Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 28, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #4,081 of 63,906
Yeah, it might also work. Haven`t tried yet.

May 28, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #4,082 of 63,906
My ED9 order has arrived in San Fran and I'm a matter of days away from having a listen to them - can't wait! I still have no clue where my ATEs are, though I did order them at the same time the two were from separate sellers.

May 28, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #4,083 of 63,906
lol the modding attempts are going crazier day by day. The seek for better sound is unending. Take care guys while opening body and doing stuff.

Quote:

If your ear canals are large enough, put ED9 (L-size) eartips on ATE and listen to this song.  Hope you will like it. This thing sounds really hi-end. 

Yup my ear canals are large and most of the times I find L ear tips comfy. I'd definitely try that combination. It shouldn't be long till I receive my ATE (Sliver). It's already in my country. 

May 28, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #4,084 of 63,906
  LOL, I`m actually listening to my ATE without back covers as I`m writing and it sounds great!
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

Maybe I`m imaging things atm but sort of "hollowness" (maybe caused by plastic housing?) has lifted from ATE listening this way. 
Anyway - modding madness begins!
tongue.gif

As @CoiL suggest, i try listening to my ATE without back covers too. Hmmm... it sounds great!
beerchug.gif
  Thanks for your advice. 

May 28, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #4,086 of 63,906
  If anyone wanna open back covers of your ATE, here is how I did it. 

Gently twist it... slowly 

Here it is.... very easy

Can fill out the space with silicon sealent glue. It'll hold the assembly together and probably damp all the case vibrations too!

May 28, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #4,088 of 63,906
They will close/open nicely without any glue needed and I also don`t recommend filling empty space with silicone etc. - soundstage will be lost.
Last night listening to ATE in my bed I decided to pull off backplates while listening and I succeeded. Definitely without backplates or with fully open design ATE sounds better. And LOL, I fell asleep like that enjoying music :D 
I`m so itching to mod them already with wooden backplates (open with metal grills) but can`t do it till I receive my mmcx connectors and replacement cables.

May 28, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #4,089 of 63,906
Hm could we possibly drill a 6mm or so hole that's aligned to the back of the DD? Would that accomplish the same effect?

May 28, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #4,090 of 63,906
Probably Yes. Heh, lol, I will try it right away because drilling bench is 2m from me. Will report back soon :wink:

Edit: Mod news!

Drilled 7mm hole right above driver... it works! Go for it! You can even glue somekind of grill-fabric inside. Will do it also right away.
Reporting back with pics soon :wink:

Dammit! I left those golden cup-grills home. Should have measured diameter and put those "into" holes with little glue from inside!
That would also look awesome! I would call it GG (golden grill) mod or just grill-mod. But name it whatever You want guys... just recommending to do this hole-mod
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #4,091 of 63,906
  Probably Yes. Heh, lol, I will try it right away because drilling bench is 2m from me. Will report back soon :wink:

Edit: Mod news!

Drilled 7mm hole right above driver... it works! Go for it! You can even glue somekind of grill-fabric inside. Will do it also right away.
Reporting back with pics soon :wink:

Dammit! I left those golden cup-grills home. Should have measured diameter and put those "into" holes with little glue from inside!
That would also look awesome! I would call it GG (golden grill) mod or just grill-mod. But name it whatever You want guys... just recommending to do this hole-mod
biggrin.gif

Nice find!! Dammit I just clicked buy for the ATE. 

Edit: Hm this mod will be even easier on my clear one...

May 28, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #4,092 of 63,906
Yeah, probably. I also want translucent version now but there seems to be no discount offers atm.

May 28, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #4,093 of 63,906
Revisiting back to the ED8m (Red) after listening much to ED9. I'd say bass quality on ED8m is better than ED9 using any of the filters. ED8m bass has better timbre, sounds more organic and especially the mid bass is a pleasure to listen to. Though, my Red ED8m required much burn in period to reach this level. Earlier the bass was overpowering and a little muddy. ED8m are beasts for genres like Pop and EDM.

May 28, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #4,094 of 63,906
I'd say bass quality on ED8m is better than ED9 using any of the filters. ED8m bass has better timbre, sounds more organic and especially the mid bass is a pleasure to listen to.

You just have to find right amount of right filter material to get bass sound right with ED9 brass nozzles. Well it is already quite "right" sounding with stock brass filter imo but with foam inserts mismatch it can lose microdetails and timbre inside it. Though, I can only talk for myself and my source gear. With warmer sounding DAP/Amp/DAC it can be harder to get ED9 "right" with brass nozzles + foam.
And I haven`t tried ED8m (and probably wont), so You could be right too.

"Correctly" modded ED9 and ATE will be very hard to beat in this budget IEM category for long time... until KZ releases something better (dual BA maybe) :D

IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back