Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 19, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #11,446 of 63,919
Greetings fellow uhm KZ people. Quite new around here (first post) and just wanted some input on which KZ's to go with. Currently I've got a pair of Shure SE215 and to be honest I'm quite bored of the sound they give out. Been looking at the ZS3, ATE, ZS1 and ZS2. Kinda locked in on the ZS3 and ATE after some reading, but I still want some inpu on the ZS1 vs the ZS2. I don't mind there to be some bass as I'm somewhat a basshead. Just wanted to get some opinions on which of those two I should get or other models I should look into. Budget is 24$ atm and I'm trying to get the most for that money.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #11,447 of 63,919
  Greetings fellow uhm KZ people. Quite new around here (first post) and just wanted some input on which KZ's to go with. Currently I've got a pair of Shure SE215 and to be honest I'm quite bored of the sound they give out. Been looking at the ZS3, ATE, ZS1 and ZS2. Kinda locked in on the ZS3 and ATE after some reading, but I still want some inpu on the ZS1 vs the ZS2. I don't mind there to be some bass as I'm somewhat a basshead. Just wanted to get some opinions on which of those two I should get or other models I should look into. Budget is 24$ atm and I'm trying to get the most for that money.

You could get a really nice amp later (or even just a kind of nice amp) and the ATE can turn into a serious bass monster, take my word on it as a fellow basshead.

Other KZ's will give you more bass without an amp and EQing, but the ATE with an amp will hit harder than any other KZ - at the same time the ones that give you more bass without an amp won't scale as well if you plan to upgrade other gear later.

hope that helps!

p.s. i have'nt heard the ZS3 yet :frowning2:

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #11,448 of 63,919

Same here, the ATEs are the best for running and all kind of sports thanks to the memory wires, they have a very good sound quality and clear details, though the bass can be a bit too high.
I hope the KZ ZS3 have less bass

Mine are a year old or something like that so I unfortunately don't have the memory wire. While the sound is good, especially considering the price, for running I would like something that has better noise isolation.

I saw that the newer ones have polymer covered weights. Mine oxidized pretty badly from sweat.

Any sugestions for replacment tips for KZ ATE? But not something from amazon that costs like three pairs of ATEs.

Jul 19, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #11,449 of 63,919

You could get a really nice amp later (or even just a kind of nice amp) and the ATE can turn into a serious bass monster, take my word on it as a fellow basshead.

Other KZ's will give you more bass without an amp and EQing, but the ATE with an amp will hit harder than any other KZ - at the same time the ones that give you more bass without an amp won't scale as well if you plan to upgrade other gear later.

hope that helps!

p.s. i have'nt heard the ZS3 yet :frowning2:

Thanks for the input! Guess the ATE and ZS3 is going to be bought then, just need some advice on whether to go with the ZS1 or ZS2

Jul 19, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #11,450 of 63,919
Well as a get well present to myself I dropped $27 on a pair of ZS3's and ATR's, updates to follow
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Jul 19, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #11,451 of 63,919
I basically messed up with my math and ordered a pair of ATE's (got them at 5$) and a pair of ZS2's at 10$ and I was then meant to have enough money to get the ZS3's aswell but when I bought the ATE's I had the option to give money to charity so I went ahead and did that, so yeah that basically made me not affording them this time. It was well worth it though, I'd rather help fight cancer than have an extra pair of IEM's

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #11,452 of 63,919
  I basically messed up with my math and ordered a pair of ATE's (got them at 5$) and a pair of ZS2's at 10$ and I was then meant to have enough money to get the ZS3's aswell but when I bought the ATE's I had the option to give money to charity so I went ahead and did that, so yeah that basically made me not affording them this time. It was well worth it though, I'd rather help fight cancer than have an extra pair of IEM's

So you went with the ATE's? They're a good choice, you won't be disappointed at all.

If you have an older stereo receiver laying around, or can go to a thrift store or something like that easily where they sell em, those can give you an ****load of power to the headphone outputs, and then you could realize how much bass the ATE is capable of  :wink:

I bought myself a set of ATR earlier today though to satisfy the curiosity.

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #11,453 of 63,919
My buddy's ZS1 finally arrived and I've had the chance to check it out in detail. If anyone wanted to get the ZN1 Mini but were put off by the short cable, just but a new ZS1. It is definitely not the same as the original.

- standard nozzle filter; brass ring removed
- crossover removed

Personally, I am not a fan and much prefer the original ZS1 in every way. They just sound so much more clear. Listening to the ZN1 Mini and new ZS1 back-to-back with the original ZS1 makes this very apparent. Maybe it's because of the many, many hours I have on the original, but the other two sound veiled.

My curiosity has been satisfied.

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #11,455 of 63,919
So you went with the ATE's? They're a good choice, you won't be disappointed at all.

If you have an older stereo receiver laying around, or can go to a thrift store or something like that easily where they sell em, those can give you an ****load of power to the headphone outputs, and then you could realize how much bass the ATE is capable of  :wink:

I bought myself a set of ATR earlier today though to satisfy the curiosity.

Yup, those and the ZS2. Can't wait to see how they eq on my xonar card. My DT770's have some monsterous bass with my current setup. Sure will test them on my stereo aswell

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #11,456 of 63,919

I finally finished doing the grill mod, made hole using soldering iron and sand paper turned out great
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice job! Nice trick to get that hole with soldering iron... but... don`t inhale the toxic gases! 

How about sound? Did it improve and how? You have vent holes version or not?

Jul 20, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #11,457 of 63,919

Would not comment on zs3 since I didn't try one.

I'm a basshead and I used kz ate-s,kz ate and kz zs1. My personal fav is kz ate-s. KZ ate-s is definitely bassier than kz ate. Other than that, they sound very similar. Meanwhile the kz zs1 is a Dual dynamic driver which is too much for me.

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #11,460 of 63,919
  Dang my ED9 filters are oxidizing. This green stuff started showing up around them.

Yes, the brass filter is really just cheap pot metal as far as I can tell. It's a pain in the arse but if you take them apart after a long session and wipe/dry them they hold up a lot longer, i fully corroded my first pair before I realized how cheap the metal was but since I own like 5 pair of ED9's I had reserves and treat them a little more gingerly
wink_face.gif

Hey Coil, Sazu may be giving you a little DIY competition there
rolleyes.gif
jk, your still the master
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back