Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 3, 2014 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63,836

bhazard

Headphoneus Supremus
I started this thread back in 2014. I was very new in my quest for IEMs out of China (Aliexpress, Taobao). I was finding what appeared to be great tech and deals mostly unknown outside of China.

KZ (A1 I think?) was one of the first sets I received at a very low price and I thought, "Wow! This sounds great for $12". They went from unknown to widely known in a few short years, and Chinese audio went from "uncertain" to well respected.

KZ became far bigger than any of us ever imagined back in 2014, and here we are enjoying the products almost a decade later.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 63,836
Nice initiative, since I got the a1's today I'll join the party
smily_headphones1.gif

Thoughts on it? IMO it's a bass monster that is clearer than a Beats IEM and the $8 Monoprice, and that's all you can really expect it to do, which is still excellent for ~$10.

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 63,836
So far I've just heard it for about 30 minutes. Short first impression is very clear and very much bass. I hope the bass settles a bit with some more use.

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #6 of 63,836
Bhazard: if it's not to much trouble could you please add a small comment to the models that you have/heard in the first post. This way it would be easier for others to see what signatures/quality they each have. That will make it easier to purchase the ones one most likely will prefer. I hope that others (including myself) that try the KZ line can contribute with their impressions as well :)

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #7 of 63,836
Bhazard: if it's not to much trouble could you please add a small comment to the models that you have/heard in the first post. This way it would be easier for others to see what signatures/quality they each have. That will make it easier to purchase the ones one most likely will prefer. I hope that others (including myself) that try the KZ line can contribute with their impressions as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course. I'll add a few now.

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #8 of 63,836
Jan 7, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #9 of 63,836
Quoting myself from the Asian/Chinese thread regarding the KZ A1:

I got the KZ A1 and my impressions with them are a bit diversed: they have a terrific clarity for the price and the sub bass is really deep. With music that has a lot of fast bass I do find the bass to be a bit overwhelming. Some exaples: listening to more accoustic music whit good bass like Ben Howard, Cowboy Junkies or the Abbey Road Sessions with Kylie Minouge they are really really good, not only for their price. Listening to Robyn or Depeche Mode on the other hand it feels like I get bass a bit all over the place leading to litening fatigue pretty fast. To sum it up I think the bass is a bit slow and if there's a lot of midbass in the music it bleeds togheter with the subbass. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 63,836
Subscribed.
What is the KZ's Flagship model?

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 63,836
KZ-CKW1000 looks good also KZ-IE8
are these good? looks like knock-off the Sennheiser IE80 and Audio Technica CKW1000

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 63,836
  KZ-CKW1000 looks good also KZ-IE8
are these good? looks like knock-off the Sennheiser IE80 and Audio Technica CKW1000

The shape is similar, but they use their own style of cords, housings, and drivers. They don't use any logos or anything from the models they are inspired from, and they also have a lot of their own designs.

Flagship wise, the KZ-2013 and KZ-2014 seem to be the most popular. They are pretty good for ~$30, but they won't blow away $100+ earphones.

I like the $12 Micro Ring better than both of them.

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #13 of 63,836
So you also don't like KZ A1 anymore? If they use different drivers too, I wonder how they match the sound signature of the originals.

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #14 of 63,836
  So you also don't like KZ A1 anymore? If they use different drivers too, I wonder how they match the sound signature of the originals.

The KZ-A1 is more of a one trick pony. It has really nice, deep, punchy bass, but is a little recessed in the mids and could use a little more clarity. Still excellent for $10, and blows away the Monoprice easily.

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 63,836
Thanks, so what Asian IEM would you consider to beat 100+ dollar IEMs?
Do they have dual BA IEMs or something similar to that fashion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back