Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 12, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #14,311 of 63,916
Double post, sorry.

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #14,312 of 63,916
  This is unconfirmed if there is actually v2 or there was just QC issues which is quite common to KZ production. 
Atm, all we know is that there are just black and colorful version which should sound same and have same components.

Nevertheless, too much hype around ZST and little objectivity imo. Few respected reviewers already gave their impressions and they don`t seem to be "very special" and still have some "faults". Will they fit for person subjective taste is another story. 

I agree with this. It's not 100% certain if they changed anything, or if the first batch was off, or if the early reviewers simply didn't like the sound signature. If only Horton was still around...
Since B9Scrambler accurately described his black ZST the way I think about my colorful ZST, I personally assume that the current black and colorful versions should sound the same.

You don't even have them and you're giving negative reviews about them? That doesn't seem right. I'll take the countless numbers of excellent reports on here as evidence that the ZST's are excellent performers and it's not just me who says so.

I don't think CoiL was speaking bad about the ZST, and I also personally feel that the ZST is slightly overhyped right now. The faults that were mentioned aren't coming from CoiL, but from what he read in other reviews in this thread. It's also very true that whether or not the ZST is good depends on personal taste.

In saying that, a "fault" for someone might be a strength for another person. B9Scrambler listed "thin mid and upper registers" as a con in his mini-review. I personally hate high-mids (a lot of J-pop songs sound too piercing to me if the high-mids are boosted), so this actually becomes an advantage for me. If the ZST had some more low-mids and slightly less treble, it would be the perfect IEM for me, but a fellow guitarist tried them on yesterday and said that he preferred less low mids and more high mids (he owns a Shure SE425), so the electric guitars would be more present in the mix.

There isn't really any wrong or right, as sound signature is all preference-based. Because of this, if someone says IEM A >>> IEM B, it should always be taken with a grain of salt, as it does not apply to everyone. I genuinely prefer the ZST over the 12-BA UM Mason, but I can't just go around and say ZST > UM Mason.

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #14,313 of 63,916
  I agree with this. It's not 100% certain if they changed anything, or if the first batch was off, or if the early reviewers simply didn't like the sound signature. If only Horton was still around...

Since B9Scrambler accurately described his black ZST the way I think about my colorful ZST, I personally assume that the current black and colorful versions should sound the same.

I don't think CoiL was speaking bad about the ZST, and I also personally feel that the ZST is slightly overhyped right now. The faults that were mentioned aren't coming from CoiL, but from what he read in other reviews in this thread. It's also very true that whether or not the ZST is good depends on personal taste.

In saying that, a "fault" for someone might be a strength for another person. B9Scrambler listed "thin mid and upper registers" as a con in his mini-review. I personally hate high-mids (a lot of J-pop songs sound too piercing to me if the high-mids are boosted), so this actually becomes an advantage for me. If the ZST had some more low-mids and slightly less treble, it would be the perfect IEM for me, but a fellow guitarist tried them on yesterday and said that he preferred less low mids and more high mids (he owns a Shure SE425), so the electric guitars would be more present in the mix.

There isn't really any wrong or right, as sound signature is all preference-based. Because of this, if someone says IEM A >>> IEM B, it should always be taken with a grain of salt, as it does not apply to everyone. I genuinely prefer the ZST over the 12-BA UM Mason, but I can't just go around and say ZST > UM Mason.

Nice thought process. I think the ZST is very good and probably one of, if not the best KZ yet purely looking at technical ability. It's signature won't resonate with everyone which is why kicking up massive hype could lead to disappointment. It's not my favorite KZ and I can tell you that with certainty, but I respect it for what it does especially at the price it's going for. I still prefer the 2014 ANV due to it's balance which is something the ZST just doesn't have. Comfort too, but that's a very personal thing. Would I recommend the ZST? Heck yes, just not necessarily to someone that wants a warm, smooth, sound, or something more balanced. There are a number of other KZ's that better meet those criteria.

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #14,314 of 63,916

I just really think you should own the IEM before slamming it saying it's overhyped. I don't have the ZS3 or ED9 so I don't talk about them. I respect your opinion on it, sure. Coils? Not so much until they receive theirs. It should be taken with a grain of salt.

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #14,315 of 63,916
Guys I've tried the zs3 and damn son it's so good. Way better than the se215 I've tried.I ended up listening to it till 3am in the night.

But my zs 3 kinda broke after I tried to switch cables the entire red part just went into the iems.

So I'm looking to an upgrade. Was looking at swing ec1 or a zst pro. Anyone with both able to give a comparision?

Anyway anybody tried a dac or amp on the zst? Does it improve the SQ? I'm lookin at getting a shanling m1

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #14,317 of 63,916
1st post on this thread ... help me out please :)

Thinking of ordering the ZST Colorful and Zs3 ... both going for $13++ on AE now.  Believe they have different sound sig ... I listen to everything - K-Pop, Andrea Bocelli, etc, etc ... fav with voice.

Some question on cables ... 

There's an upgrade silver cables which is being sold on AE ... correct me if I'm wrong and this is from what I read from the many threads in HF, characteristics of silver cables is that they will most likely increase the highs.

Is it a good idea to get the cables for both KZs I'm planning to get?  If not, which is a safer bet?

Thanks ...

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #14,318 of 63,916

Thinking of ordering the ZST Colorful and Zs3 ... both going for $13++ on AE now.  Believe they have different sound sig ... I listen to everything - K-Pop, Andrea Bocelli, etc, etc ... fav with voice.

There's an upgrade silver cables which is being sold on AE ... correct me if I'm wrong and this is from what I read from the many threads in HF, characteristics of silver cables is that they will most likely increase the highs.

Is it a good idea to get the cables for both KZs I'm planning to get?  If not, which is a safer bet?

Thanks ...

I've gotten the silver cables for my zs3. It opens up the sound stage. Tones down the bass and make it tighter. The highs are slightly higher and general clarity is improved.

If u have the budget I'll definitely ask u to get it. You'll wan to throw the old cables after u upgrade

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #14,319 of 63,916
i would get the silverplated cable for ZS3 too...dun think i need to tweak the sound of the ZST,
(unless it is PURE SILVER)...LOL.

rockets gonna be launched my direction....hide.

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #14,321 of 63,916
So I talked the KZ customer service on tmall (the official shop portal of taobao, you need proof you own the actual business, have a certain level of working capital etc. to set up on tmall).  Do take these with a few grains of salt as I doubt the customer service person knows everything (they typically help with stock checks, refunds and other issues).

ZSR: I asked when these will be out, they say not so soon.  So they don't deny this doesn't exist. They also don't know whether it's 10 drivers per earbud or 5 on each side (I suspect the latter). They did say they will message me once they have more info.

ZST v1 v2: they say this is false.  Yes the black ones came first, but the only difference is the color of the housing.  So the differences people have experienced could simply be QC issues with the initial batches, or just a big difference in sound preference.  Or KZ engineers did tune it but didn't broadcast this information widely.

I suspect any announcement for the ZSR will likely be at least after chinese new year (late Jan 2017).

BTW a side note on ED12, ZS3 and ZST silver cable upgrade.  They confirmed the pins are the same diameter, but the housing is different.  ZST and ED12 are interchangeable, and have an angled housing while ZS3 housing is straight.  I believe the ZS3 upgrade cable will be slightly loose if used on the ZST/ED12, and likewise the ZST/ED12 cables may be too big for the ZS3.  The wire itself should be the same across all 3.

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #14,322 of 63,916
the zs3 cable has angled housing if i remember correctly.

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #14,323 of 63,916

Thanks ...

May I, with all honesty, advise you get, if you could, a. Monoprice 8320? I listen a lot to vocals, also Andrea, and there's imo no KZ that could match its clear and clean sound. I also find the zs3 to be too dark for male vocals. Besides, I still think the Monoprices top most (all?) KZs but that's my opinion :)

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #14,324 of 63,916
i have a pair somewhere i cant remember...
i should go search..its terribly uncomfortable in my ears..
the thin wires curled..knurled.. v neutral lean kind of sound...
but could match a  warmish sounding fone or dap i guess.
..distant memory. imho.

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #14,325 of 63,916
ricemanhk Thanks for all that info! I can tell you right now that the pin diameter on my ZS3 is much thicker than on the ZST or ED12. The cables on the ED12 and ZST are interchangeable, but the ZS3 is it's own beast. I have an early-ish ZS3 (first batch after recall) so maybe they changed the connector on more recent releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back