Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 19, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #6,841 of 63,884
OK gentlemen, the ZN-1's just came in and in passive mode they are BASS Monsters but my real problem is the amp/cable design! Don't want to outright say Tarded but borderline would be an understatement
blink.gif

So I'm not familiar with the USB cable that came with them and I'm assuming there is an internal battery which I'm not seeing come up when I plug into charge (The little instruction paper tells nothing of switch position to charge so I've tried all and still no juice)!

Probably does not matter if I can get it to charge the whole amp/cable design is not very logical for me
redface.gif

I know my fellow Fier's are going to enlighten me any minute so I'm in stand-by mode
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #6,842 of 63,884
Charging,Yep it's a mystery. I charge mine turned off and actually like the new style USB  cable but since all my Asus, Samsung... use the micro USB  any of them will work. No light comes on while charging nor when finished. I check by unplugging the eq and switching it on. First charge took between 3 and 4 hours. subsequent charges take between 1 to 2 hours. Not much to be done about the cosmic Y splitter. Once you figure a way to secure the eq it works fine. I do wish they had placed it near the jack and used a traditional Y, must have looked good on paper. Anyway hope this helps
Scott

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #6,843 of 63,884
Charging,Yep it's a mystery. I charge mine turned off and actually like the new style USB  cable but since all my Asus, Samsung... use the micro USB  any of them will work. No light comes on while charging nor when finished. I check by unplugging the eq and switching it on. First charge took between 3 and 4 hours. subsequent charges take between 1 to 2 hours. Not much to be done about the cosmic Y splitter. Once you figure a way to secure the eq it works fine. I do wish they had placed it near the jack and used a traditional Y, must have looked good on paper. Anyway hope this helps
Scott

THX gl, all let it charge up at work tomorrow but still don't care much for the amp placement and cable runs:tired_face:

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #6,844 of 63,884
We need someone here to do reviews on Youtube.
That way we can have more depth and explanations into comparisons and sound signature as well as problems.
There are quite a few KZ reviews and unboxings but there's like 2 that are english!
Anyone agree?

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #6,846 of 63,884
Scott

sgl, you say while charging no lights appear on the eq/amp box but the matey manual says while in charge mode you should see the lightning bolt thru the battery picture on the amps LED screen? Is this something that comes up or appears after the initial charge? It is sure looking like a defective unit to me so far!

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #6,847 of 63,884
This type of stuff is why I never ordered the ZN1...

On another note I have the following~

Kz ED-9
Kz ED-10
Kz ATE 
Kz Edse
Meelec CW31 Wooden 
Mrice BALDOOR E300 
Xiaomi Piston 2 
ROCK Mula

Without question my favorite is the ED9 with brass nozzles, stock filters in place and a tiny bit of foam material also stuffed inside each nozzle. For 12 bucks it sounds freakin' amazing. Unfortunately the ROCK Mula was a let down for me.

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #6,848 of 63,884
sgl, you say while charging no lights appear on the eq/amp box but the matey manual says while in charge mode you should see the lightning bolt thru the battery picture on the amps LED screen? Is this something that comes up or appears after the initial charge? It is sure looking like a defective unit to me so far!

The charging lightning bolt does come up it you charge with the eq turned on (play mode). I charge them in the off position and that position there is no light and no display so consequently no lightning bolt. First go araround I was a little worried but when I turned it on they were fuly charged. It may just be me but I always tend to recharge after I'm done using the item amd plug and walk away. I always asume jt will charge faster and more completely when off. So take a look at yours and switch it on while charging and check for the lightning bolt, I'm sure it will be there.
SGL

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #6,849 of 63,884
  This type of stuff is why I never ordered the ZN1...

On another note I have the following~

Kz ED-9
Kz ED-10
Kz ATE 
Kz Edse
Meelec CW31 Wooden 
Mrice BALDOOR E300 
Xiaomi Piston 2 
ROCK Mula

Without question my favorite is the ED9 with brass nozzles, stock filters in place and a tiny bit of foam material also stuffed inside each nozzle. For 12 bucks it sounds freakin' amazing. Unfortunately the ROCK Mula was a let down for me.

Yeah CAD I hear you, I''m pretty sure I have a defective pair
frown.gif
On a brighter note you and I must have similar hearing as I rate my top three KZ right there with you
wink_face.gif

sgl, since the matey manual from KZ on the ZN1's does not indicate which direction is amp off and amp on I 9and you know what this can do) assumed switched towards the power plug to be the off position and in the direction of the volume buttons to be the on position but you can see from the two photo's that I get no power charging indication in either!

Now all I'm hoping is that my soon to arrive ZS1's will not be Bass Thumpers like these are in passive mode
blink.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #6,850 of 63,884
Yeah CAD I hear you, I''m pretty sure I have a defective pair:frowning2: On a brighter note you and I must have similar hearing as I rate my top three KZ right there with you:wink_face:

sgl, since the matey manual from KZ on the ZN1's does not indicate which direction is amp off and amp on I 9and you know what this can do) assumed switched towards the power plug to be the off position and in the direction of the volume buttons to be the on position but you can see from the two photo's that I get no power charging indication in either!

Now all I'm hoping is that my soon to arrive ZS1's will not be Bass Thumpers like these are in passive mode:blink:

It is frustrsting and yes if you push the switch towards the power plug it in the on position. The only other thing to check for is orientorientation of the "new" style usb cable. You can insert it upside down ( in the charge source) and no charginging will occur. Just to be certain try a traditional micro usb cable. Leave the Zn1's in the on position give it a little bit and the check. You will need to depress a button, treble, bass or vol anh will work amd then if alls good the screen will ckme up. Althoigh even without touching a button the little blue light on the right between the Zn1 logo amd the screen should be on.
Cad your right these little things with a new product can definitely put you off. I liked the Ed9 with the bronze as well which prompted me to get the Zn1's. Mine obviously weren't as buggy of frustrating. It was charge find the right tips ( from ed3) listen the figure out eq placement and now there my second favorite behind my Havi's. My kz experience is Zn1, ed9, ate, edse, ed3 the ate over edse based more on comfort and utility than anythjng else. Still waiting for ed10's so not sure where they'll go.

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #6,851 of 63,884
Yeah CAD I hear you, I''m pretty sure I have a defective pair:frowning2: On a brighter note you and I must have similar hearing as I rate my top three KZ right there with you:wink_face:

Now all I'm hoping is that my soon to arrive ZS1's will not be Bass Thumpers like these are in passive mode:blink:

Im sorry to say im hoping for the opposite :D, looking forward to the first reviews of them on here, heard someone say the zn1's were the ate's on 'roids

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #6,853 of 63,884
It is frustrsting and yes if you push the switch towards the power plug it in the on position. The only other thing to check for is orientorientation of the "new" style usb cable. You can insert it upside down ( in the charge source) and no charginging will occur. Just to be certain try a traditional micro usb cable. Leave the Zn1's in the on position give it a little bit and the check. You will need to depress a button, treble, bass or vol anh will work amd then if alls good the screen will ckme up. Althoigh even without touching a button the little blue light on the right between the Zn1 logo amd the screen should be on.
Cad your right these little things with a new product can definitely put you off. I liked the Ed9 with the bronze as well which prompted me to get the Zn1's. Mine obviously weren't as buggy of frustrating. It was charge find the right tips ( from ed3) listen the figure out eq placement and now there my second favorite behind my Havi's. My kz experience is Zn1, ed9, ate, edse, ed3 the ate over edse based more on comfort and utility than anythjng else. Still waiting for ed10's so not sure where they'll go.

THX for hanging in there with me sgl, left them on for a while and apparently the battery needed to reach some modicum of charge to display but we have lift off Houston
biggrin.gif
I take back every dirty rotten thing I said about these earlier
blink.gif
LOL I think I read in some previous post that these were heavy on the bass in passive mode so hopefully once charged I can see how the eq/amp section sounds with the controllable treble and bass
wink_face.gif
Don't give up Chief the ZS1's may be perfect since I'm going to assume they will be tuned differently
beerchug.gif

CAD, don't let user error/impatience deter you. I think these are going to be OK, at least function wise however unorthodox the design is!

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #6,854 of 63,884
No problem, yes the bsss is very different in passive mode. I actually don't care for them in passive mode. Mine did have a little breaking change as well, somewhere between 10 snf 20 hours. I had heard 20 minutes somewhere, but hey it took me longer than that to figure them out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back