Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 29, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #9,346 of 63,952
  There are a few confusions regarding ATE. First of all there are two ATE models, ATE and ATE-S. Both do sound different. I don't yet have ATE-S so I can't really help. 

Then again, I've heard from users that two ATE models (Silver and Translucent Black) do sound different. I have both and for me they both sound nearly identical. 

Given that, I can assure that there is not too much bass on ATE. There are other KZs like R1, ED8 that can use that term. For ATE I'd say 'Enhanced low end' has a correct vibe.
ATE's low end is well extended, doing enough justice to sub bass as well. ATE has smooth, fluid kind of bass as opposed to punchy, aggressive bass present in ED10/11.

Orchestral metal sounds beautiful on ATE mainly because of that fluid low end and very good soundstage. Since metal is not mainly focused on vocals I'd advice to go for ATE or ED9. ED9 may sound a bit harsh in harsher songs but otherwise do well. HDS1 is very good, balanced earphone but I fear that the bass guitar/ kick drum sounds would satisfy or not. 

That's quite good, you have me convinced for the ATE (the transparent black non S model one), it costed me 6.99$ on Gearbest thanks to the 30% points discount :)! Now I just have to wait for them to arrive.

I'll still likely grab an S3 when it becomes available or the price drops slightly :>.

Jan 29, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #9,348 of 63,952
I've had the Rock Zircon and it's definitely got a sub bass emphasis but it's decently balanced, but not flat lol. It's got a nice mix of eq.

It's twu, it's twu!

Jan 29, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #9,349 of 63,952
OK so no-one has said this yet and no-one has said anything about receiving the S3 with a blue or black cable but I think (and I'm not sure) the black cable has a mic and the clear does not...I have no idea about the blue, it's a mystery. 
Anyway the seller on Ali has said he is re-sending my S3 and it is the black cable with mic.
Perhaps the non mic version is using the clear cable 
confused.gif

I ordered Grey body with black cable originally so I don't feel it is my fault...hopefully someday I'll get a S3 with a black cable in the mail.

Anyone ordering the S3 should message the seller and get details on what the are actually sending out so there's no surprises. 

Jan 29, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #9,350 of 63,952
My KZ ATE are this ones...

I use it with the biggest silicone tips that came in the package. 
I have the Vsonic VSD1S, Xiaomi Piston v2, VJJB v1, Philips SHE3590, LG QuadBeat2 and the ATE has the most impresive subbass and punchy bass of all of them... I like a lot the warm too. 
The most perfect subbass and bass I ever heard it's from my Hifiman HE-500 and ATE is even more impressive in this aspect, less defined or articulate (dynamic sound is nothing like planar sound in this aspect) but very very fun to listen because the amount of bass never take apart de medium frequencys that are very enjoyable too. The only point it's not a goal is that treble is rolled off for me, I need a bit extra o high frequencys and detail to enjoy a better soundstage and detail.
KZ ATE for 8$ are a very good iem with a very warm signature not V but more like Decrescendo ( ºººº===__)

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #9,351 of 63,952
I've been running the EDR2 with some foam tips (<--link to the ones I'm using) this evening. While the EDR2 has a natural treble tilt, I would hesitate to call them bright. The foamies soften them up a bit though, and bring some emphasis to their subbass which is actually pretty well done. Not as massive as the ED4, but more prominent than the ED3. Isolation with the foams is also excellent, well above average, further supporting my thoughts that these are fully sealed. IF they are open backed like the AliExpress images suggest, I have no idea how they manage to isolate so well.

EDIT: And wow, does Build the Cities by Karma Fields sound amazing on these....geezuz.

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #9,352 of 63,952
Reporting on the HDS3, my 4th KZ IEM to arrive.

At first, I was going to point out how difficult it was to fit. My big ear holes leave a dozen angles it could fit comfortably. I normally require the extra large tips, and using those I was having difficulty finding the proper angle. I would have had a much more negative if I stuck to XL tips. Instead I've switched to mediums pushed in deeper. The HDS3 is relatively flat, but I'm EQing in a bass boost.and over the course of the burn in, I could hear initially that it was taking the bass boost well for bass response, but blast beat heavy metal drums was bleeding into upper registers. But at only 15 hours, that is barely perceptible any more.

What's funny is that, with all my music, I'm not hearing any sibilance, but with B9scrambler's video unboxing of a Brainwavz IEM, I hear sibilance. But don't take that as a concern with only 15 hours burn in.

This seems like the budget version of the Puro IEM500, which I also love, but I won't compare till I've got more hours on the HDS3. The Puro is now $59.99 vs I bought the HDS3 for 6.99 delivered in 11 days from the KZ official store on Aliexpress to Texas. The Puro is a pretty balanced IEM, but it responds massively to EQ and can easily become a bass monster with a bit of EQ. It seems like the HDS3 might be almost as good in that.

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #9,353 of 63,952
Thanks, finally some words on HDS3. I am curious whether they sound similar or different to HDS1.

Mine are still a week away, I shall also post some impressions upon getting those.

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #9,354 of 63,952
I wonder how the HDS3 (or maybe the supposedly near identical HDS1) sounds compared to the Joyroom E107 that a couple of people have been hyping. All are 6 mm micro drivers. I also have a Jlab J6 with a 6mm micro driver and can absolutely confirm that it can't adjust remotely as well to a bass boost as the HDS3. (But it is engineered as a bullet proof IEM, I'll give it that.)

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #9,355 of 63,952

What's funny is that, with all my music, I'm not hearing any sibilance, but with B9scrambler's video unboxing of a Brainwavz IEM, I hear sibilance. But don't take that as a concern with only 15 hours burn in.

That's probably the recording. Everything was done straight through my cellphone. Quality :wink:

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #9,356 of 63,952
  Just started dispute on my KZ S3 gray with black cable. Ordered 1-2-2016 never received them but seller did inform me the cable is the same old clear cable on every other KZ 
mad.gif
 I have the ED3 Perfection & Acme.

The only reason I ordered these were that new black cable and wanted to hear the S3...these sellers need to ship what they advertise in the time they state in the ad which was 12-15 days. Seller is http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1819706
hold off on final judgement until dispute is settled... I'll let you guys know how it goes. 

And to really stick it in my eye I paid 12 bucks and they are 8.88 now...
Too bad cuz they do look bad@$$ in the gray with that black cable.
btw anone received the S3 with the black or blue cable??

Just an update on this seller on Aliexpress. I did receive the hp 27 days after ordering but with the old clear cable not the black cable I ordered. Opened a dispute. While I had the dispute open I would get 2-3 messages a day, I agreed to close dispute because the seller agreeing to send a replacement S3 in the color combo I ordered which was the grey with the black cable.
Now that I've cancelled the dispute I've heard...nothing.
angry_face.gif

Also the S3 I did receive has a hum...I started noticing it during switching cd's or in between tracks. I swapped cables, tried grounding the hp amp to the cd players chassis and plugging in to a different outlet. Still hums...my other KZ's do not. So if I don't hear from them by the end of today I am re opening the dispute and just asking for my money back.
btw the S3 sounds very good and I would love to hear it without the hum and in the color combo I originally ordered. It seemed to have potential.

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #9,358 of 63,952
Sorry to hear that :frowning2:

Based on experience, my modus operandi in cases like that is to hold off starting a dispute, let the seller extend buyer protection and ship me the replacement. Most sellers are pretty willing to do this as soon as you start mentioning "dispute".. When you have actually started the dispute, things might get tricky, especially if you want a replacement, because of the shipping times.. :/

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #9,359 of 63,952
While I don't want to argue, but the official KZ store which I am sure about, doesn't even list certain models. And the another store which also claims to be 'official' but lists stuff from other brands as well.

I've never bought anything from stores other than official one, after a few bad experiences and fruitless dispute resolution.

Whereas the KZ store has always had best cust support. They even did resend my ED8 that were lost by courier once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back