Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 28, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #11,281 of 64,286
Received my KZ ATES today and I'm surprised to find that it's a direct copy of Audio Technica ATH-IM lineup. I was a bit worried because I read somewhere that it's large but when I compared it to my ATH-IM02 they don't really looked and feel that different, I'm positive its a direct copy of the higher end ATH-IM03/04. The cable of the KZ is by far my favorite, I like it more than the cable of my ATH-IM02.

Sound wise, -does it live up the hype?
Probably if you compare it to $30-$50 earphones.

How about with $60-$100 earphones? Not even close, it just cant.

Edit: I'll give it a few hours of getting used to, my initial statement about the SQ will probably change.

KZ ATES vs Xiaomi Hybrid overall SQ?
The Xiaomi Hybrids is far better in almost every aspect. Long story short, the hybrids are more precise, natural, and balance sounding. The soundstage and imaging is also better on the Hybrids. But the bass, man, the KZ rocks it will please any bass heads out there.

Overall I think its a great value in ear earphones, I got it for around $12AUD from Gearbest and I'm loving it so far although it didn't really blown me away like the Xiaomi Hybrids did.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #11,282 of 64,286
Received my KZ ATES today and I'm surprised to find that it's a direct copy of Audio Technica ATH-IM lineup. I was a bit worried because I read somewhere that it's large but when I compared it to my ATH-IM02 they don't really looked and feel that different, I'm positive its a direct copy of the higher end ATH-IM03/04. The cable of the KZ is by far my favorite, I like it more than the cable of my ATH-IM02.

Sound wise, -does it live up the hype?
Probably if you compare it to $30-$50 earphones.

How about with $60-$100 earphones? Not even close, it just cant.

Edit: I'll give it a few hours of getting used to, my statement about the SQ will probably change

KZ ATES vs Xiaomi Hybrid overall SQ?
The Xiaomi Hybrids is far better in almost every aspect. Long story short, the hybrids are more precise, natural, and balance sounding. The soundstage and imaging is also better on the Hybrids. But the bass, man, the KZ rocks it will please any bass heads out there.

Overall I think its a great value in ear earphones, I got it for around $12AUD from Gearbest and I'm loving it so far although it didn't really blown me away like the Xiaomi Hybrids did.

piston 2 and 3 are far better than the hybrids so.......

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #11,283 of 64,286
Jun 28, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #11,286 of 64,286
  I own the piston 2 and the hybrid. I don't really agree with you, but find both to be better than the KZ ATE.

I prefer the piston 2 and 3 over the hybrid but YMMV

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #11,287 of 64,286
  I own the piston 2 and the hybrid. I don't really agree with you, but find both to be better than the KZ ATE.

I found the ATE the most difficult of all my phones to get the right tips but when I did they just clicked. But obviously, each to their own.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #11,288 of 64,286
Got my ZS3 order cancelled at geekbuying, was assured of full refund in a day or two.

Personally, I have never encountered single QC issue with any of my KZs. It's a pity that this one failed, ZS3 looked great in their appearance and would have been my first detachable cabled IEM.

Hope KZ sorts out their QC issues and comes up with a better quality (both in sound and build) product soon.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #11,289 of 64,286
  Got my ZS3 order cancelled at geekbuying, was assured of full refund in a day or two.

Personally, I have never encountered single QC issue with any of my KZs. It's a pity that ZS3 did looked great in their appearance and would have been my first detachable cabled IEM.

Hope KZ sorts out their QC issues and comes up with a better quality (both sound and build) product soon.

I got the "July 10" email and an offer of a refund or replacement. I said I was happy to wait as long as the quality good. We shall see...

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #11,290 of 64,286

I got the "July 10" email and an offer of a refund or replacement. I said I was happy to wait as long as the quality good. We shall see...

I too got the same mail, but the impressions from those who received ZS3 (in the last 2 days) was less than sterling on their sound signature (bass centric) even with the somehwat working piece or defective 3.5 mm jack or faulty driver.

I thought I would better buy something with more proven track record  (Joyroom E107 and Edifier H185 are in my radar for some time, might go for one of these)

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #11,291 of 64,286
I'm hoping the delay is to sort out quality issues. I have enough to be getting with, though, and some Monks on the way, so I don't mind the wait.

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #11,292 of 64,286
  I thought I would better buy something with more proven track record  (Joyroom E107 and Edifier H185 are in my radar for some time, might go for one of these)

Hmm, they look nice - how do they compare to the Monks for SQ?

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #11,293 of 64,286
  Hmm, they look nice - how do they compare to the Monks for SQ?

I do not own H185 yet and have got only Monk. So take this following assumption of mine with a pinch of salt, on reading various impressions (not necessarily direct comparisons), H185 appears to have more balanced sound signature and slightly more detail oriented approach (would love my Monk to have little less mid-bass while a bit more sparkle in the treble).

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #11,294 of 64,286
Thanks, the Monk sounds more my cup of tea, I'm sensitive to too much treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back