Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 26, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #1,666 of 63,940
Gave the LPS 200+ hours of burn in.

Some quick note:
1. Cable for mobile use is bunk. Sound becomes severely degraded. Audio only cable is solid.

2. Build seems nice. I wish the cups were slightly tilted to sit on the ears more flush. Certain angles work, however.

3. Sound is about what I expected: overkill bass, recessed Mids, rolled off highs with a few peaks.

4. A good deal overall as I can use the case for my Senngrado.

5. Disassembly is quite easy. Tried a few mods with the cup vents to clean up the bass. It was mildly successful, but needs more trials.

Here are a few pictures I took quickly during Disassembly.

I forgot to take a picture of the outside shield removed, but there are only one set of vents on the bottom of the cup. The top set on the shield is just for style.

Everything comes apart and goes back together easily. Just avoid stripping any screws with over tightening.

Hopefully someone else is interested and comes up with a few tweaks. I'll continue playing around with a few ideas but have limited time.

Nov 26, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #1,667 of 63,940
3. Sound is about what I expected: overkill bass, recessed Mids, rolled off highs with a few peaks.

LOL, good description.
I don`t know if it`s because they`re more comfortable, but found them to be on pair with my K518, with little less bass.
If you reduce the bass, maybe the treble roll-off would be easier to hear?

Nov 27, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #1,669 of 63,940
Hi guys, need some suggestion here

I already have GR Spartacus with hole on the nozzle and it sounds awesome, looking for other KZ
I'm currently looking for somewhat warm signature for Jazz like Coltrane, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Sinatra, Art Blakey and such (but emphasizing on woman vocals like Ella)

thinking about buying R3 or DT3, what's your suggestion?

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #1,670 of 63,940
I'm sure Kamakahah knows, but for others, the mobile cable will give degraded sound when used with a PC. For my V-Moda XS the solution is to reverse the cable - mic closer to the PC. 

Quote:
Gave the LPS 200+ hours of burn in.

Some quick note:
1. Cable for mobile use is bunk. Sound becomes severely degraded. Audio only cable is solid...

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #1,671 of 63,940
  Hi guys, need some suggestion here

I already have GR Spartacus with hole on the nozzle and it sounds awesome, looking for other KZ
I'm currently looking for somewhat warm signature for Jazz like Coltrane, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Sinatra, Art Blakey and such (but emphasizing on woman vocals like Ella)

thinking about buying R3 or DT3, what's your suggestion?

DT3 or EDSE. I don't like the R3 much. It had a lot of potential but just doesn't sound very good.

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #1,672 of 63,940

I probably should have mentioned it, but the thought of someone using the mobile cable on their computer actually never crossed my mind.

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #1,673 of 63,940
I probably should have mentioned it, but the thought of someone using the mobile cable on their computer actually never crossed my mind.

With the V-Moda XS only a "mobile cable" is included. I had to do a bit of searching to figure out that reversing the cable would solve the problem.

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #1,674 of 63,940
With the V-Moda XS only a "mobile cable" is included. I had to do a bit of searching to figure out that reversing the cable would solve the problem.

That's good information to know. I'm surprised they didn't include their audio only cable with that can.

Nov 28, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #1,676 of 63,940
Been lurking here a while... I'd like to thank everyone who participated in this thread.  I'd been looking for throwaways for a long time, given how flimsy my VSDS1's cable is.  Started to really dislike the Brainwavz M1 as being totally devoid of any kind of treble sparkle.

Ordered the GR (not here yet, though it's the first I ordered, ED3, ES and EDSE.

So far, I really prefer the ES.  The ED3 is decent but nothing special.  The EDSE is a bit clearer but for some reason it just doesn't do much for me (I should try again, I think it's partly because for some reason they don't fit in my ears all that well... something about the housing being smaller somehow makes it worse).  Got the GR and ED3 at 7$, the ES and EDSE (package deal at 13$ for both)

But the ES I found very, very good for 7$.  Sibilant as heck, but well, the VSD1S is pretty sibilant too, so that never bugged me much.  The signature is right up my alley.  Isolation is pretty good for a semi-open, and it made commuting in the subway very tolerable.

And the cable and housing quality is awesome.  Plus, the text on the box is just hilarious!  And on the housings--ES the ACME, that's really bizarre!

Postman now knows me personally from having to sign all those small packages from China because, of course, they all got shipped separately
bigsmile_face.gif

Again, thank you all for making this little-known brand somewhat better known.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #1,678 of 63,940
Finally got a better seal on the EDSE, with the VSonic GR07 stock tips of all things...

I like them a lot better now.  Too tired to do a detailed comparison, but now I find them as engaging as the ES.  Now I have to figure out which I like best, but that's a good problem to have...

Dec 1, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #1,679 of 63,940
  Ira Delphic, what tips do you use with the ES?  

I find the ES and the SE to have a somewhat agressive treble up front, especially without any burn in (and/or brain adjustment), but after a little time, it gets better.  And I don't really use stock tips.   I am not sure I found the right tips yet for me vs ES and SE.  They are both really good iems for the price.  I find the cable superior on these than the DT3, for example, but imaging varies so much.  I find the ES breathes more (i wouldn't be able to put it in technical terms), and the SE to be more fun and in your face.  The best tips I used on them up to now are the ones that came with the Ostry KC06A, with a red filter (that seem to cut the treble a bit).  But I am not done with the tip rolling...

Just the stock tips but I have some cheap Chinese foam tips on the way so will try those! 

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #1,680 of 63,940
I understand you.  My feelings have changed about these and switching between my few iems, I finally decided to part with my Kz ES.  I made a (girl) friend of mine very happy though.  Compared to her previous crappy earphones, she was in heaven.
I kept, for now, the KZ ED as they are less sharp on the highs, and more fun overall.  They top my KZ trio now, just over the KZ DT3, and above the KZ GR.  I intend to sell my KZ GR (i have the one with the holes in the filter).  They are good, but I won't use them.
I am waiting for new stuff soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back