Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 14, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #10,666 of 63,884
I'm surprised at the comments on the EDR2 lacking detail. I found they had outstanding detail and clarity, and not just for a $6 iem.

Mine is fully sealed as well. The hole by the strain relief was glued shut from the factory.

My EDR2 arrived yesterday, 9 days ahead of schedule WOO HOO!!!

As for sound, I find that they are slightly vealed and the way you find them to have outstanding detail and clarity is just another fine example of how sound perception differs wildly from one person to another.

Based on memory , they perform on UE400 levels and maybe even higher. Quite a feat for something that costs five times less. 

Apr 14, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #10,668 of 63,884
@CoiL Not just you. There were a few that mentioned the detail thing. I've got 20 other KZs and found they were the clearest and most detailed of the bunch, minus the ANV which I still think is king of the crop. Take those out of the equation and the EDR2, to my ears, is pretty clearly the most technically accomplished thing KZ has released to date, made even more impressive by how absurdly cheap they (even compared to other KZs). They completely replaced any need for the ED9 and HDS1 (which I find veiled) for me. 

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #10,669 of 63,884
@CoiL
 Not just you. There were a few that mentioned the detail thing. I've got 20 other KZs and found they were the clearest and most detailed of the bunch, minus the ANV which I still think is king of the crop. Take those out of the equation and the EDR2, to my ears, is pretty clearly the most technically accomplished thing KZ has released to date, made even more impressive by how absurdly cheap they (even compared to other KZs). They completely replaced any need for the ED9 and HDS1 (which I find veiled) for me. 

Once again, I'm not complainig about details (details are good) but rather slight veil over it and soundstage layering in frontal depth.
Maybe there are production differences and QC issues (not new things and as we know your unit has port holes glued shut).
But I'm also not only one experiencing edr2 like that from comments I've read.
Anyway I'm not trying to bash edr2 down - it is pretty good in stock, but there are better ones imho.
Maybe it's also about personal sound preferences and sound perception along with gear differences...

Just my 2c about edr2 and it's totally subjective :wink:

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #10,670 of 63,884
Once again, I'm not complainig about details (details are good) but rather slight veil over it and soundstage layering in frontal depth.
Maybe there are production differences and QC issues (not new things and as we know your unit has port holes glued shut).
Anyway I'm not trying to bash edr2 down - it is pretty good in stock, but there are better ones imho.
Maybe it's also about personal sound preferences and sound perception along with gear differences...

Hmm I'll have to pull out my ED9 which hasn't been used for some time.

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #10,671 of 63,884

I understand that. Wasn't saying you were complaining. We're all just posting personal observations. That's what forums and discussion are for.

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #10,672 of 63,884
HDS3s didnt even survive burn-in (24 hours of pink noise).   Left earpiece no sounds at all.    So much for that pair - on to better things.

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #10,674 of 63,884
Oh man...that's unfortunate. Many have had issues with the HDS3 failing or being unbalanced ootb. Can add another to the list :/

Yep be careful with EDR2 as well. Whilst tip rolling the front section of the shell came off and the wires snapped in the process. I can't be mad at a $6 item tho lol.

Apr 14, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #10,675 of 63,884
Oh man...that's unfortunate. Many have had issues with the HDS3 failing or being unbalanced ootb. Can add another to the list :/

Yep be careful with EDR2 as well. Whilst tip rolling the front section of the shell came off and the wires snapped in the process. I can't be mad at a $6 item tho lol.

Whaaat? :astonished: any pics?

Apr 14, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #10,676 of 63,884
Whaaat? :astonished: any pics?

Don't have pics because I binned them the same day. It would have been fine but I was holding the back end of the nozzle while tip rolling. Apparently they're not (at least in my case) glued on at all.

Apr 14, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #10,677 of 63,884

Ouch. I haven't had any issues like that except with the Micro Ring. They forgot to glue the housing together, haha. Luckily no damage, and it was an easy fix. Ended up becoming one of my favorite iems after a horrible first impression.

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #10,678 of 63,884
  @CoiL Not just you. There were a few that mentioned the detail thing. I've got 20 other KZs and found they were the clearest and most detailed of the bunch, minus the ANV which I still think is king of the crop. Take those out of the equation and the EDR2, to my ears, is pretty clearly the most technically accomplished thing KZ has released to date, made even more impressive by how absurdly cheap they (even compared to other KZs). They completely replaced any need for the ED9 and HDS1 (which I find veiled) for me. 

I'll probably take a shot and get the EDR2's. I like what I'm hearing about them. Thanks for your quick input on them!  
smile.gif

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #10,679 of 63,884
If I was looking for headphones with good sub-bass extension, forward mids and a smooth, laid-back treble, which of these KZ models would fit the bill ?

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #10,680 of 63,884
  Hey guys, my ED3m came with a little user manual:

What's interesting is the following note on the other side of the manual:

As I understand from the note's (almost) perfect english, is that in 2015 KZ patented some sort of technology which allows the driver to "burn in" in just five minutes.
Does anyone of you who own the ED3m have perceived sound improvements after hundreds of hours of burn in? Or the initial (five minutes into listening) sound is the one you get?

The note seems to imply that this "fast" burning applies to all KZ models from january 2015. However it is widely accepted by many (but no all) on this forum that several (but not all) KZ models do benefit from 50, 100, 200 hours of burning in. 

Do you know anything about this "fast" burning?
Could there be two stages of burning in, a fast 5 minutes one, and a longer several hours one?

Thanks.

So if you believe all the hype the Chinese guys put into their advertisement's I have a little plot of land just off the Florida coast I'll sell you cheap
wink_face.gif
Plus when you plant grass seed on it grass comes up in five minutes
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back