Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 25, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #7,726 of 63,916
  ATE/ Piston 3 is a much better choice. Far more balanced and REFINED.

This tells the story. He might have got an imbalanced pair. I have 3 pairs of ED9 and 2 pairs of ED10. 1 ED9 and 1 ED10 not ordered from KZ Official store arrived slightly imbalanced. They don't even remotely compare with actual ability of proper pair. 

His opinion can be personal and there is high chance of a faulty pair. Never ever one should post opinion before determining if the pair is in good condition.

This could be my case. I have got ED10, thought they're pretty good headphones, but didn't impress me that much as for example MH1C (or maybe Piston 2) did. I thought they are just how they are... not bad but also not great.

Today, I received ED9. I tried them with the "more bassier" nozzles and damn, they are another league compared to my ED10 even they aren't burned yet and I used the straight out the box. I mean better everything, even the bass is better on them for me. The ED10 sounds so boring to me now. If it's true, that there could be worse pairs of ED10.. it would explain pretty bad build quality on the ED10s. As I already posted here few pages before, the metal backplate accidentally dropped out and now the cable is "gapping away" from one earphone, I'll have to fix it with some glue.

I got my ED10 from here: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1825606 . I also wrote them after the backplate dropped out and they gave me full refund, so I cant complain about them. They were comunicating with me really fast and well, also the delivery was pretty fast. 

The best solution would be compare my ED10 with another pair of them, but I won't buy another pair just for comparsion and risk "bad pair". I have also ordered Rock Zircons from the same shop as the ED10s. I hope Zircons will be OK.

- Also, this could be happening to me just because of the fit ED10 or whatever.. Don't take my words as 100% true. These are just my impressions so far. 

After I have received ED9, I finally understand the KZ HYPE on Head-Fi 
biggrin.gif
 I wish I understood it before the 11/11 sale, I definitely wouldn't order only ED9. In fact, I had ordered KZ ZS1 for 10 dollars and cancelled the orded at the last moment

mad.gif

Sorry for my poor english.

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #7,727 of 63,916
can some one recommend me the which is best suited for audiobooks and breathy engaging female vocals like my immortal for example I hope they are not different categories of iems

My Kz preference for audio books are the ATE and Zs1 although the Ed9 works very well as well . The ATE is very comfortable the Zs1's don't have quite the sound isolation so I don't find I get in as much trouble from my wife by ignoring her periodic questions! For female voacals ( which is a preference of mine) I still hands down prefer the Zn1's. Easy to tune no memory wire but initially the amp/eq is hard to adjust to. Next would still be the all purpose Ed9's. Lately I've been rotating between Puro iem500, NHT superbuds and Havi N3pro1 but there isn't a day that I don't use the Zn1's. Prior to these last couple of weeks ( cold and a little wet) it been the Zn1's, Ed9's and Edrse or ate.

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #7,728 of 63,916
can some one recommend me the which is best suited for audiobooks and breathy engaging female vocals like my immortal for example I hope they are not different categories of iems

One of their ads recommend the ED3 for vocals. I have them on order, will let you know if it works out.

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #7,729 of 63,916
@HiFiChris @EISENbricher that's so odd! I thought they were really open in comparison to any iem's I have. I can wear the ed10 and vacuum a whole house without hearing the vacuum once... Goes to show how much everyone's ears can differ i suppose

That may be it... I also have an ED10 and ZS1 are slightly better at isolation but ED10 aren't bad either. 
It also depends on which tips you are using as well. 

This could be my case. I have got ED10, thought they're pretty good headphones, but didn't impress me that much as for example MH1C (or maybe Piston 2) did. I thought they are just how they are... not bad but also not great.

Today, I received ED9. I tried them with the "more bassier" nozzles and damn, they are another league compared to my ED10 even they aren't burned yet and I used the straight out the box. I mean better everything, even the bass is better on them for me. The ED10 sounds so boring to me now. If it's true, that there could be worse pairs of ED10.. it would explain pretty bad build quality on the ED10s. As I already posted here few pages before, the metal backplate accidentally dropped out and now the cable is "gapping away" from one earphone, I'll have to fix it with some glue.

I got my ED10 from here: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1825606 . I also wrote them after the backplate dropped out and they gave me full refund, so I cant complain about them. They were comunicating with me really fast and well, also the delivery was pretty fast. 

The best solution would be compare my ED10 with another pair of them, but I won't buy another pair just for comparsion and risk "bad pair". I have also ordered Rock Zircons from the same shop as the ED10s. I hope Zircons will be OK.

- Also, this could be happening to me just because of the fit ED10 or whatever.. Don't take my words as 100% true. These are just my impressions so far. 

After I have received ED9, I finally understand the KZ HYPE on Head-Fi 
biggrin.gif
 I wish I understood it before the 11/11 sale, I definitely wouldn't order only ED9. In fact, I had ordered KZ ZS1 for 10 dollars and cancelled the orded at the last moment

mad.gif

Sorry for my poor english.

My old pair of ED10 suffered from same issue. It was my most fav IEM until the cable started to come out a little. It worsened its sound by a lot. In past I liked ED10 better than ED9, but the same pair of ED9 sounded much better after this tragedy! Unfortunately another pair I had as a backup (box packed) turned out to be imbalanced. 

Fortunately though new ED11 sounds much similar to what ED10 sounded. I haven't given sufficient time to it yet but will verify later.
Happy listening!

One of their ads recommend the ED3 for vocals. I have them on order, will let you know if it works out.

Yup, they do. From my personal experience though I'd favor ATE and HDS1 for vocals. 
I'd say build your opinion from majority of opinions... and if you can get 'em all :D All worth it. 

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #7,730 of 63,916
KZ are like Pokemon!

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #7,731 of 63,916
Hi guys,

I grabbed a couple of KZ ED10 a couple of weeks ago but unfortunately they suffered from channel inbalance. The left earpiece had absolutley 0 low end whilst the right one did. I got a refund but I'm still intrigued by the whole KZ hype.

So despite KZ's notoriously bad quality control I might take another chance on one of their offerings. I currently own Xiaomi Piston 2, Piston 3, ROCK Zircon and obviously that pair of F'ed up ED10. I think it's safe to say my preference is a warm and smooth sound. I like bass but don't consider myself a basshead. For examplem the ROCK Zircon out of the box sounded quite boomy to me out of the box.

I quite liked the sound of the ED10, judging on just the right earpiece. I'm quite sensitive to sibilance and piercing highs so I don't need the most sparkly in-ears of the bunch. Which other KZs should I try? And what's the best place to buy them?

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #7,733 of 63,916
Been contemplating the new ATE-S so I broke out my ATE's and put them on the burn-in station for 2 days non-stop. I think they might sound a bit less dark now. Might also be my imagination but I listened to an entire disc and they sounded very good and slightly better than I remember...

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #7,734 of 63,916
  I guess KZ has decided to confuse us with loads of options.
Take this guys...one more to the store
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/New-Original-KZ-ED9S-Super-Bowl-Tuning-Nozzles-T-Shaped-Driver-Monitoring-In-Ear-Headphones-HIFI/1825606_32548840679.html

Cool color I wish I had known bought 2 in chrome...would have liked the flat black also.

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #7,735 of 63,916
  Hi guys,

I grabbed a couple of KZ ED10 a couple of weeks ago but unfortunately they suffered from channel inbalance. The left earpiece had absolutley 0 low end whilst the right one did. I got a refund but I'm still intrigued by the whole KZ hype.

So despite KZ's notoriously bad quality control I might take another chance on one of their offerings. I currently own Xiaomi Piston 2, Piston 3, ROCK Zircon and obviously that pair of F'ed up ED10. I think it's safe to say my preference is a warm and smooth sound. I like bass but don't consider myself a basshead. For examplem the ROCK Zircon out of the box sounded quite boomy to me out of the box.

I quite liked the sound of the ED10, judging on just the right earpiece. I'm quite sensitive to sibilance and piercing highs so I don't need the most sparkly in-ears of the bunch. Which other KZs should I try? And what's the best place to buy them?

Go with either the ATEs or the ANVs (if you can find them). Also, you can cut back the bass on the Zircons by switching to a narrow bore tip.

I've had good luck with Shenzhen HCkexin Electronic Technology Co., Ltd. and KZ Earphone Wholesale Shopping Center

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #7,736 of 63,916
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/New-Original-KZ-ED9S-Super-Bowl-Tuning-Nozzles-T-Shaped-Driver-Monitoring-In-Ear-Headphones-HIFI/1825606_32548840679.html

These look really nice, but I don't have two left ears, so I guess I'll have to pass.
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #7,737 of 63,916

Ahah! Thats cool, and my ED9 has an imbalance somewhere on the left side, sounds like it hasn't sealed when I use the brass nozzles - but ONLY the brass nozzles, golds are fine 
confused.gif

Not only that, I had to remove the mesh from my ATE's because one side didn't close. So I'm not sure they sound quite right either. Good excuse to put both these new 's' versions in the cart...

Hi guys,

I'd actually say a Micro Ring if you can find one for a decent price, but they tend to be $40 these days - I only have it cos a store discounted them to $16 one day. Otherwise ZS1 is warm and smooth but very bassy, not boomy though. ED9 might be your best bet if you liked how ED10 sounded, its a little less bassy and smoother too. 

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #7,738 of 63,916
Ahah! Thats cool, and my ED9 has an imbalance somewhere on the left side, sounds like it hasn't sealed when I use the brass nozzles - but ONLY the brass nozzles, golds are fine :confused:  

Not only that, I had to remove the mesh from my ATE's because one side didn't close. So I'm not sure they sound quite right either. Good excuse to put both these new 's' versions in the cart...

I'd actually say a Micro Ring if you can find one for a decent price, but they tend to be $40 these days - I only have it cos a store discounted them to $16 one day. Otherwise ZS1 is warm and smooth but very bassy, not boomy though. ED9 might be your best bet if you liked how ED10 sounded, its a little less bassy and smoother too. 

Check if the vent holes are completely closed inside the nozzles.

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #7,739 of 63,916

Go with either the ATEs or the ANVs (if you can find them). Also, you can cut back the bass on the Zircons by switching to a narrow bore tip.

I've had good luck with Shenzhen HCkexin Electronic Technology Co., Ltd. and KZ Earphone Wholesale Shopping Center

Thanks. How about the new ATE S?

Thanks. Micro Ring seems hard to find. ZS1 looks like a difficult fit. 

How about the HDS1? I'd be open to a more neutral IEM if it's not too sparkly in the highs.
Also, the ED11 looks the same like the ED10. What are the main differences?

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #7,740 of 63,916
  Dude, cmon... One thread was already locked. 

It doesnt matter who started what, be the bigger man and just let it die. There's no point squabbling like girls.

Yeah you're right...

Oh man, I just got ATE Youth Version and ED9 Youth Version today...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back