see how far things have come, especially the last four or so years.  I'm curious about how much better the isolation is with the ATE compared to the ED9s as I was contemplating the ED9s and then got turned off after reading that they're poor for isolation. 

I think I'll like the sound sig of the ATE as I need a bassier earphone for the gym.  If I like them, I may order a couple of backup pairs for when I inevitably ruin them with sweat.  Wish there were more reviews of "sports" IEMs in this price bracket. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #11,703 of 63,915
did someone receaved ATR yet, its going around in insane price of 5usd. is the sound similar to ate. if so i will just hit buy now.

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #11,706 of 63,915
please explain.

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #11,708 of 63,915

Do my eyes deceive me or is that the outstanding cable found on the EDse? Hmmm. A better cable might entice me to step up to the ATR depending on their signature.

OK, let me clarify on this, the outside look of the ATR cable appears to look just like the ATE cable but it is slicker and not as gummy as the ATE cable, the brass fishing weights as I call them have been replaced by little black plastic squares which makes the cable much lighter. The brass fittings at the shell are now smoothed out and not as knarly as the original ATE units, them may be just a little smaller and once again helping to make these lighter.

OOTB they are tight and seem to have a smoother and more detailed sound than my Transparent ATE's but I've not really had enough time to A/B these two but will work on it, looks wise the ATR is flat out saxy, I can tell you this I just saw a pair earlier on AliEx for under $8 and I'm still trying to figure out how they can even be breaking even on the puppies!

I also forgot to mention the ATR cable is actually thinner than the ATE cable!

Aug 18, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #11,709 of 63,915
Hey, just got my ZS3 from that ebay shop we were talking about the other day, that was selling them for 11 something USD. They arrived much faster than what I was expecting. And they are not broken. The bass sounds balanced from L to R and everything seems to work just fine.

First impressions: I suspect they are the best KZs so far. You have that WOW factor with every KZ you've tried, but with these, the WOW is just bigger. 

That memory thinhgy on the cable thoug... :S

Aug 18, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #11,711 of 63,915
Got some ATEs to tide me over while I wait for the PM6es to ship.

The level of sound quality for the price is pretty darn amazing. Surprisingly scales quite well with higher end gear. Mids and highs are great, however the low end is pretty disappointing... a muddy, bloated mess. Not too terrible with bass light content, but puts a big blemish on what would otherwise be an excellent presentation.

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #11,712 of 63,915
  Hey, just got my ZS3 from that ebay shop we were talking about the other day, that was selling them for 11 something USD. They arrived much faster than what I was expecting. And they are not broken. The bass sounds balanced from L to R and everything seems to work just fine.

First impressions: I suspect they are the best KZs so far. You have that WOW factor with every KZ you've tried, but with these, the WOW is just bigger. 

That memory thinhgy on the cable thoug... :S

I also just got the $10.99 ZS3 from that Ebay seller tonight. Going through initial testing and it just is sounding awesome, a giant step up from my other KZs...till I come across one of my test songs that hits and holds a strong low C note at 32 Hz. CRAP, there is a very obvious problem with the right earphone buzzing at that frequency. I'd recommend others test theirs too.

Interestingly, the song is Chris Whitley's "Serve You" at about the 19-20 second mark. But it only happens on my FLAC CD rip. The Youtube "high quality" version of it does not cause the problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I04-W6DGZ4

So how best to request a replacement from this Ebay seller that ships from Hong Kong?

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #11,713 of 63,915
  I also just got the $10.99 ZS3 from that Ebay seller tonight. Going through initial testing and it just is sounding awesome, a giant step up from my other KZs...till I come across one of my test songs that hits and holds a strong low C note at 32 Hz. CRAP, there is a very obvious problem with the right earphone buzzing at that frequency. I'd recommend others test theirs too.

Interestingly, the song is Chris Whitley's "Serve You" at about the 19-20 second mark. But it only happens on my FLAC CD rip. The Youtube "high quality" version of it does not cause the problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I04-W6DGZ4

So how best to request a replacement from this Ebay seller that ships from Hong Kong?

i would message them and make it clear you want to replace it, if it doesn't work out then use ebay's system for it. i have definitely done many bass heavy test tones & other test tracks and have no buzzing, so i recommend you get yours replaced. i bought mine from a trusted seller on aliexpress for $20. maybe the $10.99 ones are leftovers from the recall?

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #11,714 of 63,915
I wouldn't replace it... I've been **** so many times on eBay by this. The PayPal protection runs out so sellers most often DON'T send another package because you can't ask a refund via PayPal anymore. Best to say is that it didn't ever arrive, ask refund, and buy a new. I agree that's not how you should be doing it but I can assure you that the replies from the seller after a new sending are annoying as hell. "Please wait few more days" "I really shipped it be patient" etc though why always arrives everything the first time but not a second time?

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #11,715 of 63,915
I wouldn't replace it... I've been **** so many times on eBay by this. The PayPal protection runs out so sellers most often DON'T send another package because you can't ask a refund via PayPal anymore. Best to say is that it didn't ever arrive, ask refund, and buy a new. I agree that's not how you should be doing it but I can assure you that the replies from the seller after a new sending are annoying as hell. "Please wait few more days" "I really shipped it be patient" etc though why always arrives everything the first time but not a second time?

while it's not KZ related, paypal protection doesn't run out if ebay decides not in your favor. paypal protection is still there for the 120 or 180 days, whatever it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back