Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 22, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #9,736 of 64,143
  Thanks for your respons. I'm aware of the short cables and amp location, but I don't think I'm going to find that a big problem, because I'm planning to just use them at home, for media consumption (watching movies, YouTube and obviously listening to music). What do you think of the sound quality of the zn1. Are there other comparable earphones? Can they really compare with some earphones with way higher pricepoints? 

I don't know what I own that I could compare these with but for $25 you get a very nice sounding set of iem's with a bonus amplifier, you can thread search these and find more impressions. I remember some did not like the amp sound at all but I rather enjoy when the amp is engaged and when you bypass they sound almost lifeless to me! Keep in mind this was just my observation and it and fiddy cent will get you a cup of coffee
eek.gif
I don't think you will be disappointed for $25
wink_face.gif

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #9,737 of 64,143
1st impression of the Z1 (or S4) model, at only 5 hours: Way too much treble energy, just like the standard ED4. I'm not certain I heard a difference in the Z1 vs ED4. I might have heard more present female vocals, but too early to judge. Not a winner out of the box, but all the pieces are there for being great if that treble tames down.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #9,739 of 64,143
Hello everyone.
I stepped across this thread about 1 month ago and did some reading about these headphones.
I decided to order some models.
Yesterday i received the first two of them.
EDR2 and the so famous S3 with black cable.
Out of the box, both are great performers. Especially for this price range, they definitely dont sound like 10$ headphones.
Both outperform my xiaomi pistons 2 and 3.
I am undecided which i prefer. I think edr2 is a little bit more balanced with nice bass but S3 is more detailed and little treble oriented.
I enjoy my music with both of them (mostly progressive metal).
I tried them on a clean setup, no equalizers etc, as i said they perform marvelously out of the box.

Now i need to wait the rest i ordered.ATE, zn1 mini, eds1, EDSE, ED4.
I will keep you informed about my impressions. For now these 2 have overcome my expectations

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #9,740 of 64,143
I'm going to let all you gentlemen tell me, I'm retiring out here in KZ Land:hushed: after getting my Auri Rockets the other day it is clear to me they are in another bracket:confused: I mean my ED9's and ZN1 Mini's are very good iem's for $14 and $10 respectively but neither are at the material/build quality of the Sonics. They for sure are not at them same SQ level!

But I'll be watching and enjoying eveyone here's findings on KZ future releases:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I've been out of town for two days and just came across this. I understand, I've also been longing for something high-end, want to experience that but will see, maybe in future when I could afford one. You're right, I've seen people before too drawing a clear line between SQ levels of entry level earphones and mid to high end earphones. 

Good to know though that you'll be around this thread. As I expect from every member that 'graduates' from KZ thread (few have been there before you), please grab a best KZ of that time occasionally (maybe once in 3-4 months or more) and compare the sound with the better gear you own, that will really help to conclude whether they are progressing or not. 

Hello everyone.
I stepped across this thread about 1 month ago and did some reading about these headphones.
I decided to order some models.
Yesterday i received the first two of them.
EDR2 and the so famous S3 with black cable.
Out of the box, both are great performers. Especially for this price range, they definitely dont sound like 10$ headphones.
Both outperform my xiaomi pistons 2 and 3.
I am undecided which i prefer. I think edr2 is a little bit more balanced with nice bass but S3 is more detailed and little treble oriented.
I enjoy my music with both of them (mostly progressive metal).
I tried them on a clean setup, no equalizers etc, as i said they perform marvelously out of the box.

Now i need to wait the rest i ordered.ATE, zn1 mini, eds1, EDSE, ED4.
I will keep you informed about my impressions. For now these 2 have overcome my expectations
Great! Welcome to the thread and it's good to know that you found liking in KZ : ) 

I've been waiting for EDR2 as well but maybe the delivery will take 2 more weeks. Let us know whether any burn-in or tip-rolling makes any difference in their sound. 

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #9,741 of 64,143
If anyone is interested I've posted my 2 pairs of S3's on the for sale forum here. Both are fine I just prefer my ED9's.

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #9,742 of 64,143
  I've been out of town for two days and just came across this. I understand, I've also been longing for something high-end, want to experience that but will see, maybe in future when I could afford one. You're right, I've seen people before too drawing a clear line between SQ levels of entry level earphones and mid to high end earphones. 

Good to know though that you'll be around this thread. As I expect from every member that 'graduates' from KZ thread (few have been there before you), please grab a best KZ of that time occasionally (maybe once in 3-4 months or more) and compare the sound with the better gear you own, that will really help to conclude whether they are progressing or not. 

Well like the Cad I still love my ED9's and they are what I'll usually use to compare with, for $14 they for sure hold their own. For someone on a tight budget or who just can't justify >$50 iem's the KZ line is bang for the buck and if you've not heard >$150 iem's you may not even know or care what you may be missing especially if you like what you hear with those $14 KZ ED9's
wink_face.gif
Now with that said you can also go with the old adage you can and a lot of times get what you pay for, nice thing about the hobby is you can take gradual steps without blowing the bank! Even stepping up to iem's that fall in the $50 to $150 can really show you good return on investment ie: EX1's, Trinity's right up to the Atlas currently, HCK A2's are all fine examples of moving up from the KZ line. To me this is one of the best parts of this hobby, it is so subjective and there really is no right or wrong just new choices
biggrin.gif
To all members we know the one thing we all have in common and that is the pure joy of listening to music.

Jamming, Irie
beerchug.gif

Feb 23, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #9,743 of 64,143
ZN1 Mini arrived today. Have only put five or six songs through them, but so far so good ootb. Have to say though, after comparing to my ZS1 which has a billion hours on it, I'm still in the ZS1 camp. The ZN1 Mini sounds VERY similar in the mids, treble and mid-bass, but with the ZS1's addictive sub-bass mostly dialed out. Since these are early impressions they could, and probability will, change.

Oh, I also find the ZS1 more comfortable. That memory wire actually does an amazing job of making them disappear in my ears. Kinda surprised at that...

More impressions to come once I get some quality ear time in with the ZN1 Mini!

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #9,744 of 64,143
ZN1 Mini arrived today. Have only put five or six songs through them, but so far so good ootb. Have to say though, after comparing to my ZS1 which has a billion hours on it, I'm still in the ZS1 camp. The ZN1 Mini sounds VERY similar in the mids, treble and mid-bass, but with the ZS1's addictive sub-bass mostly dialed out. Since these are early impressions they could, and probability will, change.

Oh, I also find the ZS1 more comfortable. That memory wire actually does an amazing job of making them disappear in my ears. Kinda surprised at that...

More impressions to come once I get some quality ear time in with the ZN1 Mini!

OK B, do give the Mini's 35 hours. Mine started to sound more like ZS1's but a little more refined at least to my old ears:confused: I ended up gifting my ZS1's to a good buddy as his first iem and he's wild about them, just a little too bass centric for me. What I like most with the Mini's are their ability to be EQ'd to almost sound identical to the ZS1:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I may be wrong, you may not like the sound of the Mini but do burn them in well:thumbsup:

:beers:

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #9,745 of 64,143
Podster Oh no, I'm liking the Mini so far, I just miss the ZS1's sub-bass. I'm not going to judge them till I have a good number of hours on em though :) I found the ZS1 really cleaned up with LOTS of play time, so I expect the same from the Mini. Not a huge proponent of "burn in" but I do feel it benefits some iems, ZS1 included.

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #9,746 of 64,143
Mini sounds fantastic with wide bore tips. Yeah from ZS1 to Mini transition the bass difference would feel but keeping in mind that ZS1 is a bass monster, the lack felt is relative. If you go from ED9 to Mini or HDS1 to mini the bass would feel ample. In absolute terms the bass on mini is above average in quantity and fairly extended, though not to the sub bass levels. 

Comfort wise it's YMMV I think, ZS1's memory wire actually makes it a lot painful for me which Mini with its bundled ear guide can sit comfortably for hours.

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #9,748 of 64,143
There have been very few iem's I could wear with ear hooks, just not a fan of them. Cable over ear has always been my choice and with the grippy cable on the Minu I'm good to go, that crazy garden hose diameter on the Mini's from the y-splitter to the jack is just insane. Always reminds me of some fancy high end speakers cables:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

:beers:

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #9,749 of 64,143
  Mini sounds fantastic with wide bore tips. Yeah from ZS1 to Mini transition the bass difference would feel but keeping in mind that ZS1 is a bass monster, the lack felt is relative. If you go from ED9 to Mini or HDS1 to mini the bass would feel ample. In absolute terms the bass on mini is above average in quantity and fairly extended, though not to the sub bass levels. 

Comfort wise it's YMMV I think, ZS1's memory wire actually makes it a lot painful for me which Mini with its bundled ear guide can sit comfortably for hours.

Ear guide? I didn't get any of those with my pair, though I just tried them with a pair I have. Definitely helps! Thanks for the idea. I did some tips rolling and ended with some super wide bore tips that came with my old JVC Ripidz. The tips I use with the ZS1 force the housing to pop out. That's where the memory wire comes in I guess. Holds the ZS1 in place. That said, the ZN1s sound great with these JVC tips! 

Given the inherent similarities between the ZS1 and ZN1, it was only natural for me to instantly compare them, especially since I enjoy the ZS1 so much. I really only bought the ZN1 to see how they differed. I'll eventually get around to comparing them with other KZs, but first I need to become accustomed to their sound.

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #9,750 of 64,143
Can somebody compare between the HDS1 and ED9 ?
The seller said the ED9 is much better than HDS1 in term of detail, treble. He also said the ZS1 is the best among HDS1, ED9 and ZS1 (detail, mid range, bass), which I found very opposed to some comments in here.
I'm very confused now @@

Users who are viewing this thread

Back