Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 26, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #14,792 of 63,917

I like bassy IEMs with good mids, smooth high mids and smooth detailed highs. 

Going by your description, I think the VSD3 would be a very good choice. However, I don't have an ATR (or rather it's MIA since it was shipped on November 9th).

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #14,794 of 63,917
Unexpectedly got my ZST 'colorful' today. They are really sexy!!

But the sound is not of my preference. While they are technically capable, sibilance on vocals is very distracting. Well I was kinda expecting this so it'll all good. ATR will be the KZ of my choice for now. :D

Merry Christmas to all.

I totally agree with you that's why I sold it and upgraded to the dt2+.

But I do notice that the zst and dt2+ sounds alot better when driven from a better source or when my s7 edge is attached to my Fiio e07k. It add alot more texture and details to the music and it is way more enjoyable to listen to.

If you are a casual audiophile I find the zs3 to sound superb with so much clarity and soundstage when used with a smartphone.

I may upgrade to a fiio e17k as it sounds alot better and I can get it cheap in my area. Waiting for my ATR!

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #14,795 of 63,917
Unexpectedly got my ZST 'colorful' today. They are really sexy!!

But the sound is not of my preference. While they are technically capable, sibilance on vocals is very distracting. Well I was kinda expecting this so it'll all good. ATR will be the KZ of my choice for now. :D

Merry Christmas to all.

reading few last pages on the ZST made me hesitant to buy it. I also think that the ATR's treble is nice, neutral , and most importantly not ear piercing. listening to the ATR on long and loud sessions is really enjoyable and non fatiguing. it is on par with my ATH M50 for listening enjoyment (in term of balance of frequencies, although they also differ in character,soundstage, etc). i tried the ZS3, i think it is good sounding. but i don't like the memory wires

for reference, my other listening device is:
Remax S1 pro- I really hate this, the treble is shrill, bass, is muffled, no instrument separation/ soundstaging, finicky fitting. I even hesitant to give this to relatives because i'm afraid it might damage their hearing
ATH CKX5iS - my wife's earphone.this is also have a piercing treble, but the instrument separation is good. i just can't use this for a long session
Stock Xperia Z sony iem -don't know the type. this is really bass heavy. nice for watching movies. mids and treble is recessed
QCY QY19 - nice balanced sound. bass is good, trebles non piercing. not too special, but great for what it's worth and purpose
KRK V6 studio monitors - had this for ages, still love the sound

I am waiting for the TY HI Z32 in the mail,
now i am still curious about the ED9, but if anybody can confirm about the high frequencies? is it piercing? how is it compared to the ATR and ZS3?

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #14,796 of 63,917
now i am still curious about the ED9, but if anybody can confirm about the high frequencies? is it piercing? how is it compared to the ATR and ZS3?

The stock iem for sony xperia z is sony MH750

Ed9, while the high frequency isn't really piercing, it isn't really comfortable for long session listening either. You should get HDS1 or ED3M for non fatiguing sound

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #14,797 of 63,917
reading few last pages on the ZST made me hesitant to buy it. I also think that the ATR's treble is nice, neutral , and most importantly not ear piercing. listening to the ATR on long and loud sessions is really enjoyable and non fatiguing. it is on par with my ATH M50 for listening enjoyment (in term of balance of frequencies, although they also differ in character,soundstage, etc). i tried the ZS3, i think it is good sounding. but i don't like the memory wires

for reference, my other listening device is:
Remax S1 pro- I really hate this, the treble is shrill, bass, is muffled, no instrument separation/ soundstaging, finicky fitting. I even hesitant to give this to relatives because i'm afraid it might damage their hearing
ATH CKX5iS - my wife's earphone.this is also have a piercing treble, but the instrument separation is good. i just can't use this for a long session
Stock Xperia Z sony iem -don't know the type. this is really bass heavy. nice for watching movies. mids and treble is recessed
QCY QY19 - nice balanced sound. bass is good, trebles non piercing. not too special, but great for what it's worth and purpose
KRK V6 studio monitors - had this for ages, still love the sound

I am waiting for the TY HI Z32 in the mail,

Nice to hear about your experiences. I love my m50s that's why i ordered the atr! Hopefully is as good.

Anyone with the zs1 or zs2? I know it's dual dynamic does it sound better than the zs3?

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #14,799 of 63,917
Any mods for ZST to improve mids? They sound piercing on few tracks.

You can try adding a small damper (sponge) in the nozzle......remember,the BA is housed in the nozzle so try adjusting the space between them and see how it tames.

I've posted some pictures of damper from my zs3,take a look in the gallery,to get a fair idea.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #14,800 of 63,917
The stock iem for sony xperia z is sony MH750

Ed9, while the high frequency isn't really piercing, it isn't really comfortable for long session listening either. You should get HDS1 or ED3M for non fatiguing sound

Thank you for the info, but after i googled it, it is not the MH750, but it is the MH-EX300AP (looking by the shape of it..i don't know if there's other sony earphone with the same shape like EX300AP)

what about the soundstaging between the ED9, HDS1, ED3M compared to the ATR?

Nice to hear about your experiences. I love my m50s that's why i ordered the atr! Hopefully is as good.

Anyone with the zs1 or zs2? I know it's dual dynamic does it sound better than the zs3?

I hope you'll like it, as i really enjoy it. though i recommended it to a friend, his reaction is that it sounded flat and unexiting. well..each to his own i guess. I also curious about the ZS1

Dec 27, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #14,805 of 63,917

I noticed some minor changes to kz ate-s.
Above is the old ver, below is the most recent purchased.
Bought from Easy aliexpress store.
changes: nozzle became red, memory wire changed

Are there any changes in the sound?......see if you cld find any damper back of the nozzle mesh of the new ate-s.only if you cld.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back