Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 7, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #2,611 of 64,402
I've had EDSE (which is now gone), GR and DT3 which I absolutely price as backup iems, I have a wonder though, is there any other brand in the market producing something similar? As in balanced iem at cheap price? Most I see 'affordable' ones are priced at least $30 give or take.

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #2,612 of 64,402
I've had EDSE (which is now gone), GR and DT3 which I absolutely price as backup iems, I have a wonder though, is there any other brand in the market producing something similar? As in balanced iem at cheap price? Most I see 'affordable' ones are priced at least $30 give or take.

KZ R1 and Micro Ring or Soundmagic E10 or E30 ( 30$ above)

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #2,613 of 64,402

I had tried the same search but found nothing except SoundSoul S-018. I'll receive it pretty soon but it's been lauded by many on head-fi.
Try it for sure if you're in UK or US.

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #2,614 of 64,402

I have the soundmagic E10 and they have won What hifi awards for 2 or 3 years running. They are a great little IEM. 

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #2,615 of 64,402
  Cool! Post your impressions. As per my impressions they are bassy. But using eq adjust it works good.
Also they sounded fantastic on a colder source (My secondary phone's output is kinda cold. I primarily use my main phone's output, which is warmish)

Per your request, here's a photo:

Positives
1. Cable like the EDSE
2. Angle jack.
3. Seem to be built well with decent strain relief.

Negatives
HEAVY.  A slingshot with these ear pieces could do some damage!  They are quite long and stick out of the ears.  My ears are large so it really isn't an issue.  Could be for some.

I'm not going to go into too many details on the sound.  Suffice to say, I'm not a fan of the sound signature.  The bass is muddy and loose as previously stated (EQ does help somewhat).  Both the mids and treble are lacking in detail and energy.  Mids are also recessed.  I tried different tips (including JVC spiral dots) and sources with the same results.  For my personal tastes, the EDSE remains at the top of the KZ line for me.  They all pale in comparison though to my KC06As and Kef M200s (which is no surprise considering the price differences).

I'll be donating these one of my kids (who don't own slingshots).  Glad they only cost $7. 

This is all my humble opinion.  Others may feel differently.

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #2,616 of 64,402

Definitely MEP-933! I love mine.
Review: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/monoprice-8320-mep-933/
Thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/580769/the-monoprice-mp9927-pg-208-mp8320-mep-933-the-7-11-club
Shop: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=9927

Unfortunately price of shipping overseas is unacceptable.
Still somehow got mine in PL for ~$9, but I still see it as a miracle.

Difficult to get used to the size, cable is really easy to break, but the sound is great.

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #2,617 of 64,402

Per your request, here's a photo:

Positives
1. Cable like the EDSE
2. Angle jack.
3. Seem to be built well with decent strain relief.

Negatives
HEAVY.  A slingshot with these ear pieces could do some damage!  They are quite long and stick out of the ears.  My ears are large so it really isn't an issue.  Could be for some.

I'm not going to go into too many details on the sound.  Suffice to say, I'm not a fan of the sound signature.  The bass is muddy and loose as previously stated (EQ does help somewhat).  Both the mids and treble are lacking in detail and energy.  Mids are also recessed.  I tried different tips (including JVC spiral dots) and sources with the same results.  For my personal tastes, the EDSE remains at the top of the KZ line for me.  They all pale in comparison though to my KC06As and Kef M200s (which is no surprise considering the price differences).

I'll be donating these one of my kids (who don't own slingshots).  Glad they only cost $7. 

This is all my humble opinion.  Others may feel differently.

Your impressions are in line with the general opinion, so don't worry about the impressions being personal. Of course, EDSE still beat these any day. I'll also be gifting mine to friend, at least these look unique and costly, because of metal build.

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #2,618 of 64,402
Your impressions are in line with the general opinion, so don't worry about the impressions being personal. Of course, EDSE still beat these any day. I'll also be gifting mine to friend, at least these look unique and costly, because of metal build.

No problem. I always like to state that. You know the old saying... "one man's junk is another man's treasure". Anyway, I'm still blown away on the $50 deal I got for the Kef M200s. I had to send them back for replacement due to a defect in one of the ear pieces. Anxiously awaiting a replacement now. They sound better than any IEM I have ever heard. Period.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #2,620 of 64,402
I just received the EDSE and GR a few days ago. I have to say I'm disappointed.

GR:
Somehow I missed the whole hole thing with these. I ordered them last month so by then the pics and descriptions had been changed to match the new "holeless" filter design, but that just leaves me wondering why the change was made. Was the filter redesigned to no longer need the holes to work properly? (According to feedback here the new holeless filter sounds bad). Was it an error then? Maybe the company used a different manufacturer for a new batch and forgot to spec the hole with them, or something like that. So is KZ just selling basically a defective product then? Anyway, bottom line is that they sound not so good to me.

EDSE:
I know that they seemed to get a lot of positive feedback in this thread, but to my ears the bass is just too much. At moderate/high volumes, the bass is just too loud compared to the mids and highs. Tried many different tips from other iem's I own, including Comply 400 medium TS. Also, the cable is the most tangle prone I have experienced, despite it's seeming quality. It's the first cable I've had that would not stay put over ear, which is my preferred style of wear.

I only paid about $20 for both so at least there is that! But I only paid $7.50 for the Philips SHE3590, and $14.50 for the Nuforce NE-600X, and they both seem superior to me. (Received those in a few days from Amazon as opposed to a few weeks for the KZ iems).

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #2,621 of 64,402
I just received the EDSE and GR a few days ago. I have to say I'm disappointed.

GR:
Somehow I missed the whole hole thing with these. I ordered them last month so by then the pics and descriptions had been changed to match the new "holeless" filter design, but that just leaves me wondering why the change was made. Was the filter redesigned to no longer need the holes to work properly? (According to feedback here the new holeless filter sounds bad). Was it an error then? Maybe the company used a different manufacturer for a new batch and forgot to spec the hole with them, or something like that. So is KZ just selling basically a defective product then? Anyway, bottom line is that they sound not so good to me.

EDSE:
I know that they seemed to get a lot of positive feedback in this thread, but to my ears the bass is just too much. At moderate/high volumes, the bass is just too loud compared to the mids and highs. Tried many different tips from other iem's I own, including Comply 400 medium TS. Also, the cable is the most tangle prone I have experienced, despite it's seeming quality. It's the first cable I've had that would not stay put over ear, which is my preferred style of wear.

I only paid about $20 for both so at least there is that! But I only paid $7.50 for the Philips SHE3590, and $14.50 for the Nuforce NE-600X, and they both seem superior to me. (Received those in a few days from Amazon as opposed to a few weeks for the KZ iems).

Pretty sure that EDSE wasn't defective? Because bass quantity is more but not overwhelming and it's not muddy on edse. Or simply your sound signature is far from what EDSE has to offer. Also cable isn't bad, it doesn't tangle and doesn't have much memory either. I use ear guide to use my edse around the ear and it works perfect that way.
Also I disagree that she3590 sounds better than edse. I have both and edse blows the Philips away.

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #2,622 of 64,402
Pretty sure that EDSE wasn't defective? Because bass quantity is more but not overwhelming and it's not muddy on edse. Or simply your sound signature is far from what EDSE has to offer. Also cable isn't bad, it doesn't tangle and doesn't have much memory either. I use ear guide to use my edse around the ear and it works perfect that way.
Also I disagree that she3590 sounds better than edse. I have both and edse blows the Philips away.

Well, it may be the music I listen to - hard rock/metal. I may experiment with a few more tips. But I swear that cable tangles on me more than the others, although the Seinheiser CX280 tangles easily too...

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #2,623 of 64,402
Well, it may be the music I listen to - hard rock/metal. I may experiment with a few more tips. But I swear that cable tangles on me more than the others, although the Seinheiser CX280 tangles easily too...

I agree, EDSE aren't the best for metal. It may sound harsh. My primary music is EDM and kpop for now and EDSE are perfect for that job.
Yeah... I have CX300 and feel the same. Still it's much better, I guess you haven't seen absolutely horrible cables yet. Even senn cable feels much better when compared to klipsch and soundsoul cables.

Feb 10, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #2,624 of 64,402
I love EDSE's cable. Also wearing it over-the-ear is very comfy for me (except the microphone is behind your ear in that case).
If you want tangle-prone, try nylon sheeted Monoprice from my sig. Just crazy.

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #2,625 of 64,402
I love EDSE's cable. Also wearing it over-the-ear is very comfy for me (except the microphone is behind your ear in that case).
If you want tangle-prone, try nylon sheeted Monoprice from my sig. Just crazy.
+1

The EDSE cable is one of the best cables I've ever come across in any price range, let alone the fact that they are dirt cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back