Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 18, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #1,547 of 64,373
  Sad confession to make.

The more I listen to my KZ DT5PTE, the worse it sounds. I keep getting considerable driver flex every time I adjust them, and they are becoming more and more muffled/bassy sounding. The were great first day but the more I use them, the more and more the bass drowns everything out. I thought maybe it was my ears, but comparing them to other iems, they are definitely changing for the worse, sad to say, as out of the box they were very promising.

Don't be sad, that's a good news for me because this mean I can scratch it off from my "To buy" list. 
biggrin.gif
 Frankly I don't like the look of  DT5. It somehow reminds me of those boxer pants. 

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #1,548 of 64,373
  Please Im planning on buying a pair for Christmas. Which are the best for clasiscal music? ED1/ED2/ED special edition.......? How are they compared to the Monoprice 8320s and TTPODs?

I only have EDSE, GR, ES, DT3 and ANV so I can't give a complete answer but If I were to listen to string quartet classics using one of those, KZ GR would be my choice.  IMHO, TTPOD is a class higher than all the KZ models I have but unfortunately I have a comfort issue with TTPOD so it has become one of the least loved iems in my collection.

Just be aware though, that someone got a bad unit of KZ GR not long ago, but statistically, GR seems to fare quite good here.

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #1,549 of 64,373
Thanks a lot. The GRs are priced the same as the TTPODs so that'll be easy then I guess... but, for other readers, how do thel here well loved EDSEs compare to the TTPODs -and for classical music?

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #1,551 of 64,373
KZ DT3 - Fantastic Plastic!

My DT3 arrived a half hour ago and I'm pleased to report that the sonic properties are very decent! I sampled a range of music - MGMT - Alien Days,  Actress R.I.P, Caribou - Our Love, Paganini Violin Concerto no 1 in D major ...

The sound is as good if not better than Xiaomi Pistons. The bass is definitely tighter and better defined. I wasn't expecting much after being disappointed with the sound of the KZ ES.

The DT3's are lightweight, silver colored plastic. The cable is about what you'd find in low end ear buds - thin and rubber material. The ES on the other hand are hefty, made of some kind of metal, with thick plastic/rubber cord. With this model it appears that KZ paid more attention providing good sound and put their money into higher quality drivers!

I purchased from a seller on Aliexpress seller - paid $12.64. I must have missed it but retail package was not included, but was available for an extra $3. I noticed that on the invoice before the IEM's  arrived in the mail. Included with the DT3 is 3 sets of rubber tips and a plastic shirt clip enclosed in a tiny zip-lock bag,  bubble wrap and tightly taped. That's fine by me. I really didn't need that KZ cardboard box, lol.

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #1,552 of 64,373
Got my KZ DT3 about 10 days ago and out of the box, with stock tips, I was far from impressed.  Lot of bass.  Burned them in for a few hours, no real remarkable change.

I tried them back yesterday evening, and tried some tip change.  Wow!  With the Comply T-400, I don't know what happens but the bass still kicks (way less), but now I get a real nice warm sound with enough present mids and cool slightly rolled off treble.  Very pleasand listening and awesome for most style I have on my ipod.

I add Fiio E5 and it's even better.  Interesting.

DT3 will now be just on top of my list for KZ.  Followed by KZ ES and SE (these are different, tip dependent) from which I cannot say which one is better.  KZ GR fall behind.

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #1,554 of 64,373
The thing I like about the dt3 is the treble. It sounds very high end. The bass and warm/soft sound is complemented by that awesome treble response

Yes the treble is very nice. The bass was a bit too much emphasis for the classical music that I tested them with. But I haven't changed EQ settings yet. 

Interesting DynamikeB (and others) like the ES. I doubt there are KZ ES fakes out there so I assume I just got a lemon. I doubt KZ  does a QC test on each IEM off the production line, lol!

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #1,555 of 64,373
Yes the treble is very nice. The bass was a bit too much emphasis for the classical music that I tested them with. But I haven't changed EQ settings yet. 

Interesting DynamikeB (and others) like the ES. I doubt there are KZ ES fakes out there so I assume I just got a lemon. I doubt KZ  does a QC test on each IEM off the production line, lol!
I think that has to do with signature preference. KZ es is just a flat out brighter sound that many people who are sensitive to sharper highs won't enjoy as much. That and the QC

If you like the dt3 and dislike the es I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I strongly recommend the kzedse. It's sound is somewhere between the dt3 and ES, like a love child of the two.

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #1,556 of 64,373
I think that has to do with signature preference. KZ es is just a flat out brighter sound that many people who are sensitive to sharper highs won't enjoy as much. That and the QC

If you like the dt3 and dislike the es I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I strongly recommend the kzedse. It's sound is somewhere between the dt3 and ES, like a love child of the two.

I don't want to beat a dead horse (or an $8 IEM's!) but my copy of ES have horrible treble. In fact they are un-listenable. I did a test, in an earlier post - my gf confirmed (with a blind test because she doesn't know what a KZ is) that my copy of ES really sucked. So for those of you considering ES - don't factor in my findings. I doubt representative.

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #1,557 of 64,373
Ira Delphic, what tips do you use with the ES?  

I find the ES and the SE to have a somewhat agressive treble up front, especially without any burn in (and/or brain adjustment), but after a little time, it gets better.  And I don't really use stock tips.   I am not sure I found the right tips yet for me vs ES and SE.  They are both really good iems for the price.  I find the cable superior on these than the DT3, for example, but imaging varies so much.  I find the ES breathes more (i wouldn't be able to put it in technical terms), and the SE to be more fun and in your face.  The best tips I used on them up to now are the ones that came with the Ostry KC06A, with a red filter (that seem to cut the treble a bit).  But I am not done with the tip rolling...

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #1,558 of 64,373
  Ira Delphic, what tips do you use with the ES?  

I find the ES and the SE to have a somewhat agressive treble up front, especially without any burn in (and/or brain adjustment), but after a little time, it gets better.  And I don't really use stock tips.   I am not sure I found the right tips yet for me vs ES and SE.  They are both really good iems for the price.  I find the cable superior on these than the DT3, for example, but imaging varies so much.  I find the ES breathes more (i wouldn't be able to put it in technical terms), and the SE to be more fun and in your face.  The best tips I used on them up to now are the ones that came with the Ostry KC06A, with a red filter (that seem to cut the treble a bit).  But I am not done with the tip rolling...

I agree that after several hours of burn in the treble does settle down and resolution improves.

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #1,559 of 64,373

The KZ-EDSE are an incredible little gem. Soundstage and separation are really good with life-like vocals. I can't stress enough to say that they remind me of the dgs100 in the form of a dynamic diaphragm signature way -if that makes sense.

Now with the KZ-ES, best bet is to use the Sidy foam tips -eliminates the splashy treble and creates a non-fatiguing great signature. 

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #1,560 of 64,373
  The build quality on the KZ ANV is breathtaking, seriously. It's the most well built IEM I have, honest. The problem is that the sound is meh, and there's other KZ stuff that is way better than these.

Hey Hisoundfi. Please try to cover the small vents on the plastic faceplate, near the tip, with a small piece of sticky tape/scotch and let us know if you notice any improvement. I had a feeling that due to the diameter of the driver, these would be capable of "some" bass, but never expected that much. They just need to become sealed; the only downside to this is that the driver would flex. With this "mod", they're easily the most powerful iems I own in terms of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back