Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 24, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #1,082 of 64,402
My KZ ES now has well over 200 hours. I think I can assess it now. The boomy bass from whence it was still a virgin has now mellowed down. Also, most of the veil in the mids has gone. I'm also very happy that the KZs, both my ES and EDSE, are very receptive to being equalized. I could raise any portion of the spectrum by over 10 dB and there's virtually no distortion.

Anyway, in addition to the burn-in, I've also had plenty of time to find the best EQ setting for my ES. I've actually managed to find a setting that makes it sound almost exactly like my EQ'ed SHE3580. It's now very balanced in addition to its neutral sound signature. There are some differences though (my EQ'ed ES vs EQ'ed SHE3580):

- There is better extension on the ES compared to the SHE3580. The bass digs deeper and the highs extend farther without getting sibilant. The bass quality on the ES is arguably better imo. It can sound woofer-like without getting muddy. The SHE3580 can't do woofer-like bass, although it's clean.
- The upper mids on the ES are still slightly veiled, even with all the burn-in and my EQ settings. The mids in general are very pleasant though. Male vocals on the ES are noticeably richer compared to the SHE3580.
- Much better decay on the ES. Notes from a synth or bass guitar are delightful. 
- Better detail retrieval on the ES from lows to mids. Better detail retrieval on the SHE3580 on highs.
- Better instrument imaging on the ES. Instruments in general sounds crisper and have more bite. 

Do note that I'm comparing these with my custom EQ settings that's geared for a more balanced sound. However, the native sound of both the ES and SHE3580 are pretty similar, although the ES is a bit more of a shallow U-shape rather than V-shaped. Likewise, the EQ settings I used for both don't vary too much from each other. The ES just needed a steeper increase in the 500 Hz to 2 Khz region compared to the settings I use on the SHE3580.

Personally, I find the ES to be a superior version of the SHE3590 in terms of sound. I didn't feel that way at first, but after all that burn-in time and finally finding a comparable EQ setting, I can safely say they're the better IEM. I'd describe them as "a more intimate, soulful version of the SHE3580/3590". They have approximately the same soundstage, with the ES everything feels closer and more in your face whilst maintaining their respective positions. I just wish they had better detail retrieval on highs. All in all though, I can finally retire my 3 year old SHE3580 and replace it with the ES as my daily driver.

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #1,083 of 64,402
  Anyone chose the EMS-shopping option and got EMS? I opted for EMS, but just got regular airmail. Regular registered airmail - tracking number starting with R.

Mine has been sitting at a Chinese airport hub for 4 weeks now... Thinking maybe it is better to take the "Sweden Post" next time.

Mine was shipped out on 2014-10-08, last update on ChinaPost's site was 2014-10-14 with 出口总包互封开拆.
frown.gif
Takes over 2 weeks to inspect some earphones?

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #1,084 of 64,402
My KZ ES now has well over 200 hours. I think I can assess it now. The boomy bass from whence it was still a virgin has now mellowed down. Also, most of the veil in the mids has gone. I'm also very happy that the KZs, both my ES and EDSE, are very receptive to being equalized. I could raise any portion of the spectrum by over 10 dB and there's virtually no distortion.

Anyway, in addition to the burn-in, I've also had plenty of time to find the best EQ setting for my ES. I've actually managed to find a setting that makes it sound almost exactly like my EQ'ed SHE3580. It's now very balanced in addition to its neutral sound signature. There are some differences though (my EQ'ed ES vs EQ'ed SHE3580):

- There is better extension on the ES compared to the SHE3580. The bass digs deeper and the highs extend farther without getting sibilant. The bass quality on the ES is arguably better imo. It can sound woofer-like without getting muddy. The SHE3580 can't do woofer-like bass, although it's clean.

- The upper mids on the ES are still slightly veiled, even with all the burn-in and my EQ settings. The mids in general are very pleasant though. Male vocals on the ES are noticeably richer compared to the SHE3580.

- Much better decay on the ES. Notes from a synth or bass guitar are delightful. 

- Better detail retrieval on the ES from lows to mids. Better detail retrieval on the SHE3580 on highs.

- Better instrument imaging on the ES. Instruments in general sounds crisper and have more bite. 

Do note that I'm comparing these with my custom EQ settings that's geared for a more balanced sound. However, the native sound of both the ES and SHE3580 are pretty similar, although the ES is a bit more of a shallow U-shape rather than V-shaped. Likewise, the EQ settings I used for both don't vary too much from each other. The ES just needed a steeper increase in the 500 Hz to 2 Khz region compared to the settings I use on the SHE3580.

Personally, I find the ES to be a superior version of the SHE3590 in terms of sound. I didn't feel that way at first, but after all that burn-in time and finally finding a comparable EQ setting, I can safely say they're the better IEM. I'd describe them as "a more intimate, soulful version of the SHE3580/3590". They have approximately the same soundstage, with the ES everything feels closer and more in your face whilst maintaining their respective positions. I just wish they had better detail retrieval on highs. All in all though, I can finally retire my 3 year old SHE3580 and replace it with the ES as my daily driver.

What a fantastic review. You should know that I got my first pair of KZs because of you, then got another 5 pairs and even though I've received none of them yet, I'm even more pumped now. Thanks!

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #1,085 of 64,402
I'm tempted by the KZ-Platinum LE, but as always I'm confused about KZ models and prices on aliexpress.

These IEMs are going for $25.2, but if you buy them in bundle with KZ-EDSE... you pay $24.22, for both sets !!!
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Package-kz-Platinum-Limited-Edition-and-kz-ed-Special-Edition-wire-headset-music-earphone-headset-phone/1380688_32215073455.html
(and of course, the KZ-EDSE in this bundle is exactly the same model as KZ-ED2).

But if you look at the KZ-DT5 (temporarily priced at $88, but going for $16 on taobao), they seems exactly the same model as the Platinum LE:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/KZ-DT5-music-headset-phone-headset-Ear-Headphones-HiFi-headphones-Andrews-universal-headset/1380688_32218709747.html
DT5's reviews on Taobao seems quite good (Google translator based), but mainly focused on the heavy bass aspect of this IEM. And no sign of the "Platinum Edition" on Taobao.

Is the offer of KZ headphnes less confusing ? Probably not, as next to the newly released KZ-LPS, they just listed the KZ-LPT:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/gk-lpt-music-earphone-phone-headset-HIFI-sound-headphones-bass-headset-phone-headset/1380688_32218703053.html
Which, of course, looks the same (including tech specs) as KZ-LPS

blink.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Despite all of this, I still love KZ and have LPS on my way. And as everybody said: please bring on a dual driver IEM 
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #1,086 of 64,402
The speed at which they come out with new IEMs and headphones is just insane and confusing. They still tend to stick to the same tuning and design though. Looks like they just release every fine tuning on the way to their desired earphones based on the same tuning and design philosophy. Wish they'd release something different though. But impressive for the price nonetheless.

Oct 25, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #1,090 of 64,402
DT5 looks to be the same as the Platinum Edition 
LPT looks the same as the LPS. Unsure of that. Someone would need to verify both of these.

The LPS does come with that case and cable though. People have posted pics on the taobao store, and have praised it so far. They say the quality is better than the previous LPs.

Oct 25, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #1,094 of 64,402
Looks like the difference between DT5 and PLE could be the back vent? Pictures of the PLE are bad but I don't see it. And it is clear in DT5.

And from the customer pictures of LPS it looks like it has the B/W fabric "shoe lace" cable, not the black one in the official pictures. Case looks fab. 

Oct 25, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #1,095 of 64,402
DT3 is in. It's a well done bass cannon. Vocals come through quite clearly, but overall it can get congested on complicated passages like rock music.

Still much better than what $10 can buy you normally. Only 10 min in.

--
30 min in, and it's an upgrade over the EDSE minus the balanced plug. Bass is a bit more controlled but still needs some taming, vocals more clear, treble slightly more extended. Treble and detail lovers won't be pleased.

These would be more in line with a Beats IEM equivalent for the gym for a fun EDM/pop sound, but not priced absurdly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back