Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 4, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #9,916 of 64,394
It's pretty bad unfortunately (I feel at least). Lots of muddy bass. About the only thing going for them is their sound stage and the tips would make good replacements for those with a legit EPH-100.

Looks like that familiar old sticky cable again too :frowning2:

Mar 4, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #9,917 of 64,394
Courtesy to @HiFiChris and @Hisoundfi here are some FR graph for KZ. 
For convenience I'm storing these (and upcoming) graphs in my album visible in my signature. 

KZ ED9 (Gold and Brass Filter):

KZ ZN1, ZS1, HDS1

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #9,918 of 64,394
  Looks like that familiar old sticky cable again too :frowning2:

Well you could just go this route
wink_face.gif
I stand correct on the K100 as it's EPH as B9 says
redface.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-EPH100SL-EPH-100SL-Inner-Ear-Headphone/dp/B00591GIMY/ref=pd_sim_23_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31OWYnlzcvL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR128%2C160_&refRID=0FHCVA3XMY33GFDARN22

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #9,919 of 64,394
  Courtesy to @HiFiChris and @Hisoundfi here are some FR graph for KZ. 
For convenience I'm storing these (and upcoming) graphs in my album visible in my signature. 

KZ ED9 (Gold and Brass Filter):

KZ ZN1, ZS1, HDS1

Wow, after about 300 both filters are about the same on the ED9's, not sure which line belongs to which iem in the bottom graph
blink.gif
Nice work Chris/Vince
wink_face.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #9,922 of 64,394
Mar 4, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #9,923 of 64,394
Word has it they sound like dookie:eek: I think if you search this thread you can come up with that info. They appear to be a direct copy of the old Yamaha K100 I think it was. I think I still have a pair I stuck in my kids electronic stuff cabinet at home as I never even un-boxed mine after reading all the bad press:-0 That is not like me because I always make my own judgements but everyone was pretty adamant about not wasting your time or money!

Wow you have some EPH100 that are still in box??? Mate I'll grab them off ya if you're getting rid of them. Some of my fav IEMs for Trance.

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #9,924 of 64,394
ZN1 is ZN1 Mini with amplifier right? I don't see the rolled off subbass I think I hear in that graph, so I suppose so. Looking at it I can see why I think the treble is rolled off too, I hear up to 16khz so for my ears theres nothing after 10khz (if the ZN1 Mini responds similarly). But to my ears the ATE is considerably more rolled off in treble (only had translucent) - I wonder about the curve on that one !!

Thnx for sharing these, interesting!

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #9,925 of 64,394
Wow you have some EPH100 that are still in box??? Mate I'll grab them off ya if you're getting rid of them. Some of my fav IEMs for Trance.

I have the KZ knockoff HDS2 version!

Pulp, the ZN1 has the amp and the ZN1 Mini does not
wink_face.gif
Oops, should have read your post more clearly as you stated it right
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #9,926 of 64,394
My guess is ZS1 red, ZN1 the yellow (or green?...I have no idea) and blue to the HDS1.

You are on point with guesses :D

ZN1 is ZN1 Mini with amplifier right? I don't see the rolled off subbass I think I hear in that graph, so I suppose so. Looking at it I can see why I think the treble is rolled off too, I hear up to 16khz so for my ears theres nothing after 10khz (if the ZN1 Mini responds similarly). But to my ears the ATE is considerably more rolled off in treble (only had translucent) - I wonder about the curve on that one !!

Thnx for sharing these, interesting!

Yup, for this test Chris had turned off the amplifier part. I'm not sure though the ZN1 with amp turned off would exactly sound like ZN1 mini or not. 
We need ATE FR graph too. Wish I had the equipment for it. But I've asked in the Lab thread, they will help in this. Vince would be bringing more graphs today, probably. 

Wow, after about 300 both filters are about the same on the ED9's, not sure which line belongs to which iem in the bottom graph
blink.gif
 Nice work Chris/Vince
wink_face.gif

Pretty interesting, right? 

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #9,927 of 64,394
Update ~~~

Purchased EDR2 from Shenzhen Pursuiting Flagship Store http://www.aliexpress.com/store/512142 on February 7th received them today March 4th...
blink.gif

Off to burn-in and tip rolling. I think this might be my last KZ...too many hp's not enough time.
Took a quick listen and they sound good OOTB.

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #9,928 of 64,394
Update ~~~

Purchased EDR2 from Shenzhen Pursuiting Flagship Store http://www.aliexpress.com/store/512142 on February 7th received them today March 4th...:blink:
Off to burn-in and tip rolling. I think this might be my last KZ...too many hp's not enough time.
Took a quick listen and they sound good OOTB.

Let me put this to you like Dr. Suess (sp) would! "Go Cad Go":stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #9,929 of 64,394
@EISENbricher

Here's the KZ ATE (stock silicone tips):

Yep, that's the "calibrated", diffuse-field compensated measurement. Looks quite neutral with a roll-off in the upper treble (the dip around 6 kHz is around 5 dB less present, it is a calibration error), doesn't it? But that's totally not how the ATE sounds in my ears. To me, it sounds bassy, thick, dark, voluminous.

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #9,930 of 64,394
OK not sure why but I've been listening to this Black Light Syndrome disc constantly for days now and randomly tried track 2 with the EDR2 and it was OK but they need burn-in so mute point. Tried the Puro IEM500 and just wasn't happening so threw on the ED3 Acme and BAM! this is sounding good now...rockin' deep bass and crunchy highs I'm liking these little b@$t@rds more and more...
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back